Ear Ideas

OK Kids!

Capitals and punctuation aside - I did try to get onto the blue power website but the info was in PDF format and was going to take 17 minutes to download!!! I'll get to it soon but in the meantime, I'll see about getting him to the vet.

Incidently, the owners had been in touch with his original breeder who has a friend etc etc

The owners are expecting some new "wonder" drops in the post via the breeder and I'm actually wondering if this could be Blue Power. Apparently what they are getting is not available from the chemists in Qld but is available in NSW. Maybe you can't buy Gentian Violet over the counter in QLD any more? My mother is a hoarding ex-nurse so it is highly likely she still has some in the cupboard from when I was born!!! Just kidding - of course I wouldn't use that even if she did have it!

Anyway, will keep you updated as I have my first visit with the GD tomorrow.

I am going to stick to the routine they have given me for starters. Don't get cross with me - like I said, these other drops may have arrived and maybe exactly what you are talking about.

If the new drops do contain any alcohol, I will get a vet appointment asap - and hope they will let me pay at the end of the month...

Trying to do the right thing ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that you used no punctuation other than bolding and "shouting" (ie capital letters) that could give one this impression

With all due respect, Anne, if you are going to quote, it is probably best to quote the ENTIRE sentence so as to retain context.

t-time, Gentian Violet is not available anywhere in Australia now unless it is mixed up by a chemist (the formula is readily available if you Google it and most chemists should be able to mix it). It doesn't really matter how old Gentian Violet is, so if your mother did have some stashed away, provided it hasn't evaporated ;) it would probably still be ok. I have my original bottle which was sent by a friend in the USA a few years ago now and still have enough for quite a few years worth of Blue Power. Another friend of mine has had her bottle for nearly 10 years and it is apparently showing no degradation in quality. So you might just be in luck.

PM me if you'd like me to send the BP information in another method.

Did you check with the people that are house sitting... I have a pet care business and before the owners go away I make sure that the pets respective vets have been notified that they are going on holidays and I will be looking after them from a to b, and the owners agree to a over the phone credit crd transaction if the vet requires...

Koe'Vu, I do know the vet the owners have been taking him to and as mentioned earlier in my posts, he's not a good dog vet - great with cats! We live in a rural area (the cat vet is the closest) and my personal vet who's almost an idiot savant when it comes to dogs, is 40 minutes away - but worth it.

I have discussed taking the GD to my vet with the owners and they said they would take him when they get back from NZ as they really wanted to get his ears sorted out. Their heart is in the right place but the timing is shocking. They have had an unsatisfying time with the cat vet (who didn't even check the GD over properly as he was obviously terrified of him!! The GD is a lamb as are most GDs IMO).

Ellz: I am going to PM you for that formula - God I'd like broadband!

An update on the poor fellow:

Went to clean out his ears on Thursday and they were leaking greenish pus which was sticking to his hair down his face - I nearly cried when I saw him.

It was soooo disgusting and smelly and I gagged often.

The new stuff arrived and it is called Toppi Toppi - a by product of the ti-tree industry and used as wound treatment for small animals. Apparently worked wonders for several other GD breeders.

However, as it's ti-tree I was sure it would sting like crazy. I used some of it to wipe up all the muck around his ears and face and his ear flaps. The one ear flap is now so injured from him shaking his head that it will probably need to be stitched up by the vet.

I cleaned his ears enough to see inside and I could SEE ulcers. :cheers:

I used water to wipe the rest of the gunk out as well as I could as I didn't want to hurt him and it was obvious that as gentle as I was being, it still hurt him.

Can't believe how bad this is. Feel so sorry for the poor boy.

Went home and called the owners in NZ (on their MOBILE!! Yikes, how much is that going to cost?!!) and talked them into letting me take him to the good vet. He is booked in tomorrow.

