My Dog Eats Cat Poo

Thanks t-time! I looked up the thread you referred to. It pretty much covers the info I put out there.

I agree with Ishtar's reference to enzymes. The dog has digestive enzymes which are generally triggered by enzymes in the ingested food. For example vegetables. But when we feed vegies, it is better to put them (raw) through a blender, or at least finely grate them. This breaks down the vegies and allows the dogs to digest the nutrients from them more easily than if we didn't.

You can try feeding your dog pineapple (if it's eating its own stool) or, if eating other animal's stool (eg your cat) you feed the pineapple to the cat. It has been thought that the presence of processed pineapple in the faeces renders the faeces unattractive therefore deterring the dog from ingesting the stools.

(Another school of thought is that "Bromelain", an enzyme found in pineapples and capable of digesting protein might actually aid your dog's protein absorption and if this was previously lacking then perhaps that's why your dog is seeking to eat faeces. But this would kill the theory in the preceding paragraph.)

Apparently, feeding a food additive (eg. MSG - Monosodium Glutamate has achieved some (limited) success. As I understand it, the presence of such a substance renders the faeces distasteful.

(So, if it's your cat's faeces the dog is eating, you'd need to feed these additives to your cat.)

What I'm not sure of and am hesitant about with the pineapple and food additives idea, is what the effect - long term or short - these substances might have on your dog's and/or cat's digestive system (and, cats being cats, wondering if they'd be fussy enough to refuse to eat it if it was in their food anyway) and if anyone were looking to try these methods I'd suggest they research further in this regard beforehand.

Finally, my thought on the subject is that, provided there is no medical related cause for the behaviour and the ingestion of the faeces is not causing your dog any harm (eg. picking up worms/parasites from other animals' faeces), eating faeces (their own or others) in moderation isn't necessarily abnormal so you might want to think about merely accepting the behaviour ...... and invest in some doggy mouth freshening tooth past as well!!!! :laugh:

Edited by Erny

Guest Ishtar

Nice that you remembered my post :laugh: My dog had a little poo eating problem so I had to do some research about it. I read an article about coprophagia (not sure about the spelling) by one respected finnish vet and the main points were the ones I posted on 14th May. Poo eating problem can be a difficult thing to solve!

This is what I posted earlier:

"reasons why dog might be eating poo:

-dog has worms

-dog is bored, curious etc

-dog has problems with its pancreas (not sure about the translation)

-dog has problems with digestion

-dog eats too much carbohydrates

-dog has problems with extracting enzymes (in this case pine apple might help)

-dog needs vitamins (mostly B or E)

Medical attention is needed in order to exclude the problems with internal organs. The eating of cats poo indicates that the dogs has problems with enzymes of digestion of proteins. The dog is trying to improve the digestion by eating cats poo which has "left over" enzymes. So the dog needs more enzymes and you could give to the dog for example kidneys (or heart or other intestinal organ). Also papaya, pine apple, fig ja pumpkin contain those enzymes."

I gave cows stomach, heart and liver to my dog and that seemed to be just what he needed.

Hi Ishtar - glad you found us! :shrug:

Sounds like you and Erny have really done some homework of benefit to all of us - thanks :laugh:

My little puppy was eating her own poo a few weeks ago. Coincidently, I gave her some ox heart (I got a couple of Tawny Frogmouths in care - it's not something I usually feed my dogs) and the poo-eating stopped.

So the theories definitely ring true for me. Don't find myself in need of pineapple!

I gave her some ox heart and the poo-eating stopped.

t-time - thanks for passing on the news of success. It always helps to know what things worked for who. Please remind me - was your dog eating his own poo, or that of other animals (I think you said others ... )

I've never owned a dog that wouldn't eat cat poo and my dogs get plenty of protein. As cats tend to be much more fussy about their food than dogs commercial cat food tends to smell stronger and is more palatable than dog food. Some of that smell still remains in the poo and as dogs are scavengers and are attracted to things by smell they are naturally attracted to cat poo. My dogs will also eat some other dogs' poo, especially if it's poo from a canned food fed dog. Once again I think the strong smell of canned dog food is still present in the faeces. They will also eat human poo (nappies) if they can get them! :laugh:

Interesting read.....

