Osteosarcoma And Stewie

Trace

You may like to try this, I do not know how it would work for your boy but the topical cream does work for any skin type cancer and if you are looking at death anyway it may well be worth a try, I only know of one place to get it in QLD but there mat be others pm me if you wish and I will get the address of the QLD suplier http://www.altcancer.com/can9.htm

Cheers Maria

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone for the support, well wishes and suggestions - I'm sure you all know how important it is, but you deserve be told anyway. A big thankyou :) to you all.

Well, Stewie's pretty good at the moment - we've dropped him from the recommended 200gm per day of Rimadyl to only 50mg per day. This seems to be completely removing his pain at the moment (pretty low dosage for a 53kg dog).

In the meantime, we have pulled our fingers out and switched him over to BARF feeding (the girls are half and half, and will go completely BARF next week when I get more supplies!) - which he's absolutely LOVING! :laugh: Chicken necks for breakfast? Oh - If I must!

We also have some Osteosarcoma / Bone Cancer Support herbal treatment on the way from Robert McDowell (http://www.herbal-treatments.com/dog_osteosarcoma_bone_cancer.html if anyone's interested). Hopefully it will assist us to manage his pain without having to rely on Rimadyl.

So, it's enjoy him and spoil him rotten for now, and count each day as a blessing.

Will keep you all informed of how we get on.

Cheers,

Trace

Thought I would update you all on how the boy is going.

Unbelievably he is off Rimadyl completely for now! He was a little tender last night, and I thought we would have to give him some Rimadyl this morning because surely he would be limping, but nope - he's happy and active this morning.

His last Rimadyl was on the morning of the 5th - so I'm really pleased with that.

Going strong on BARF - although hates his vege gloop :eek: He's really enjoying his bones though (they all are), and I'm actually really surprised just how much bone they get through. I had a look at the beef bones and thought there was no way they would eat the bone as well as the meat - but without fail they all ate every last bit.

He also started on herbal supplements two days ago. Osteosarcoma/Bone Cancer Support and Maritime Pine Extract at a double dose initially to help kick start the immune system. He hates it, and it smells vile - we are currently injecting the stuff into his chicken necks to get him to take it.

Incredibly, the lump has not grown at all over the past week - so I'm tickled pink with how he's going for now - couldn't ask for better I don't think.

Stewie sends you all a sloppy kiss!

Trace

A week on and I thought I'd post a quick little update :)

I'm very pleased to say that Stewie is still going well and seems pretty stable. He's still not needing Rimadyl - any pain seems to be managed by his herbal meds.

There has been no noticable increase in the growth at all, and certainly his quality of life seems to be improving rather than decaying at the moment. I think BARF is doing him the world of good, and his herbal meds are meant to contain lots of anti-oxidants as well which I'm sure are making him feel pretty good.

The only thing I've found is that we need to be very conscious that he keeps relatively quiet. There have been two occasions of limping in the past week and both seemed to be directly connected to him being too boisterous (jumping down the stairs, galloping along the verandah, etc).

So lots of sloppy Stewie kisses to everyone - and please give all of your furbabies a big hug from us too.

Cheers,

Trace

Guest cloverfdch

Thankyoy so much for the update, i am glad to hear sweet Stewie is doing well :rolleyes:.

:cool: For everyone.

We also have some Osteosarcoma / Bone Cancer Support herbal treatment on the way from Robert McDowell (http://www.herbal-treatments.com/dog_osteosarcoma_bone_cancer.html if anyone's interested). Hopefully it will assist us to manage his pain without having to rely on Rimadyl.

Trace,

I was going to suggest you contact Robert McDowell. I have had fantastic success with his products although have not had to use them for anything as severe as you and Stewie are. Best wishes to you both

We use Robert McDowell's stuff for our horses, and absolutely swear by it. Even our vet is amazed at the improvement in conditions he said couldn't even be helped with surgery. We currently have our stallion on a herbal blend for splints, and a weanling on it for damaged cartilage, and both are responding well - so the bone support stuff does work.

Also try cold-pressed flaxseed oil mixed with cottage cheese every day - 4 or 5 tsp mixed with a cup of cheese. The synergistic effect of the 2 together is wonderful for treating cancer, and provides heaps more anti-oxidants as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I was just wondering how Stewie was going?

I found it comforting to read these posts as my beautiful precious girl was diagnosed yesterday with the same thing. At least there are others out there who know what we are going through. She is an almost 10 year old Rotty.

