Puppy Not Eating

Good on Ellz for taking you and Daegon to the vet :D

the all clear sounds promising.. hope he gets to eating more for you..

he may get an appetite after the worming ..

also might be an idea to get some Nurtigel and have it on standby.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a golden pup that has always been a terrible eater. She wont eat the same things two days running. So we bake her chicken drumsticks and thighs in the oven when cooled we chop up the meat and the skin and feed it to her warm, it is left in the plate so that she has access to it all the time. We also cook mince in a saucepan, just cover with water and add a half teaspoon of salt and simmer for 15 minutes. We serve her this luke warm in its own juice. She also will eat one egg yolk in a small amount of warm milk daily. She will not eat anything out of a can or human meals. She wont even eat her Chicken raw.

We took our pup to the vet when she was about 8 weeks old with the runs, and she has been like this ever since.

TE you'll want to be careful that she doesn't end up with a vitamin deficiency...or calcium deficiency....what she's eating isn't a complete diet for a growing puppy..

Edited by KitKat

But thats all she eats. The mince she eats is puppy mince and human mince. She sometimes has a sausage when we have them ourselves.

And she is growing really well. She has huge feet, hehe, and considering that she doesnt eat much she is quite a good weight. She weighed 7.15kg at 13 weeks old. She was weighed at the vets.

IMHO that pup has got you guys nicely trained already...

If you do a search on this forum you will find numerous threads on helthy pups not eating this or that...and training their people to give in to them..

As i said...do a search...you'll see a number of threads and advice on how to go about sorting the problem out...

Most of us have been through it at some stage, i know i did with my GSD pup.

We've only ever had one other pup that wouldn't eat, she was a border collie x kelpie she is now eating fine. Once she moved down south with my older sister she started on chum. She is now just over one.

I'll do a search right now then!

Tiger Eyes, if your pup is only eating cooked chicken and mince, that's an all meat diet.

It is deficient in calcium and, if not changed, will lead to significant growth problems with your pup.

All meat diets are/were the leading cause of rickets, a condition where pups legs were deformed due to lack of calcium.

I highly recommend you get this dog onto a supplement if you cannot change her diet.

Hunger is a wonderful appetite stimulant. You are currently training your dog to be a fussy eater. Put what you want her to eat down. Leave it for 15 minutes. Remove it. Offer it again next meal time. Do not hand feed her or stand over the bowl. Do not give in. :D

Edited by poodlefan

The idea is not to leave her with the one meal. Leave it with her for 15 mins then take it away and offer it again at the next meal time, if still no go take it away again adn offer it again later. Generally by the following morning they will tuck into it fairly well. But no snacks no nothing while yuor going through with it.

A decent quality kibble (even purina one, supercoat) would be better to feed then Chum, however if they want to stick to tinned food then Natures Gift isn't to bad...all human quality ingredients etc.

Chum is barely a filler...let alone anywhere near nutritional.

A premium kibble is a balanced diet...some dogs don't do so great on it however.

Raw chicken is in it's natural state with more vitamins, minerals and other stuff dogs need...including bones.

Cooked chicken looses a lot of what the dog needs in the cooking process and because it is cooked means the dog can not have the bones which they do need if yuo going with the 'natural' approach.

Tiger Eyes:

wots the difference between a raw chicken and a cooked one?

I know about he bones tho.

The difference is that with raw chicken, you feed it bones and all. Those bones contain the appropriate calcium/phosphorous ratio to support puppy growth.

Kibble is only a filler, not nutritional.

It is cheap stuff I agree. If its better quality it provides a balance of vitamins and minerals.

I don't feed kibble. However, if I didn't make the effort to provide an appropriate balanced raw diet to my dogs, its what I would feed because it takes the guess work out of giving a balanced diet.

Canned food stinks (makes me gag) and is about 80% water. Pretty expensive way to give your dog water IMHO.

Edited by poodlefan

Jazzy wont eat raw chicken.

Then as PoodleFan said...

Hunger is a wonderful appetite stimulant. You are currently training your dog to be a fussy eater. Put what you want her to eat down. Leave it for 15 minutes. Remove it. Offer it again next meal time. Do not hand feed her or stand over the bowl. Do not give in. 

Tiger:

Jazzy wont eat raw chicken.

Cheat. Run a neck under the hot water tap for a few seconds and put it in her bowl. Lots of dogs don't like their food cold from the fridge so when introducing a new food, I think it pays to serve it at room temperature or slightly warmer. It has a stronger smell.

If she misses a few meals, she will eat. Anorexia is very rare in dogs and just about unheard of in Golden Retrievers. :D

Edited by poodlefan