Rimadyl - Long Term

My 11 year old girl Jessie responds very well to Rimadyl for her arthritis- she has been on it twice for short perieods, and I am thinking of asking the vet for some more. I have her on a diet and she enjoys her daily walk, but she is so much happier on the Rimadyl. Would a long-term course be dangerous?

From my experience I would not use Rimadyl even short term. Lost my Ben a while ago in a short space of time after being put on Rimadyl from a condition which, IMO, was either caused or triggered by this drug.

I contacted Phizer (Sp?) and while they didn't directly admit it could have caused this, they didn't deny it. My Vet. doesn't use Rimadyl since this, now uses Metacam.

Then again a friend has had her dog on it for quite some time, without any problems but she does get checks done regularly for any sign of liver problems (I think it's liver they test for).

There is a new arthritis drug, its only recently released. You should ask your vet about it, it is supposed to much better than Rimadyl. I know two friends thats old dogs trialled it and they could not beleive the difference in the dogs.

I will get back to you with the name.

Good question, we have our oldie on Rimadyl everyday, 1 100mg tablet she is about to start her 4th course so she has been on it for 3 months now. We were told to watch out for loose bowel motions but haven't had any trouble so far. She was on it last winter but got very sick, I am now wondering if it was something else that made her sick at the time. If she reacts to the Rimadyl this time we are left with few options as the pain is too bad without it. She was on Presdynil (sp?) for a while but it didn't seem to do the job that Rimadyl does.

Ollie is prone to oxalate stones and he takes one 50mg tablet morning and night, only when he is in pain... From what I read here is it a medication for arthritis or is it a pain management drug (I thought it was the latter)...

TIA

Jodie

I thought there was a thread here on DOL which made reference to Rimadyl and pointed to a link where action has been taken against Phizer (I'm not sure of spelling either) as a result of negative reactions caused by the administration of Rimadyl. Try doing a search here on DOL, or a google search.

thanks for all the replies guys. Very interesting. Jessie is on just 25mg, once per day. She is about the size of a really fat Corgi, and weighs 13kg (yes, I know, I know!!)

How big is your dog Casper? Maybe the dose of 100mg was too high for her.

Jessie has not had any bad reactions to Rimadyl in the two times she has had it before, and I can really see the difference in her when she taking it. I have just picked up another bottle from the vet, but will definitely investigate the Previcox and Metacam.

Thanks again. :scared:

If Rimadyl is working for you, I see no problem putting an older patient on it long term. I would suggest a blood test prior to starting it long term, and probably every 6 months that she is on it (the pre-anaesthetic panel will do - it is important to monitor liver and kidney enzyme levels.)

There is a lot of hype regarding Rimadyl (in particular) but I think it is important to remember that the problem associated with it in particular are common across all NSAIDs (even in humans). There is lots of good stuff being said about Previcox, but there is no such thing as a perfect drug. The NSAIDs are very good at what they do, its just unfortunate that they have the potential to cause trouble. Some animals will never have trouble, some will be exquisitely sensitive and show GIT signs after one dose.....

The class action against Pfizer is getting to be really old - it was prescribed as a wonder drug when it was released and given to a lot of patients that it probably shouldn't have been, without any information being given to the owner. Cause for class action - yes. Cause to completely discount NSAIDs for the management of chronic pain - no.

Responses to different NSAIDs between animals can also vary - you may get excellent results from Rimadyl while Metacam will barely touch the pain. You need to consider what suits you and what you are comfortable with. Remember also that the decision includes quality of life for pets in their golden years.

Harley, my 15 yr old Irish Wolfhound X has been on Rimadyl for nearly a year now (200mg a day as she is a 50 kg girl). Only a couple of months ago we switched to Carprofen due to cost.

I was made aware of the risks through a friend after we had started her on Rimadyl, but in Harleys case it seems to be doing more good than harm. After all, if we were planning on ending her life, let me tell you that there are cheaper ways of doing it!!!

Though I do belive that, just like people, some dogs respond the some medication better than others...........

IMHO it is improving the quality of Harleys life, so we will continue with it till the green pastures call her home.

My vet wanted me to switch from Metacam to Previcox (sp?) because it is supposed to be a better drug but at over $190 for 60 days worth it was just way too expensive. The Metacam is expensive enough!!

If only I could win Tattslotto.... :cry:

I would not use Rimadyl on a young dog for any length of time (if at all) but have used it on 2 oldies where quality of life was what we were worried about. It gave relief and made them comfortable when other safer drugs didn't. There is plenty of info on the net about Rimadyl and its side effects. Am now off to look up Previcox.

I would not use Rimadyl on a young dog for any length of time (if at all) but have used it on 2 oldies where quality of life was what we were worried about. It gave relief and made them comfortable when other safer drugs didn't. There is plenty of info on the net about Rimadyl and its side effects. Am now off to look up Previcox.

Yes thats where we are at too, without the Rimadyl Rosie wouldn't be still going. Hers is not for arthritis but a bone spur impinging (sp?) on a nerve.

YLD Rosie is a RRidgeback X Dane?, but yes she is a long leggy girl. We tried smaller doses first but they didn't control the pain. With 100mg she is a bit stiff at first thing in the morning but is fine for the rest of the day.