Activities to keep my blind dog active.

Jayrii

Hey guys,

I've been trying to look for things to keep my dog active now that he has gone blind. He is and 8 year old labrador and before he went blind we use to run him around a lot. He has lost his confidence to run around now and I'm worried his physical health is going to decline now that he doesn't much excersise anymore. At the moment we take him to doggy day care once a fortnight, play tug of war with him most days, put food out in the yard for him to find and I try to walk him but its very slow.

Does anyone have any other ideas for activities for him or toys that I could buy? I was thinking of increasing doggy day care because he loves it and he seems to come home buggered. He is obsessed with food so any ideas which  involve treats I would love to hear.

Hi @Jayrii 

hopefully some others here can suggest some solutions.

Here's a site especially for Labs https://www.thelabradorsite.com/blind-dog/

and you can buy a halo which will allow your dog to be outside without bumping in to stuff, some pics here

and maybe you or an electronics-geek friend can make one of these https://www.instructables.com/Sonar-Collar-for-Blind-Dogs/

and a video that may give you some good ideas

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 4

Interesting that he loves doggie daycare and is tired out by all the interaction with other dogs.  I'm guessing his sense of smell and even the vibrations from all the movement, give him the locational bearings he needs to be comfortable.  Have you ever observed  him at doggy daycare to see how it unfolds?  You might figure from that, that if more doggie daycare would help.

We had a Sheltie boy who went blind from a genetic disorder after he passed middle age. He actually got a lot of stimulation from our other Sheltie....a bossy girl who was always busy minding everyone else's business except her own!  The boy had the opposite temperament.... sweet, well- mannered and sensible.  And yet there was never a dull moment for him while the girl was awake....he'd be kept busy getting mixed up in her dramas.  They were always together & the boy was happy for it to be so.

Edited by Mitta

No personal experience, but just to say don't limit your expectationsl   I know blind dogs who train and compete in a variety of disciplines.  Tracking is one which your boy might enjoy.  We start with treats on little felt targets ... so that we know where we went ,,, starting with the tracklayer leaving a smelly sock on the ground,  then walking and placing a treat with a felt square and treat every step of the way you walked ....  and maybe only about 10 metres.  The track layer leaves a smelly sock at the start of the track  Then you bring the dog along on a lead and when you get to the start of the little track let the dog sniff the sock and treat reward for a good sniff of the sock, then not too fast, let the dog lead you along the track, picking up treats as he goesl  When he gets to the sock at the end, big party game and treats,   The socks become the super important things, and eventually that's what the dog is sniffing for,  Most dogs really enjy tracking and labradors are particularly good at it.   The dogs get physical and mental exercise, and they satisfy their needs to use their sense of smell.

I agree with asking if you can watch him at daycare to see whether he's tired because he interacts or tired because he's overwhelmed.

We have had blind dogs who adapted very easy and still enjoyed there walks .

We had to be there eyes and common sense but as a partnership they still very much enjoyed going out .

Scent classes could be a good start .

It's also important your not feeling sorry and limiting it's confidence when out n about .

Just think of this logically you wake up blind tomorrow it's a massive game changer ,your hearing works overtime,smells are different without sight this is where your dog is at .

Teach obedience,give it confidence in knowing commands all these things will be important as he ages anyway