How Much Does It Cost

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We usualy have 2 dogs in the house and it costs approx $30 to feed per week which includes raw meet & veg in the evenings and Leila gets breakfast which she gets Natures Gift and a little bit of kibble. And bones/chicken necks etc which they get when we leave to go out.

They also get Missing Link - I got a big bag for $100 and it lasts forever.

Edited by sas

On this new BigDog diet...it looks as if i may well be feeding both my dogs pre-made BARF at around $15.00 to $20.00 (at most) a fortnight!

I switched to the pre-made Dr B patties about 3-4 weeks ago now (was making my own). Sooo much easier as far as prep time, freezer space and cost. $10.90 for 12 patties from one place another place charges $14.90 :) This last me roughly two weeks or sometimes just over as he gets a fish day, fast day etc.

1 pattie for 1, 10kg dog is the recomended amount - Harves is about 8-9kg so i just give him a whole one.

BigDog sell 2kg bags of premade BARF mulch for between $1.00-$2.40 a kg depending on what type you get....really good value and i know my dogs luuuurve it.

BigDog info thread :) And yes it's for Greyhounds for the most part but 'breeders choice' would suit most dogs for starters, with 'weaner' suiting the more high energy dogs...i'm looking to feed my pair both 'the edge' and 'breeders choice' (both as in which ever one i pull out of the freezer at the time..lol)

Edited by KitKat

Well I guess I'm going to have to find myself a nice chinese butcher :):)

The ones I go to dont display lamb necks or offcuts. You have to ask for it. I ask for specific stuff, otherwise they usually dont understand and try to point stuff on display.

Ask for box of chicken bones each single one sells them cheaper than by kg qty.

Good luck, its fun trying to comunicate and explain what you want :D but worth it.

I have 5 greyhounds they cost about $35 - $40 per week depending what i am feeding they usually get beef or roo meat vegies and dryfood.

My cat cost about $5 per week

and we wont talk about the horse i don't want to know

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back up :) but how in the heck do you guys feed for so little. My 2 costs me at least $50 per week on dry food and bones etc..

Plus my ragdoll $1.15 x 3 sachets per day- approx $25

How in the world do you feed 2 malamutes @ $5 per week :laugh::(

ve got working and pet Maremma, Pembroke Corgis, Beagles and Ragdoll cats .

On average they cost me a dollar each per day to feed which includes any puppies or kittens that are here.

I feed no commercial food at all .Only Barf .

It costs us $50 a week two feed to Great Danes Breakfast/Dinner, we get BARF patties directly from the NSW BARF Association then about $5 for bones.

We could feed them a lot cheaper if we did the BARF ourselves, however I know I'd stuff up the ratios, it used to cost about $30 if I brought the meat from Pet Barn and then adding the vegies and bones, but I'm not adding Missing Link anymore so that's saving money there.

My OH costs about $90 a week to feed, so really the dogs cost us nothing to feed :laugh:

Edited by sas

For a 6kg dog:

Eukanuba $17 every 8 weeks - $2.20 / week

Chews $7 for a box, lasts about 2-3 weeks- $2.50 / week.

I buy chicken necks when they have them at Woolies - $1 / week

= $5.70/week

He always ends up with a bit of our food, if he gets too much he just doesn't get as much next time.

I have a whippet pup who is costing pretty much nothing to feed at the moment - she is on a barf mix that i make up - it cost me about $8 to make 22 lots. She gets one lot of that a day, plus a chicken wing or carcass, plus a meaty beef bone. The carcass cost about $2 for 5, the wings are about $1.20kg. The meaty bones are $1 for about 12. She also gets supercoat - $8 a bag, but only has about half a cup a day. We bought royal canin but she won't eat it, i think they are too big for her liking so we will try her on it when she is older. And puppy milk as a treat.

Plus occasionally she gets a weetbix with puppy milk or some vegemite on toast - about once a week max.

So all up? About $1.50 a day

My two cost about $35 to feed each week. I have no idea how to cut these costs down, but buying chicken necks/frames from leonards is a great idea, I usually get mine from the supermarket, and I've always thought they charge way to much for something that they'd other wise just throw out!

Anyway, I've got a dalXgsp and a dobeXrotti and they're both pretty active, they run around all day, and jack goes for 4-5 1/2 hour walks a day (probably not enough I know), rex is still learning about walks, so he doesn't go out at all yet.

They get a couple of handfuls of supercoat each in the morning and another couple with their main meal at night = $7.50/wk

Plus at night (for both)

5kg roo & chicken/roo & beef/chicken & lamb mince / week = $14

2kg chicken necks/thighs = $2.50 or $4.50

1 kg brisket bones - $2.50

Plus a go to the cheapo vegie store and cook up a big batch of vegies which they get 4-5 times per week.

I don't know if I'm feeding too much or too little, but they both seem pretty healthy. Rex has been getting a little extra because a) he's bigger, and b) he's was little bit skinny IMO when we got him, but he's starting to look a bit better now.

Some people have said that they feed their dog '1 BARF pattie + kibble' (for example) per day, but how much is this in weight?

:laugh: We have a 2 year old beagle and it would roughly cost us about $10-$14 a week to feed him

We use either Royal Canin or Eukanaba (200gms per day) and as this is a complete food, his only other requirements are a couple of raw bones and some liver treats for the week.

15 kg bag RC or Eukanaba is approx $90 depending where you buy it ........alot of money to outlay but when it only averages out to about $ 1.50 per day with bones and treats it isnt that expensive and this way gives me more time to spend with Toby without having to prepare food

Im still trying to figure out the difference between brands etc.......

For my two (4kg and 4.5kg) dogs

* Eagle pack dry food - $5 per week

*Eagle pack canned - $3.50 per week

*Lamb shanks - $5 per week

Or if instead of lamb shanks, chicken wings so about $2

*Canned sardines - $2.50

So i guess around $13-$16 per week for two small dogs.