She started limping in her left front leg a month ago. I also thought that it was arthritis. We had x-rays and they were all clear so i breathed a sigh of relief. Then suddenly yesterday i noticed this big lump had suddenly developed on her shoulder. X-rays confirmed the worst. This terrible cancer comes on so fast.

I have chosen not to find out what the exact cancer is and i will not put her through amputation. It wouldnt be fair.

It was great reading about others experiences and i called Robert McDowell today. I have the herbal supplements on the way. I am also feeding completely barf as well. Is there anything else i can do for her? The supplements wont be here till monday which feels like eternity, so till then i am giving vitamin E, C and the omegas.

I really want to do all i can. I am quietly confident she will miraculously beat this as she is too loved to go anywhere and is still very happy so far.

Any more ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps.

Oh Trace, have just found this thread. I am so sorry about Stewie ;) He is one of those dogs you just want to reach through the screen and give him a cuddle and scratch behind the ears. Pleased that the health management is working and you are managing to keep the osteosarcoma at bay. :thumbsup:

Deepest sympathies to you and stewie unfortunatly i know exactly what you are going through. I lost my beloved Rottie in Febuary to a cancerous nasal tumor.

It is a absolute horrid disease and no dog deserves to go that way.

Think positive have lots of pats and cuddles and enjoy your time with him.

Oh goodness jesomil - I'm so sorry :thumbsup:

Listen, I'm going to PM you my email address - email me if you need to talk or compare notes, ok?

As for Mr Boofie Stewie Man - 6 weeks on...

The tumor HAS grown, I think it would have been miraculous if it hadn't though. However - he still requires no conventional pain relief (he's had maybe 3 Rimadyl tablets in the past 5 weeks - just when he's been a silly boy and overdone it).

Appetite - normal

Weight - normal

Quality of life - absolutely normal ;)

Honestly - you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with him at all.

jesomil - we've found the Osteo/Bone Cancer Support and Maritime Pine Extract to be brilliant. Difficult to administer, because they STINK. We actually inject his dosage into chicken necks to get him to eat it.

What we DID find is that when we dropped back the dosage after two weeks (because you start on a double dosage to boost the immune system) is that he started limping again. So I got in touch with "Uncle Robert" and asked if it was OK to keep Stewie on the double dosage, and Robert said it certainly wouldn't do any harm.

We now have Stewie on the double dosage of the Osteo/BC support (20 drops, twice a day) and normal dosage of the Maritime Pine Extract (10 drops, twice a day) which seems to be managing everything nicely.

I'm sure his health is also improved by being on BARF - he wasn't on the BARF diet before being diagnosed.

Two days ago Stewie turned 7 (there's some photos in the photos section somewhere to celebrate his birthday - if you have a look, you will see that he still looks really great)!! I honestly didn't think he would reach this birthday, so I'm thrilled with how he's going.

Many, many hugs to you jesomil - cause I know exactly how devastated you feel right now.

Big Stewie licks to you all, too!

Cheers,

Trace

Guest cloverfdch

Thanks so much for the update Trace, yourself, family and dear Stewie continue to me in my thoughts :thumbsup:.

jesomil, i am so sorry, good vibes on the way for you and your precious girl ;).

Guest ashkevron

Hi Trace,

I am so sorry to read about Stewie, sounds like the Barf diet and herbs are doing their job. I will keep my fingers crossed and everything else for that matter for Stewie.

Sue

• 4 months later...

Wow - I can't believe it's been so long since I did an update on the boofy one :p

Well - against my wildest hopes when we discovered his tumor, Stewie will be here with us for Christmas :(

Stewie now has an ugly egg sized lump on his leg, but still he shows no other signs of deterioration! In fact in the last couple of weeks he's decided it's time to go through his second puppyhood :(

He's been stealing toys from the girls and playing with them, and generally being more of a clown then he's been in a long time - I thought all that playing stuff was "beneath him", but apparently he's decided to live life to the fullest. I think we have so much to learn from dogs!

He's still only on the drops with the ocassional Rimadyl, and his limp has actually reduced over the past month or so, which I'm very greatful for.

So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone from us, and most importantly, from Mr Stewie. :p

Here's a couple of photos taken today :p You can actually see the swelling just above the wrist in his far leg (right leg) on the first one.

Cheers,

Trace

post-22-1135221373.jpg

Guest cloverfdch
:( That is wonderful Trace, i was wondering how Stewie has been doing. Gorgeous photos. Have a lovely Christmas and new year... & Stewie keep on playing big boy.