I've always thought my ACD ate any poo going (except dogs) because God made her one of his portable garbage disposal units. :shrug: (along with nearly every other ACD I've met)

The other dogs she has lived with over the years, who have been on the same diet as her have sometimes learnt her yukky traits, sometimes not, but I've watched them watch her repeatedly then maybe try it, not actually seek it out themselves.

She manages to sit and wait (just) while the poor cats are 'going', rushes out every morning to see whats been left under the possum tree and please, horse or cowpoo? Must, must, MUST eat it, roll in it, lick it then stand in it so she can lick her paws later....... then of course offer kisses all round.

What a charmer. :(:laugh::)

post-22-1117535191.jpg

Hedds as another ACD owner .........yep... cat poo is a treat , my dog watches where the cat goes in the backyard and if I don't remove it she darn well remembers where the cat took of to and rushes to eat the poo .

Gross , and there's nothing lacking in my dogs diet either , they just "LIKE" it :laugh:

and ooops she's been sprung , not supposed to be on the chair :shrug:

Edited by Christina77

... and there's nothing lacking in my dogs diet either , they just "LIKE" it :laugh:

I hope some of the readers have not misunderstood me - I don't mean that if the dog goes for poo that there is a dietary deficiency .... I mean that if a dog goes for poo, its diet is the first place I investigate to make sure it's not a dietary deficiency.

Maybe that's not what your comments are driving at, but I'm sorry if my message has not been clear and if there's been any misunderstanding.

Tbone and Poppy think that Fwuffy is a treat dispenser too....

Personally I don't think it has to do with deficiencies.... it has nutritional value to them and dogs are opportunists. I discourage my cat from crapping where the dogs can get to it.

I would like to see some research done... my thinking would be that 8 out of 10 dogs would go for the steaming moggy turds. :laugh:

Personally I don't think it has to do with deficiencies.... it has nutritional value to them and dogs are opportunists.

Blacklabrador - I hope that doesn't mean you'd turn a blind eye to the possibility of dietary deficiency. I agree - with the majority of dogs I'm in contact with who exhibit the behaviour, its a learned behaviour, often stemming initially from boredom. (Sometimes, of course, there's learned behaviour stemming from natural exploratory tendancies.)

However, because my mind is open to the possibility of dietary deficiency, I've been able to solve this behavioural 'problem' in a number of canines by recommending a change in diet. The dogs'/pups' short and longterm welfare has been better off for the dietary modification too.

Edited by Erny

Cats are purely carnivores...their poo has a higher level of protein, and most cat foods have a higher concentration of salt etc etc...that and the smell makes it not only a tasty treat but a warm one as well if they are quick enough :thumbsup:

Yes the steaming treat dispenser... Tbone would follow Fwuffy around all day if he could just waiting for the next treat to appear :thumbsup::laugh: :D

As my brother points out.... I really only ever have to feed the cat :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::rofl::rofl:

*Note - I do not allow my dogs to eat cat shyte.... but they are always so delighted on the rare occassion to find it in the garden that it is gone before I can stop them.

:thumbsup::laugh: I've got this image of a cat "Pezz" and the dog waiting .......

(Pezz is a lolly dispenser with usually some form of cartoon or animal head )

I was chatting to DH about this topic last night , and he mentioned that in some countries a dogs sole purpose it to clean up human waste and rubbish , that's all they would eat , scavanging anything they can find .

I wonder how dietry deficiencies fit in there ?

I can only imagine the short lifespan and spread if disease and bugs ewww , but I guess that's what goes on.

Our pooches are luckily :D

• 1 year later...