Hip Score/Second Opinion

Hi, Im new to the forums. I have recently had one of my bitches hips and elbows scored. The results are not good and my vet has advised to desex her. She is a brittany from very good bloodlines. The breed average is 11.5 for hips. Should I get a second opinion on her hips? I have attached a copy of her test results? I bought her as a breeding prospect from a respected breeder. 

Luna scores.png

• Like 1

I wouldn't breed her with that score. By all means get a 2nd opinion if you wish, even another set of xrays 1st, but the the Dr you sent the xrays to is one of the recommended ones.

Also no breeder can predict how a dogs hips will turn out, it's not as simple as "oh it's genetic"

I had a GSD with terrible hips from generations of hip scored dogs behind her. I know how I raised her. She was one of those "sh!t happens" dogs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deeds said:

I agree with Rebanne.  I wouldn't breed with that score .  Imagine the complaints you would get back if you had a litter with bad hips. 

It would be Greyshaft all over again!! :o

On 07/01/2024 at 3:40 PM, Tandabri said:

Hi, Im new to the forums. I have recently had one of my bitches hips and elbows scored. The results are not good and my vet has advised to desex her. She is a brittany from very good bloodlines. The breed average is 11.5 for hips. Should I get a second opinion on her hips? I have attached a copy of her test results? I bought her as a breeding prospect from a respected breeder. 

Luna scores.png

Welcome to the world of sh&t happens & what your future can look like as a breeder with what you keep & what you sell.
Plenty of good lines & respected breeders can produce things that we wish we didnt through no fault of their own(unless constantly breeding with high hip scores )
That magic wand just doesnt exist & why we do as much as possible to minimize the risk 
You can certainly get a 2nd opinion but even if redone with slightly better positioning the score wont drop much & the scorer would have noted bad positioning or needing to be redone .
As for desexing thats not something you have to rush to do especially is she is shown,a working dog or dogsports but certainly breeding would be off the agenda unless with discussion with the breeder & weighing up many pros/cons that she has something very special to offer that is very limited to Australia & then breeding very very carefully with full understanding of the risk .
The risk would have to have very special pros.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I definitely wouldn't breed on with this girl. I would do some investigations, if possible, to see where it has come from but, as others have said unfortunately sh!t happens. A good way to think about it is over the long term. Would you want to, 3 generations down the track, have to completely start again as this girl's issues are dominating your lines? I breed so I can have the dog I want in 20 years time.

• Like 1