Finding A Good Vet, Recommendations?

Is it just me or is it close to impossible to find a good vet these days? I have been to so many and have only found one I liked. The trouble is he is so hard to get an appointment with and the other vets at his clinic are twits! Please can anyone recommend someone?

I totally understand your problem. I encountered 2 vets who misdiagnosed my pup as having serious defects when he was fine! I can only say the vet we saw last time was good, Ross McGregor at Syd Uni... but you are in melbourne so I guess that was totally unhelpful. At least I can say you are not alone Haven!

Guest Tess32

About the only vets I like are Murray and Anna from Brighton Vet Clinic and Chris from Karingal.

Nat

I would never go past Dr Carl Muller at Prahran Veterinary Hospital in Toorak/Prahran border. Is reknown and also uses accupunture (and teaches it because he has been doing it so long and so qualified), herbs, bach flowers etc. He is brilliant and extended my dearly departed boys life by a number of years when other very, very well regarded vets couldn't. He really cares, is thorough. The vets at that practice are in my experience all great, and at least one other uses not just western approaches. Cannot recommend enough. Coming off the Toorak Rd from S.E. took no time, or cuting accross from the Eastern through Hawthorn. Ahhhhhh Melbourne, how I miss it! Given the location, not babdy priced. Not cheap, but not highly expensive and consults are not 2 minute jobs.

Hi Haven,

If Robin Wilson was still practicing in Nth Ringwood I would send you to him. He still does home visits to my friend's house and was my vet when we lived out that way. He came out to his surgery one night to try and save my old girl's life, he did everything he could but her heart gave out poor lass :thumbsup: Nowadays he has some involvement with the Animal Aid in Coldstream but don't know if he has a practice there as such. I used to go to the vets on the hill coming in to Lillydale from Chirnside too but I can't remember their names :laugh: .

Cheers,

Corine

Haven

I'm another fan of Rowville Veterinary Clinic. :(

Kerry and her staff are truely caring, compasionate and dedicated doggie people.

In an emergency i.e. car accident, :eek::rofl: I tend to go to the very closet vet available, then to my trusted vet (Rowville) after the emergency is stabilised.

Hi Haven - I'm in the same area as you and only use Dr Peter Verheof of Croydon Pet Hospital Dorset Rd & Maroondah Hwy Ph 9727 4004.

Have used him for a number of years on general dog problems as well as breeding problems and he has always given me great service.

There is also Dr. Vanessa Gaven (think that is right spelling) used her a number of years ago and she was also very good - has just opened a new practive in East Ringwood.

Hope this is of some assistance - if you need to know anymore then feel free to PM me

I have been all over the place as well great to get some names for other vets.

l liked the RSPCA Burwood they knew straight away that my pup had mange( and my fee bill goes towards helping the homeless animals) where as the other place(Vet) l went to first didnt have a clue .

I am interested in this Rowville vet.

Edited by goldy

Hi haven, you must live near me! :( I always go to Ray Ferguson or Mark Foley at Monash Veterinary Clinic in Clayton, they are both excellent, two of the best vets I have ever come across. For emergencies I would recommend Dr Roslyn Fleay at Chirnside Park Veterinary Clinic, she is also brilliant. I have complete trust in any of these vets.

Hi Haven,

I also go to Ray Ferguson at Monash (i live in Narre Warren, so i travel about 25 mins to get to him). We have also seen Stuart at that surgery, who is young, but very good (haven't been to Mark Foley, but have heard he's also excellent). They are on the corner of the Princess Hwy and North/Wellington Road, so fairly easy to get to. I guess it depends on what you're after. If you intend on doing any breeding, this is definitely the place to go! Best of luck!

Chirnside Park would be a good clinic for you. (Switchback Rd.)

I also used Stud Park before I was a nurse, and use them occasionally when my dogs are ill on the weekends or late evenings....they are open 8am-9pm weekdays, and 10-6 on weekends I think, so they have fantastic business hours. I'm a big fan of Bob Cavey but any of the Vets there are great.

In an emergency I would go to the nearest clinic....no hesitation.

Mel.

Hi Haven! I live near you too. Between Ringwood and Lilydale? Sounds like Mooroolbark, Croydon or Chirnside Park.

Well I take Jyra to Peter Verhoef at Croydon Pet Hospital, Cnr Dorset Road/Bellara Drive, just off Maroondah Highway. I see it was also mentioned by someone else.

I have found Peter to be lovely and he really seems to love Jyra too.