Shih tzu.....Allergies

pesh

Hi All
Need a hand please, as I know nothing of this breed. First off, not my dog, so I can't give answers straight off.
He's approx 2 and desexed, always been fed cooked meals: veges, meat which include turmeric.
The poor baby is licking the paws and basically scratching all over, to the point he's wearing and E collar. The groomer is aware of his situation and using appropriate treatment. Yes, he has been to the vet and is getting on-going advice.
My question: is there something breed specific people have found which could be triggering this?
Suggestion of what people have found successful would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.....

I get cytopoint injections for my mini schnauzer. She has an allergy which I believe to be seasonal/environmental. I can honestly say for the last 7 years she has started itching at the exact time. The injection works straight away and with her I only need to get it approx 3 times a year. 

• Like 1

Long post sorry! :eek: And I understand that they are under vet advice but this might help raise a few options/queries. 

So, not breed specific but;

The itchy dogs I've had have done well on a single protein diet (Prime 100 lamb) as an adjunct to any treatment.

If there's 'doggy smell' there is probably fungal/bacterial activity as well because the skin is inflamed. You can opt straight to Malaseb, but I like the vet to microscope a sample and see what's growing.

Antihistamines are worth a try - you can use many of the chemist ones but get the recommended brand and dose rate from the vet. Or the vet may stock Iramine.

Cytopoint gets a good rap.

Often, treatments are kickstarted by a short course of prednisolone to reduce the inflammation. Just be wary if the dog is prescribed course after course, it's not supposed to be used that way. 

Then there's Apoquel, also an oral med but is expensive ongoing so it's often left to last. 

If there's access to a veterinary dermatologist, that can be helpful to narrow down the exact allergen/s. It does sound like environmental. It used to just be called 'Summer Itch' as a catch-all term. :)  

Also worth noting that some dogs are allergic to contact with mould spores in garden mulch/leaf litter and can get set off every warm season.   

• Like 3