What Do You Use To Walk Your Dog

I walk my lab x pup in a flat collar, and my collie in a harness which I know most people would frown at but she's blind and both she and I are more confident knowing I can fish her out of trouble without putting any stress on her throat! Also she slips collars over her pointy little head!

I walk my lab x pup in a flat collar, and my collie in a harness which I know most people would frown at but she's blind and both she and I are more confident knowing I can fish her out of trouble without putting any stress on her throat! Also she slips collars over her pointy little head!

why would people frown upon it, just interested,

oh yeah i walk my dog with just his usual collar (which now matches his leash) :fetch:

When we walk locally I put a harness on them, they don't pull usually (unless they see a possum or cat) and I like how the lead doesn't get under their legs with the harness.

If we are somewhere new and exciting I use a flat collar or in extreme excitement we use a halti. :(

Prong collar and lead, except at obedience school where it's a check chain and leash.

He's always been quite good at walking on a loosh leash, but since I started using the prong he's been great. :(

And strangely enough, walking on the prong most of the time seems to have improved his loose leash walking on other types of collars as well.

Edited by Amhailte

Great Dane on a Harness to prevent neck stress and because we both feel confident, she's just not herself on a flat collar, I would like to see her just on a flat collar one day though.

Foster pooch on a flat collar, he's very slow and doesn't need any correction on walks.

flat collar for normal walks with lucy (as long as i just take her) coz she doesn't pull when just us go walking, but she does like to walk ahead, just doesn't drag me.

mum walks them both on flat i think, but when lucy is with maddie she pulls to walk beside maddie coz maddie pulls. i can't stand them pulling so i don't walk maddie.

I like to distinguish between "work" and "play", so use a check chain when we are at obedience class and either a flat collar or one of those collars which are 1/2 flat and 1/2 check (sorry i can't remember what they're called) when we go on walks.

My 5 year old Aussie TerrierX walks just behind my right heel constantly wether we are at home or out for a walk. I only put him on a lead because of the law.

My 10 month old Smithfield X Border Collie is starting to walk very nicely on my left side with a harness.

I have tried several things with him like a check chain and Halti but at the suggestion of my dog obedience trainer I tried a harness and this seems to suit him well.

As we live on a farm with plenty of room for running free I have to make time to put him in the harness and make him walk nicely. We either go into town and walk around or I put his harness on and we walk all the country roads, although this is not so nice on dark winter night with no street lights. :(

2" wide flat collars :mad:(

(It's so the greyhounds don't damage their necks/airways, as they can be rather strong when walking in certain situations :mad - you can see them in my Signature pics below)

The GAP greys are usually adopted out with a martingale collar - and any training during their time with a foster carer, is done in a martingale collar (some foster carers also use halti's). :mad

Edited by Kez

I live in a semi rural environment, so apart from conditioning my dogs to being on lead, after puppy training, they do not require any collar or lead for walking.

I get comments all the time even when I walk at the local park past tennis courts and such, as I normally take 3 dogs at once, all heel until I release them.

Normal walking is done on a flat leather collar (unless it's somewhere really exciting, new, or where there will be heaps of other dogs).

Training is now done with a training (slip) collar - thanks to Tilly who gave me hers! Which is working out really well at the moment.