How can I sort my dog's teeth out?

MeAndMyBC

I have a 7 year old border collie and her teeth are yellow with plaque and tartar. She's fed mostly kibble but also some table scraps etc. I understand greenies aren't good (aren't healthy?) so looking for suggestions and advice - what can I get to help clean her teeth? Chew toys? Jerky?

7 hours ago, jemappelle said:

Raw meaty bones from the butcher.  Firstly though she may need a dental so I would be checking in with the vet first as you don't want any broken teeth.

I've started giving her chicken necks but not sure if they're "chewy" enough. We want to avoid having her teeth cleaned as it's under anesthesia, so hoping to get it in check a better way.

I second raw meaty bones. My butcher gives me bones for free when I buy other meat, so it's a winner. Just keep an eye on your dog if they're not used to bones, and keep an eye out for digestive upset if this is the case.

I also give my dog (also a collie) dried meat chews. I know they sound a bit gruesome but maybe consider bully sticks. I prefer to call them pizzle but there's more info here - https://www.petfoodreviews.com.au/bully-sticks/

You can also try brushing your dog's teeth as well? Even once a week! Might be the brand of dog food as well.

• Like 1

What bothers you about anaesthesia?

I gave raw beef marrow bones, straight after a meal for a new piece of bone then took them away when the softer honeycomb-looking end pieces had been eaten. The shafts are harder and can break teeth. Cutting the bones longitudinally might be considered too dangerous for the butcher but cross sections several cms long will allow the dog to get at the marrow. They did a good job on molars and premolars but for the base of the canines I used the edge of a teaspoon to chip off tartar.

Meaty bones, but definitely have her teeth seen to first.

A dental cleans up the scale, and checks for fractures that would crack under the pressure of bone chewing which is very painful.

Once a scale & polish is done, you can maintain healthy teeth for longer with bones. 

Unless she is chronically unwell, anaesthetic will be fine, :) you just opt for the pre-op blood panel to make sure her system is functioning properly. And post-op fluids will assist the flushing of anaesthetic if you choose to add that option.

My own personal opinion is to keep the kibble as a side-dish, snack or sprinkle. Contrary to how it can be promoted sometimes, it does not clean the teeth at all.