Osteosarcoma And Stewie

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as they say, it seems that the time has come. :rofl:

Stewie has managed 10 months from diagnosis. Apart from one incident when I tried to change his medication, making him ill in the process, Stewie has had a happy, normal life with nothing more than a mild on again/off again limp.

Over the past month the flesh on his head has started to disappear, that's the first sign that the end was near. Still, he was happy, so we changed his nickname to "pointy head", and tried not to be too downhearted.

Unfortunately over the past 3 or 4 days, Stewie has started to become fussy with food. Yesterday and today he has eaten almost nothing. Unless something miraculous happens (and I know in my heart it won't), then it looks like tomorrow will be the day to give my boofy his wings.

I've spent most of today just cuddling with him. The pain is now obvious, even though the limp still isn't that bad, and he looks like he wants to go. Only a few days ago, Saturday, he was still being a pig while "taste testing" the chicken necks as I bagged them :rolleyes: :rofl::rofl:

I feel we have been blessed for Stewie to be so well, and so happy for so long. The end is coming so suddenly, but I know that is good too, as it means he hasn't had a dragged out illness.

It's going to be incredibly strange when he's gone - we will only have the girls, so OH is going to feel very outnumbered!

I think the worst thing is that I don't know how OH will handle it, and honestly that scares me more than anything else.

Tonight we will just cuddle our boy, and tomorrow will bring what tomorrow brings.

post-3516-1147162702_thumb.jpg

I have only just seen this thread as I am fairly new here and I am so sorry to hear of your news, I lost my beautiful boy (the one in my avatar) to this horrible disease a year ago, my thoughts are with you and know that you were all blessed to have this magnificent boy in your life. Thinking of you.

Allerzeit. I wish for you and Stewie a miracle. In its absence, know that you give Stewie a precious gift. The giving is harder for you than the receiving by Stewie. Very sorry for what you now face. I send wishes for your strength and courage.

Allerzeit,

I am so sorry that you and Stewie may be coming to the bend in the road..where he will journey on to the fine place where all good dogs enjoy perfect doggy peace and happiness.

You have given him so much love and care! In some way those of us who get a warning of what is to come are lucky, we can do and say the things we want to do and say before it is too late. I know that with my guys who have crossed to The Bridge the two that hurt the most were those that were not in my arms for our final parting.

I will light a special candle now for Stewie..praying for a miracle but if that is not to come for a gentle crossing.

Hugs to you at this difficult time.

Thanks so much for the thoughts guys - I was surprised at just how much strength it provided this morning.

I won't say anything more here, I will post a tribute in the Rainbow Bridge shortly.

Hugs to all of you and your furkids,

Trace

post-3516-1147224431_thumb.jpg

RIP - Allerhochst JEB Stuart

16 August 1998 - 10 May 2006