How Much Chicken Should L Give My Dog

how much chicken should l give my dog. 2 1/2 year old staffy l feed him 2 dog cups of supacoat with chicken .I give him boiled chicken meat about 2 or 3 drumsticks mixed with the dry food.Or sometimes 1 chicken fillet. other times mince meat. 250grams of mince meat with dry dog food. he weighs 22 kg l really dont know if l am over feeding him.He will get treats of ham or strass or smackos.

any ideas on the chicken???

Edited by goldy

Why are you cooking the chicken? Dogs evolved from Wolves, who eat their carcasses raw. If trying to give a semi-natural diet to your dog then raw chicken (bone in) as well as lamb and other raw meaty bones (RMB) will do wonders.

I have tried giving him raw bones he won't eat them some are sliced in half from the butcher .How much raw chicken should l give? Somene told me to boil it.

When he was younger l fed him raw chicken neck now he won't eat them.

Edited by goldy

Guest Tess32

We give a lot of chicken, mostly raw chicken fillets but also some roast chicken as they adore it. Also chicken necks raw.

Never thought about giving a full carcasse!

Nat

I feed mine raw chicken necks and raw chicken wings quite regularly. She gets quite a variety including supercoat and rice/vegies etc. A couple days ago I picked up some pet mince 2kg for $1.50. I was a bit iffy about pet mince but this was a lighter colour and didnt look as gross as some of the stuff Ive seen over the years. Butcher said it was minced chicken. Doggy loves it. Has to be frozen if not used straight away though.

Oh and for special treats she sometimes gets some Red Rooster morsels :laugh:

Oh and for special treats she sometimes gets some Red Rooster morsels 

Tinsel now wants to come and live with you Cheryl :laugh:

Cheers Kate

I couldnt cope with two rascally blue Smoothies :laugh:

Rosie says to tell Tinsel that she will happily send the empty Red Rooster box for her to sniff!

Mine get a raw chicken carcass at least twice a week.

One for little miss fatso, 2 for Banjo boy.

They love em. :laugh:

If he wont eat chicken necks though Goldy, you might be wasting your time buying whole carcasses.

Is he overweight? Is he keen and happy to see his dinner? Would you describe him as fussy?

Guest Tess32

Oh I forgot chicken mince - although they BOTH had runny poop today and I think that was the culprit.

Nat

dear hedds

He is fussy when it comes to dry dog food turns his nose up at it but when the chicken is added he will eat it. When he was younder he had some raw bones l think he choked on some bone very sharp splinters l just worry when he eats these the sharp dagger points. MY friend gave me a whole heap of chicken necks he wouldnt eat them had to give them back . He is keen for dinner.Should they be fed once a day or two meals but halved. He usually eats at 6.oo pm but sometimes l think he would like lunch after his morning walk

goldy

You need RAW chicken ON THE BONE . Wings, necks carcasses.

Feeding any meat without bone causes an in balance with your minerals especially those which keep bones and joints in order.

Cooked chicken has no benefit for the dog whatsoever.

Its better to give the chicken on its own in a seperate meal to your dry food . Anything the dog doesnt eat in 15 mins take away .

Oh I forgot chicken mince - although they BOTH had runny poop today and I think that was the culprit.

Nat

No problem whatsoever with the chicken mince here - I guess theres variation in the origin, processing, additives (if any), storage etc. Or maybe different metabolisms? Fortunately (so far) Rosie hasnt had the runs from anything and she tends to eat most things I give her (I believe in variety!). Having said that, she does think she needs to eat what we are having. Still knowing how much she LOVES dim sims and Red Rooster I only give them as very special treats when I am training or encouraging her to try something 'scary' :laugh:

Guest Tess32

They've had it lots of times with no ill effects, so not sure, could have been anything. It was human grade chicken mince as well. Probably too many pig ears actually :laugh:

Nat

They've had it lots of times with no ill effects, so not sure, could have been anything. It was human grade chicken mince as well.  Probably too many pig ears actually  :laugh:

Nat

Oh yeah, madam devours pig ears and pig snouts but we tend to give them when we have to go out for a couple hours and cant take her with. Her latest yummy (dog grade) snack is some type of beef jerky flat biscuit (was a present from someone so dont know the brand) and also dried beef (my pockets are always full of crumbs these days)

Edited to add: pockets full of crumbs and laundry always covered in muddy paw prints!

Edited by chezzyr

Guest Tess32

I had a pig snout but don't want to give them cos I can't stand the smell.

I give pig ears at night sometimes when I want to groom Reilly as it keeps him nice and preoccupied.

Nat

Quote from Steve 'Cooked chicken has no benefit for the dog whatsoever.

Its better to give the chicken on its own in a seperate meal to your dry food . Anything the dog doesnt eat in 15 mins take away'

Thanks steve this is what l needed to know. The chicken and the dry dog food.

He eats all his food in 1 minute he has a raw hide bone after dinner loves to get his teeth into them but has a process of taking the head off first then he goes for the center bit pulls it out and thats it l am happy goes to sleep he is a staffy .Also the vets have said he had beautiful teeth.

l will give the chicken necks another go l know the breeders feed them to their dogs. He doesnt like pigs ears.

Edited by goldy

My lil' itsy bitsy 5 month old pup gets a whole frame to munch on.

Gave her a lamb off-cut bone thing last night and she loved that too but it got stuck in her teeth and mouth was "glued" shut. She nearly choked to death before we realised. :laugh:

Will be sticking to the frames for a while methinks :shrug: