Grooming And Farting

As shameful as this is, I have to share...

:) Henry has a problem. Whenever I groom him, whether it be brushing him, stripping his coat, trimming his feet or cleaning under his eyes ...

HE FARTS UP A STORM.

It has become quite an issue.

In fact last night, all I did was get the grooming block out and hold it near him and POOF! The farting began.

For such a little dog it is quite stinky. I don't remember him doing it when we went to visit Auntie Warley for grooming, but he certainly does it when I groom him, without fail.

Does anyone else have a dog that does this? Do you think it is a silent but deadly protest on his part?

post-22-1121995453.jpg

:) I'd suggest he's either REALLY relaxed ..... or just a bit nervous about being groomed. My girl farts (oops .... she's a lady - should say "lets wind") when I'm filing her nails - she hates it! I guess if it is your pooch's way of expressing objection, it's better than using his teeth!

Muah ha ha, I just laughed until I snorted.

Hmm... if he battles you from both ends, I'm voting for it to be a nervous thing... strange. My Collie HATES having her bum brushed but at least she doesn't toot at me :)

She hates having her nails done, and literally squirms until she can get away tho :wave: I'd rather she farted:(

Activated charcoal tablets (available from chemist) helps take the stinky away. We have a rottie who lets it rip (they bring tears to the eyes) when he was over indulged in fresh bones. Now all we get is a little puff of wind without the smell.

Edited by Tilly

I'd agree it is an anxiety issue - something about grooming makes him nervous/upset etc. Do you groom him on the table? if so start desensitizing him to it - put treats there for him to get to....maybe even let him eat his dinner up there (supervised of course)...make it less like a chore to be feared than a game....

Mine get bored after a while on the table so down they come for a romp and a game to break it up....

And yet "passing wind" a lot can be one of the tell-tale signs that the dog's back is out... :wave:

Maybe the position you're putting him in (or he puts himself in, if he's really enjoying the grooming) is creating the little gas clouds?

Just something else to think about - on top of everyone else's very correct assumptions :)

Hmm well I'm not sure about my little stinker because he does when I brush him and he likes that but he also does it when I strip him and he hates that...

It can't be position because I brush him on my lap in front of the tele, but I strip him on the table.

Maybe he is just a 'groom-farter'?

:) You want to watch he doesn't blow up from the friction when you brush him!!! :wave:

Static can do that, cant it? Ignite the gas, that is????

Greentea - yesterday it was wizzing, today it's farting. What on earth will tomorrow bring? ;)

Raz sounds like you will have to use a crap cap,then discharge the static before removing the cap LOL then proceed with grooming. Sorry yes static can cause explosion of flamables. Can you imagine the obituary groomer killed by static blast !!! Heaven forbid :)

For such a little dog it is quite stinky. I don't remember him doing it when we went to visit Auntie Warley for grooming, but he certainly does it when I groom him, without fail.

looks like he will try just about anything to avoid grooming and have his own way :cry:

Henry has it all worked out ;)

NEW PIC, NEW PIC

:protest: :protest: :protest: