Breed choice for my BFF

GenXmum

Hello Brains Trust!

I am researching breeds for my friend.  She recently lost her shi tzu x (rescue) unexpectedly.  She initially said she would not get another dog, but now she and her husband think they need a new family member.

They are over 50 and family members are 4 cats, middle aged and elderly, a Poodle x middle aged (miniature) and a Lhasa Apso elderly.

They have grassy outside areas and the dogs and cats are free to roam in and outside the house.  The dogs sleep with them in their bed.

My friend wants a Lhasa Apso, and her husband wants a Shi Tzu.

The Shi Tzu that passed was very yappy, and my friend has expressed that the household has been more peaceful since her passing.

The dogs are not walked much, but played with in the yard.

Both humans work full time and they go away alot but hire housesitters to care for the pets.

I would love to hear all your opinions for ANY breed you think may be suitable.

Im going to be that person & say it doesnt sound like they need another dog at present .
If away alot & a house full of seniors & dont really walk the dogs or get them out & about then no one can suggest a breed that will fit in & be ideal .

• Like 5

I've got  a , well too be honest i don't know what he is , first glance you would think definetly maltese   shitzu cross ,,, when his hair grows , he resembles a  westy , but defo not one , A groomer said to me he's definetly 100 % alph apso   certainly resembles one ,  temperament ,  he's  lazy   and sleeps , but a good watchdog  when he's awake , BUT he can be timid around other dogs ,  sometimes he'll mix sometimes he will not he'll get scared and run from them .

Given there situation  with other dogs and cats  , i would'nt be concerened over leaving them for the day when they have each other , but i would be concerned over getting a dog that might have timid traits ,  so that would leave one dog only for me    the one small dog i owned once that thought he was a big dog  , would be more than suitable for that scenario  and thats the AUSSIE TERRIER .  Said i would never get a small dog again but if i did it would defo be another Aussie  .  such a hardy dog .