Does Anyone Know

Hello all

I was wondering if anyone might know - my dog Bomber has had this funny hacking 'cough' that just comes on suddenly every now and then. It has happened all his life. No vet can find anything wrong with him.

It can happen when he get excited, or sometimes at night, or sometimes when he is just sitting there.

All of a sudden he just jumps up and puts his neck out straight and starts coughing like he has hair balls (honestly, my husband thinks he licks the cat and gets hairballs :wave: ). He gets quite 'embarrased' about it and puts his back to you while he does it.

It can go on for about a minute, then he is fine.

A couple of months ago a friend of the lady we got him from was over at my house and heard him doing it. She asked me if I had ever found out why it happened, because his Dad always did the same thing. Apparantly one vet said that it could be a problem with his neck but tests were inconclusive. :idea:

I am stumped. Any ideas? :)

Jen

Hi Jenny,

Did they put him under any anaesthesia and take a look (although because the anaesthesia relaxes everything, it can sometimes give inconclusive results) ??

I don't know much about that "area" - but I have a bitch that is a candidate for similar "tests", depending a vet visit next weekend.

Sorry I couldn't help any further, good luck with finding out what it is :wave:

Is it a sort of a 'gaggy' cough? Hard to explain - a cough but not deep as from the chest but more as if he's trying to cough up something stuck in his throat? Sam has had this type of cough for ages also he appears to do a lot of swallowing, not bit gulpy swallowing just small licky sort of swallows - boy, it's hard to explain. Had numerous Vet trips and all sorts of medication and treatment.

We currently show shih tzu's and have one Monte that has this problem. As it has been stated it could be hair but more often the reverse hicc-up. we have found that it is excitement, fright and jerking on the lead that can cause it. it doesn't last long but nearly always at the worst of times

Obviously its impossible to say what it is without ever hearing or see your dog, but a condition called "dynamic airway disease" (DAD) may be the problem.

DAD is pretty much as the name describes, a condition that causes airway dysfunction to varying degrees depending on environmental factors, anatomical factors and things such as exercise. Small breeds that "honk" when walked on a lead often have tracheas that aren't as tough as they could be, they are easily compressed which leads to irritation causing a cough. Brachycephalic (short faced) breeds like pugs and Cavaliers often have a long soft palate which can be responsible for what is commonly called reverse sneezing, along with house-shaking snoring.

Of course, there are lots of other things that can result in coughing, some fairly benign (the weather, dust, colds) and some more sinister (heart failure, neoplasia). Given the long time that this coughing has been occuring, its less likely to be something sinister. If you are concerned by it, you could ask your vet if they feel radiographs might be worthwhile. This would rule out things affecting his lungs, and with some luck can show up any problems with tracheas.

It could be tonsils but Sam had his out and didn't make a bit of difference. He would also have slight swelling under the jaw which would be there one day and gone the next. At the moment he has swelling again and if it's still there Monday we are off to the Vet again. It is just soft swelling, no lumps and never appears to worry him, still eats and drinks OK. and no reaction to touch but it's been there since early yesterday, longest it has persisted.

ETA - Sam had his chest Xrayed - nothing! He never does it when on a lead and when he was under for the tonsil op. Vet couldn't find any abnormalities anywhere. He also had a tooth out which had a gum infection, thought this might have caused it due to a bit of inflamation from the tooth - again - no difference. Got to be something to cause the swelling (although barely noticable) so I'm looking for ideas too.

Edited by pebbles

Coco had a cough that sounds like what you are describing and his vet said that it was reverse sneezing. It sounded nothing like a sneeze, just a cough as if he was trying to clear his throat. I used to rub his throat when he started.

One of my old dogs has bad adnoids (which cant be removed in dogs)every so often he has a horrid hack sorta cough/clearing the throat,it comes & goes & meds do relieve the problem but we try to advoid them where possible .We have learnt not to worry as its just him but it can be embarrassing when people here it

I cant say ive noticed swelling but as a result of his problem his teeth have detoriated much quicker .

The main associated problem we find is when he has a flair up he gets bad ears as its all connected

Thanks, Showdog, Sam did have one molar which had to be removed, others all good. This was last January, had his tonsils out in February. He has never had any problem with ears. Vet. is a bit mystified about it. I've been back and forward since last October trying to track down what it is. As the cough/gag didn't seem to be worrying him I wouldn't have worried but this swelling has me a bit concerned altho. it's only very slight.

eta - sorry Jen. don't mean to hi-jack your thread :wave:

Edited by pebbles

eta - sorry Jen. don't mean to hi-jack your thread :idea:

Ha Ha no probs

Hmm the vet has never put him under to have a look (of course, just the same as us as soon as you get to the doctor you cant make the problem happen! :wave: )

He doesnt do it when he is on a lead and I would have to describe it as a whooping cough.

The reverse sneezing thing is interesting - for some reason I have seen something written about that just recently and started to wonder.

Hmm, I think I might take him back to the vet and see if they thing that could be it (and I see I can get a homeopathic treatment for that from my homeopathic vet so I might give it a try).

Thanks everyone!!

Jen

Hey Jen,

Our girl does that too!!!! We were so scared - sounded like she was choking, and it happens when she gets excited. Its like she's got fur balls. I'm probably going to take her to the vet this week.

let me know what you find out.

Its like she's got fur balls.

My husband truly does think he has fur balls - from licking the cat :cry:

I asked him if he has ever actually seen Bomber licking the cat (which I must say I wouldnt put past him) and he said no - but it is just "obvious" that this is what it is. Thank God hubby is NOT a vet. :):)

I'll let you know if I find out for sure what it is!

Jen

Ha Ha

Bomber is much the same. We didnt give him any soft toys when he was younger, now basically, nothing is worth having if it cant be eaten!!

Unfortunately for our other dog Kirra, she likes stuffed toys - so Bomber takes them and then suffers the consequences when Kirra finds out!!! :cry:

Jen