Guardian home question

Amazetl

Hi, does anyone know when you agree to have a dog but the dog is still owned by the breeder whether they are responsible for keeping the dog registered in their name and at their residence or do they register it in their name but at your residence? How does that part work with council?

Thanks! 

I think you have to have it registered in your name at your home. If it escaped and ended up in the pound  you would be responsible for any and all fees, same if it caused damage. This would need to be written into the contract.

Yes I think that’s what I think too. Trying to figure out all the info seems difficult. I know that many breeders do guardian homes but not sure I really want to be a part of it. I was offered to do it years ago with a male and perhaps I should have but it didn’t feel right at the time. 

Guardian home means your contraced to keep animal entire & return for how ever many litters.You normally have paid full price with a refund,pup or some other deal at completion of contract .
You should still be the owner of the microchip paperwork & registered with your council per state law .
What owners need to remember is you will be paying an entire animal fee compared to a spayed animal fee which can be alot of money & some councils (state based) may require you to register as a breeder as you are keeping an entire animal ( this covers the fact you dont plan to breed.
You should be understanding your state/council dog ownership rules just as the person homing on guardianship should be understanding each states rules.

Your contract needs to clearly outline the expenses to whom whilst in guardian contract .

I co own dogs with agreement & have no issues BUT you need to be aware of the pros/cons  even understanding your pet insurance if you have taken it out reading the fime print for all aspects 

• Like 2

Is guardian home different from co-ownership? Do you need to also be a member of your state's purebred dog organisation? Do you both need to sign any official form for stud service etc?

The expenses and the complexities are piling up.

I know of breeders who have the first puppy from them in co-ownership so you do your apprenticeship as a suitable owner.

8 hours ago, Mairead said:

Is guardian home different from co-ownership? Do you need to also be a member of your state's purebred dog organisation? Do you both need to sign any official form for stud service etc?

The expenses and the complexities are piling up.

I know of breeders who have the first puppy from them in co-ownership so you do your apprenticeship as a suitable owner.

No Guardian homes means you have agreed to homing an entire animal that may/will be used for stud work or breeding bitch .
You dont have the official papers BUT should have the microchip papers .
Your contract is for the number of litters you agree too BUT all aspects should be covered in guardian homes .
It can work very well or very badly 

23 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

No Guardian homes means you have agreed to homing an entire animal that may/will be used for stud work or breeding bitch .
You dont have the official papers BUT should have the microchip papers .
Your contract is for the number of litters you agree too BUT all aspects should be covered in guardian homes .
It can work very well or very badly .
A co ownership in ANKC papers canstill be guardian & still requires a trusted agreement BUT most who post on here regarding Guardian homes are pet owners often signing up for 3/4 litters as they think therer getting a cheap dog for the deal