Puppy Not Eating

My 10 week old Rotty pup is not eating...I'm lucky if he'll eat once a day and even then its only a very small amount...he's only eaten one proper meal in 2 weeks.

I've already done a search through here and I've tried the things that have been mentioned before...I'm trying to feed him Eukanuba and I've tried adding mince, sardines or natural yoghurt to it to no avail. I've tried tough love, he gets his meal for 10-15 minutes and then I pick it back up and try again in another 3-4 hours.

But nothing is working. He has started losing weight and I don't want that, but I don't really want to start making him a fussy eating and letting him get away with things either because he's pushy now as it is.

This is becoming so very frustrating and I don't know what to do anymore. Can anyone help me? :mad

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pandii

Shek have you contacted his breeder

If you have I would be seeing the vet

As you know I have his sister here she is not a big guts of an eater but is eating enough that I am happy with her

Have you tried exactly what he was getting before he came to you.

something seems odd

Yep, I've done all that Pandii, I'm almost at my wits end with it to be honest, talk about worrying the crap out of me. Breeder says he's a stubborn s**t and not to worry too much, he is still well within himself you see. I swear he's just doing it to p**s me off :mad

Edited for swearing :(

Edited by shekhina

Yep, I might take him to the vet poodle fan...can't get there till friday because I don't have any transport but if he's not eating decent regular meals by then he'll be at the vet...should I be worried about taking him in there before his vaccinations are complete though?

I would be taken him to the vet!!!

I wouldn't worry about if he has had his vaccinations or not - if he really is sick - he needs to been seen to right away!

Even if it is simply to reassusre yourself he is being fussy! A trip to the vet to rule out anything more sinister.

Try some pork mince - that is what I used on a dog that I couldn't get to eat and she was terribly thin - she couldn't resist it.........

Edited by Ci

Guest Pandii

Sorry Shek I didnt mean to question you

I cant think of anything to temp him

Did he eat the sardines

what about chicken mince and yogurt?

Dont know a vet visit maybe

Oh Pandii...sorry if you thought I was agro at you! I'm certainly not :)

He's just eaten a little bit of kibble, natural yoghurt and sardines now, but hardly anything, as usual...I bet that's all he eats today too :(

He's got an appointment at the vet tomorrow for midday, so here's hoping they either tell me I'm a worry wart and he's a fuss pot or they'll work out whats wrong.

A BIG BIG BIG BIG THANK YOU to ellz who has very kindly offered to do the run around for me :mad

Guest Pandii

All is great news then Shek let us knwo how it all goes.

And give him a cuddle from me, his sister does not miss him at all

Hope it turns out to be nothing

OK, some good news...Daegon has eaten a little bit of kibble tonight, not much of course, but some is better than none right now. Hopefully the vet will give him the all clear tomorrow and maybe give me some hints on how to stimulate his appetite a bit more.

You haven't mentioned his worming status - have you wormed him lately. Worm activity can make them picky.

You also need to be careful about the psychological aspect of trying to get him to eat too. If you try to coax your puppy to eat by hand feeding etc, or giving in to his demands such as feeding foods you would not normally feed him - he has you psychologically.

You need to put the plate down with the food you require the pup to eat and if he does not eat it in 10 mins. remove the plate and do not offer him another thing until the next meal time. Put the plate down and give him 10 minutes again - if he does not eat it take it away. Continue this (even if he starves) until such time as he makes an attempt to eat it. Do not make any fuss over him when he does eat. I guarantee (providing the puppy does not have any other health issues) that he will be eating perfectly within 2 to 3 days. He will need to know that he is going to go hungry if he does not make an attempt to eat what you give him.

I have had a couple of pups over a number of years who responded well to this and the longest one went before becoming a good eater was 3 days.

Edited to add: The other thing you need to be careful of is not to give him too much food in each meal as too much per meal will dull his appetite for the next meal.

Edited by Scales of Justice

Thanks for the tips guys.

I decided against hand feeding for the very reason you're talking about, I'm not going to let him beat me...and I have tried taking his food away after 10 minutes for about 5 days in a row and all he did was pick at the tiniest amount and he dropped a good deal of weight for such a small pup so just to get the weight back on him I left the food there. I know thats not a good thing to teach him to eat but I am more worried about his health first.

He's off to the vet soon, so hopefully there's nothing going on with him physically and if I can get something like nutrigel so that at least he gets the calories and vitamins he needs then I will go straight back to letting him starve himself if thats what the silly bugger choses to do.

OK, Daegon is back from the vet and has gotten the all clear, he also had his 10 week worming done while he was there. So...its tough love until this little guy eats from now on, even if he does drop weight, so long as he's OK in himself he's gonna go hungry until he stops his protesting.

He has so far done really well today though, eaten twice, thats a record for him! Hopefully now he's gotten all the attention he wanted from the girls at the clinic he'll be right :D