BUT they said they would only pay for consultation and medication - they won't pay for him to be put under anaesthetic or have any operations. :rofl: As he's 6 years old and a rescue dog and has already cost them about $700, they will euthanise him when they return if the vet thinks an operation is needed. :laugh:

Will have another update tomorrow....

What a sad excuse for a human being - put the dog down because he's a rescue and not worth spending money on? I notice they are happy to spend money on an overseas trip though.....accuse me of being ignorant of the facts - I don't give a rat's....these people shouldn't have taken the dog if they were not prepared to spend money to ensure his health. Bastards.

t-time - as a matter of interest are you getting paid to mind him? I'd be surprised if you are - seems they are happy for people to do things as long as it doesn't cost money.

As the owners obviously don't care about the ongoing welfare and comfort of the dog I would take him to the vet, at their expense and have the consult done and if an operation is necessary, I would be returning him to whichever Rescue organisation he came from in the first place. Doesn't sound as though the current owners would mind if they are going to have him euthanised anyway.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't sound as though the owners are as nice people as you'd originally painted them and I for one do not consider their actions humane OR caring.

That dog is best off with someone who truly cares!

:)

A general anaesthetic for ear flushing, with ear swabs sent for testing to see what bacteria is growing is NORMAL protocol for badly infected ears...any responsible pet owner would agree to it.

That the ears have gotten so bad sounds as though the owners have refused a GA and ear flush before.

That is just plain neglect IMO...it's refusing to give basic medical care to a dog. I have seen some bad infections but have never seen a dog with green puss. :)

He must be in so much discomfort, he probably has perforated eardrums to boot with an infection that bad.

The last time one of my dogs was head shaking they were seen to straight away, there were few yeasts seen after a swab and they didn't even look infected to the Vet examining, but itchy ears are uncomfortable enough....I can't imagine how badly this dog would feel.

:rofl::eek::(

Mel.

I'm afraid I just cannot comprehend somebody who takes on a dog from a Rescue Organisation and then will not provide that dog with WHATEVER it needs to make the rest of its life comfortable.

Heck, I'm the sucker who imported a 7 year old American Cocker stud dog from the USA, knowing he'd never been eye or hip tested in his life but promising to give him the VERY best of everything to make up to him for the sh*tty life he'd already led in the USA. I won't even go into how much my bleeding heart episode cost me, but he was worth EVERY cent. I had him OFA'd in Hawaii en route and his eyes were done for the first time in his LIFE and I made a vow that even if he'd been blind and dysplastic there was no way he was NOT coming.

I'm no millionaire but EVERYTHING I have goes towards the comfort of my kids and animals (and not necessarily always in that order either).

I'm simply appalled and I think this has given me yet another clause to add to my sales agreement and/or initial Questionnaire and if I had anything to do with GD Rescue, I would certainly give MAJOR (unfavourable) consideration to any attempt by these people to adopt anything else in the future!

Another update:

Been to the vet on Sat.

Major ear infections in both ears and mild "cross-over" infection to his eyes.

Cleaned out his ears and it took 3 of us to hold him still, poor baby. Vet decided with me in agreeance that his ears definitely needed syringing. He could not put the dog under GA as advised by the owners.

Must of hurt but his growls turned to pleasurable whines as his ears were unblocked and soothed by the local the vet put in.

Vet and vet nurse were appalled by the stench as I brought him in to be weighed - he is still 15 kg underweight (56kg approx.) Don't forget,he's a 6 yr old entire male :mad

Managed to spray blood and pus up the walls of the consultation room after he shook his head pre-cleaning.

Worst case of Entropian the vet has ever seen and recommends the owner take him to an eye surgeon for surgical correction- yeah, RIGHT. Like that's going to happen... must tell the breeder too.

Eye problems mainly due to Entropian rather than infection but the vet has provided some antibiotics to improve the pus-eye situation as some cross-infection may be present.

Vet felt that systemic antibiotics were preferable but given the owners' stance on money vs euthanasia he opted for a hopeful topical antibiotic treatment (still expensive but cheaper than systemic).

