Pup with Pavo

Nat clark

Hi I am looking for some advice as I've paid $2500 dollars for a puppy which has Pavo I've been informed that the since I've only had the dog since Sunday there is no doubt that the puppy already had the virus when I bought it legally where do I stand on this matter I've now realised after reading some of the posts on this site that this breeder in south Australia is a puppy farmer and I've made a massive mistake and I did rush in as my wife is dieing and I really wanted to cheer us and kids up a bit and it has backfired Theo also knew about my situation and it's making me furious because he rushed down to drop the puppy off even when I said we were not ready for it. Please any advice will be extremely appreciated 

• Sad 2

Have you let the breeder know? Did the pup come with "papers" from Dogs SA or MDBA? It is possible the breeder did not know if the pup was showing no signs of the disease. Under Victorian law you would/should get a full refund but not sure what SA does.

Do you have a record of any vaccinations or a vet check? Microchip details? The more information you have the better. If you have anything with a vet's or clinic's name I would be contacting them to find out if they have actually seen your puppy.

The other issue is do you want to keep the puppy? Because, as an animal is legally regarded as an object, the supplier can offer to take back the faulty item and replace it. 

Under Australian Consumer Law you could be entitled to "repair", replacement or compensation but it sounds like you may need a lawyer to handle it.

Edited by Mairead

Guessing - Amstaff,  Frenchie or Bulldog? :( 

I'm so sorry for your family and the puppy. What kind of test was done? As far as I know some can throw faint positive if the vaccine was recent. 

I only know NSW laws but 'in general' yes, a dog is an item of property and you are entitled to return a faulty item for a refund. 

Did you agree to or sign their Terms and Conditions? 

Regarding reimbursement for vet fees, that will depend on state regs I think but if you want compensation it's considered a civil matter and has to go through small claims court. 

How is the pup today? :pray:

• Like 1

I found two SA sites about this:

https://lawhandbook.sa.gov.au

in the section "Animals" "Selling Dogs and Cats" lists what information should have been provided to you.

It also mentions free and confidential legal advice from the Legal Services Commission South Australia,

phone 1300 366 424

Mon - Fri 9 - 4:30

https://www.sa.gov.au Australian Consumer Law, search for Refunds and Returns. 

Edited by Mairead
  • Like 1

Parvo can have a gestation time as little as 24-48 hours, depending on the strain... so depending on exactly when your pup started showing symptoms after you took possession of it on Sunday, it may be that it did NOT already have it when it was delivered to you.

Another thing to note is, as Powerlegs has noted, if your pup was vaccinated within the previous week before the parvo test, that can throw a false positive reading, as the vaccines use a modified live virus to elicit the immune response required.

Another option to look at could be vaccinosis. Vaccinosis is an adverse reaction to being vaccinated - similar to how some humans develop a bad cold soon after they get a flu shot - but is often less likely to be fatal to the affected individual. I have personally witnessed vaccinosis that presents with similar symptoms to, and tests positive for Parvo - this is more prevalent if the pup was also wormed the same day as they were vaccinated - essentially the pup's system has been overstimulated by all the preventative substances it has received within a short timeframe. Usually with vaccinosis, a day or two on a drip will see the pup supported enough to recover fully... Parvo may not necessarily have a positive outcome in very young pups, despite all efforts to treat the issue.

I suppose it all comes down to the following factors... was pup vaccinated within the previous week immediately prior to the Parvo test positive result, was pup sick before or after 24-48 hours in your care, and is pup responding really well to supportive treatment by the vet (expected to make a full recovery)?

Another thing to note is that some pups will get serious tummy upsets from a sudden change in diet - to the point of vomiting  and diarrhoea, which can look very much like Parvo symptoms. Were you feeding pup the same diet as the breeder had been up to the point you took possession?

All that said, if pup does have Parvo, and it can be proven beyond any reasonable doubt that the breeder knew (or suspected) that fact... then I am truly sorry for your predicament, and hope that the pup has a good outcome.

T.

• Like 3