Gastroesophageal reflux desease

Hi my cattledog has been diagnosed with gerd. Im confused as to what im meant to feed Maestro. He has  most his 12yrs eaten big dog raw food, most commonly kangaroo but also eats the lamb, beef, goat. Vet didnt mention anyrhing about food but research is telling me to avoid red meat, high protein and high fat. 

I contacted big dog and they said kangaroo would be suitable to continue feeding but im not sure if that correct. Also not sure if its bad for the esophagus with the small but decent size bone shards thats repeatedly in there food. 

Does anyone elses dog have gerd and continue to feed the premade raw??

They have white meat chicken and turkey but thats higher in fat. 

Im at a loss what im meant to be feeding now

Thankyou for reply.

My vet gave prescription omeprazole for the acid and prescription metoclopramide for nausea. Ive always fed 3 times a day. I dont know what to feed anymore. The first 3yrs he had biscuits but didnt digest any of them well thats when i started big dog

• Like 1

Thankyou yep will do.

All the vet mentioned was having elevated food bowl.

Hes on day 5 of that med and has been vomiting and diarrhoea, she prewarned bout the diarrhoea. Researching vomiting is a common side affect. The nausea med helps to a degree. 

• Sad 1

Ask about Famotidine. It's another reflux drug.

They can either order it, compound it or give you a prescription.

Some find it more effective or less harsh, and if you're getting side effects from the omeprazole which is a PPI, Famotidine is a different family. 

I only know this from a friend who researched so best to discuss with a vet so my knowledge is limited.  

• Like 2

I'm a human GERD sufferer and I really can eat whatever I like when on medication so I would also suggest trying another medication.  There are a lot available over the counter now so have a chat to your vet and see what else they recommend trying.  

• Like 3

He was meant to stop ppi medication yesterday hes only meant to be on it for 5 days. I spoke with vet today she said no need to change any of his diet which is full of red meat and salmon. Its contradictory to what the websites she told me to look at say. Im going to change food companies and experiment 

• 1 month later...

Call your vet and ask what they say about the food. As for omeprazole, I had a dog react badly to it, so keep an eye on your dog, you can check out common dog diseases at Petdisease it might be helpful
Give your dog snacks to recover because sick dogs often lose their appetite

Edited by Frankies