2 or 3 vaccinations?

dee lee

Hi, last week I brought home our gorgeous 11week old Ridgeback puppy, Dolly from her breeder and (aside from our broken sleep & bitten ankles haha), she’s most amazing pup. We love her soooo much! 
She’s up to date with her 2 vaccinations- had most recent one a week ago and I was told that she wouldn’t need anymore shots for another year so no need to restrict her. I have also read this same info here on Dol.

However, I’ve just booked an introductory check up with my vet and they’ve told me that she WILL need another shot at 16 weeks. 
I’m confused! 
Can anyone give me any insight? 

Edited by dee lee
Correction
  • Like 1

Parvo has been nasty this year so I'd stick with a 3rd one. No idea if Lepto is still around (that's the C7), check with your vet. :) 

And .....photos please! :love:

• Like 1

I always did 7 weeks and 12 weeks C3 then the booster 12 months later. The 12 week one is the important one which your pup has not had but there is one brand of vacc that be given at 10 weeks which is full cover. Best ring your breeder for advice and if you don't want another vaccination your vet can't make you.

• Like 3

It's a question of, say, 95% protection or 99% protection.  Actual figures can't be given, the experiments would be horrific, and it varies between breeds.  Parvo is such an awful disease, I'd go for the 3rd jab.

• Like 2

I wish giving just a parvo shot was still available. 40 years ago you'd give a C3 one year and a parvo booster the next year. I don't know why that ever fell out of favour.

• Like 2

Thanks! I'll chat to the vet and breeder about all this, I think I have a bit better understanding now. 

And I finally managed to upload some pics (I forgot how!).
She is SOOOOOOOOOOO adorable!!! We are all in love. 
But its been a million years since I have had a puppy ... wowsers! I'm exhausted! :sleep: :laugh:
She's coming along great though. :heart:

IMG_8077.jpg

IMG_8087.jpg

IMG_8098.jpg

• Like 7

Depends what vaccine has been used and whether the vets second one was the same as the first one .
I would also consider if you have taken out pet insurance what the PDF says for coverage .

We only do 7 & 10 weeks but same brand .

Having said that there are factors that we would recommend the 16 weeks 
For example the areas off flooding brings out disease,high risk lifestyle,some breeds do parvo different & yes what vaccine was used 

• Like 1