My Dog Eats Cat Poo

I think most dogs will do this if the opportunity arises.

Yum Yum Cat Gum!!

One of those litter trays with the lid and cat flap may help, turn the tray to face towards the wall with a space for cat to enter amy help.

Or a baby gate across the doorway to the cats toliet room.

We find it disgusting, dogs don't. ;)

My three think it is just great so now the litter tray is in the laundry with a kiddy door up at night time so they can't get to it. They always want to give kisses after being there yuk.

Read something in one of there threads somewhere about eating poo. If a dog eats it's own poo, it's normal but if it eats cat poo it is lacking in some nutrient. Can anyone else remember? Look back at a thread about eating poo and I'm sure you'll find it.

My dogs all supplement themselves with the cow pats and the horse droppings... ;)

Hi abz,

Major will consume "kitty crunchies" at any opportunity, hence the kitty litter is now locked off via a kiddy gate....

jacqui

coop & mango

chicken has a lot of protein but you need to give a balanced diet to make the most benefirt of it..

Jacqui

Sorry - I didn't mean to mislead anyone by my one syllable answer (and if you knew me and how much I talk, one syllable answers from me are rare and to be treasured! :laugh: )

Anyway, Nutritionist I'm not, but I feel a need to explain that, if I had a dog that was into (in this case) cat poo, I'd probably first investigate my dog's diet to determine that it was nutritionally balanced, particularly regards protein, given that's what cat poo is high in.

Provided I'd ruled out any nutritional deficiency or other medical reason why my dog might be seeking out the faeces of other animals, was appropriately "de-wormed" and looked happy and healthy, then I wouldn't be too concerned about the behaviour.

Eating other animal's faeces can also have come about by reasons such as boredom; attention seeking attempt; a learnt behaviour etc. (and he might just simply like it!)

However, I agree with "anne's" post - I don't like the idea of my dog being able to eat the cat litter and that this should be kept out of the way of your dog.

In her book "Clinical Behavioural Medicine for Small Animals" Karen Overall writes:

"Most dogs that are coprophagic (stool eating) are not fed a diet that is deficient in essential nutrients or vitamins, nor do they have a pancreatic enzyme disorder. ... No one has examined the role that scent and texture play in coprophagia, but there are numerous anecdotal reports of dogs actively seeking cat, rabbit, deer, and horse faeces, and frozen canine faeces. These substances are appealing to some extent to most dogs, suggesting that there might be evolutionary factors associated with coprophagia that are underappreciated. Dogs, even extant wolves, have a well-documented history of scavenging for food, and coprophagia may be a behaviour that is a remnat of that history. ... At some level many coprophagic behaviours involve play, sampling, and learning."

I don't agree with "t-time's" (apt name for this topic, don't you think? :laugh: ) statement that "if a dog eats its own poo, it's normal." Although I acknowledge, t-time, that you were actually trying to re-call something you'd read.

Dogs who eat their own faeces could be symptomatic of a number of things, including:

1. Boredom

2. Dietary imbalance

3. Bad housetraining methods (eg. People who punish the dog for soiling in the house ... dog learns he gets in trouble when 3 factors come together. ie the human, the dog and the poo. So dog eats poo to get rid of the "evidence" or 3rd factor :rofl: )

4. Malabsorption problem. (feeding 2 meals a day instead of all in one hit can help here.)

5. Attention seeking attempts.

6. Learnt behaviour (inadvertently reinforced)

As for "frozen canine faeces" (in Karen Overall's text above) .... don't think I'll visit her refridgerator! :rofl:

My understanding has always been that dogs eat poo because they can't (some can't?) digest protein as well as we can, and they can digest it much m ore successfully if another animal has partially digested it already.

My theory is - they eat it 'cause they're yucky and they LIKE IT. Eeeeewies.

My lot eat..chook, cat, possum, rabbit and wallaby poo. Not their own though. Thankfully!!!

Never read the book discussed, "Clinical Behavioural Medicine For Small Animals" - WOW! - you're really into this Erny :laugh: . Just remembering this previous thread..think it might have been Steve who wrote it. I know I'm going to have to back and find it now :laugh:

I FOUND IT!!!

:eek: ;) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:laugh::rofl::rofl::eek: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

OK everyone. I don't know how to put the link in here so I'll just let you know where it is:

"Poo Eating Habit" posted on 14th May, Page 13 of the General Dog Discussion.

The forum member who wrote about the cat poo was "Ishtar" from Finland :eek: , not Steve as I had thought. :laugh:

As usual, forum members are NOT experts but I knew I'd seen this somewhere and he's got a bit of a suggestion regarding the eating of cat poo. Sounds like someone else on that thread has read "Clinical Behavioural Medicine For Small Animals" too!! :D

Thanks for being so patient with me, I'm so technophobic!