Tried to get hold of the owners all weekend on their mobile to no avail. Dog is supposed to have treatment twice daily and despite discussing it with the "house sitter" she won't do it. I am only paid for a visit every second day.

Sucker me thinks "I'll just do it twice a day until I can contact the tight-wad neighbours to see if they will pay me for 2 visits a day".

Shock HORROR - nearly fell over today when they returned my call and said they'll pay whatever it takes as far as my visits are concerned. Isn't that great??!!! :mad

Today, we are looking at a different dog. He is happy to see me, quite content to let me clean his ears and best of all - no green PUS!!!! :mad

Will write another update soon.

Thanks for all your concern and advice DOLers. :(

t-time ..... how lucky this dog is to have you come out to see him. You should be admired for your dedication and compassion.

As to the dog's owners ... :mad

How long is the treatment to continue .... and (gulp) when do the owners return ( :( ) - going by the story thus far, I'm dubious they'll bother to continue with the care. :mad

Thanks for the compliment Erny. I don't want a medal. Seeing him come bounding up to the gate wagging his tail was enough reward. He's so much happier.

As for the owners, I have been to-ing and fro-ing about my feelings and the opinions of others. There have been a lot of shocking side threads to this situation but then other positives I can't fault the owners for:

1. Getting an extra person to clean his ears during their absence because they realised his ears needed special attention.

2. They have taken the dog to the vet 5 times in 8 weeks (before I took him to the second vet).

3. They did get him from a rescue society and he is an older Dane.

4. They have put weight on the dog since getting him.

5. They have cleared up his skin condition quite well.

6. They did agree to have the second vet see him when I suggested it.

7. With all the problems they were having with him, they did contact the rescue person again, found the original breeder and went online when the vet advice didn't seem to be working.

I can't help but think they have done a lot for the dog but have just had poor advice and vet treatment.

On the negative side:

I don't really agree with the euthanasia vs money vs rescue dog philosophy but other people aren't the same as "us". This was further compounded when the house-sitter confirmed that the owner is a real tight wad. I believe the dog should go back to rescue if they intend to euthanase him and I will say that to the owners if that's what it comes to when they return (end of the month). No reason why that can't happen and in fact, even though I can't have another dog I will get him fixed up and find him a new home MYSELF if it comes to that! (Watch the rescue threads guys - I can't see them paying for the op for his eyes)

Also, he's getting pretty crap food - Scotty's rolls (200grams! - not enough!) and dry bikkies the variety of which, I'm not certain. The house-sitter has been ordered by the vet and by me to increase the amount of food he is getting at least until he hits target weight. I remember my Grandma's Danes used to get like a kilo of meat each day!! I don't know really how much a Dane is supposed to get normally but let's not forget he is severely underweight.

They don't give their dogs bones :D . Apparently, the last Dane got bitten by a snake and that was because the bones are bloody and attract snakes :) - what sort of crap is that!!!??? Anyway, fixed that up quick smart and the house-sitter bought them bones from the butchers - they relished them of course - and I just told the house sitter that if that's what the owners are concerned about, pick the bones up after an hour or 3 and put them back in the fridge until the next day. Can't believe some of the shite people believe!!!

Also both the dogs are in desperate need of a BATH. I will rectify that this week as soon as I can get access to some warm water - it's pretty cold up here on the mountain and there is a major water shortage and a lot of people aren't bathing their dogs BUT - too bad.... :laugh:

OMG!

I know that the owners have finally allowed the right treatment BUT that poor bloody dog should have been taken to a vet a long time ago. It should never have even be allowed to get to this stage.

Lucky for that poor boy - you were there for him, t-time and I do hope that those owners learn a lesson and never let any problems get to that stage ever again!!!!!

Aside from the unnecesasry pain it caused him - it would have saved them a bundle of money!

Edited by Ci