Puppy Not Eating

OK, seems Daegon got the all clear at the vet it's time for some tough love...

Scales of Justice, if you're reading this...you guaranteed me that so long as he didn't have any other health issues he'd be a good eater in 3 days, I sure hope so! :thumbsup:

So far he didn't eat dinner last night, or breakfast this morning...he's eaten a very very small amount just now and he's looking rather skinny...makes me sad :laugh:

Griff - breeder says that most of them are being fussy, I would have thought he would be eating properly by now but he's not. Breeder also seems to think he is just being very stubborn, he is pushy with everything, will ignore you if he feels like it so I can't back down to him or he'll be walking all over me when he's older.

Kit Kat - Daegon has been eating on and off like this since I got him which was almost 3 weeks ago now. I'm worried about him not growing properly because of his antics, having so much growing to do in such little time and all :thumbsup:

My GSD pup tried this on me when he was a little tacker...'eat it or nothing' was used and he's not turned his nose up at anything since...and he's now 45kg's, days shy of 12 months old and still growing :thumbsup:

Well I'm going to keep at it, but boy he's lost some weight already, ribs this morning, waist too defined...I hope he starts eating soon. He's still drinking heaps and running around though so I must be tough on the lil bugger! :thumbsup:

When you say drinking heaps.....would you say it is MORE than usual??

Remember that the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. He goes back soon for his needles so they can re-weigh him and if he has lost ground, they'll have to investigate further.

As long as he's still himself and active and happy... you can only do what the vet said and harden your heart.

Ellz - he has always been a fairly big drinker, so I would say that it's no more than when I brought him home. Also the breeder wants the pups back at their place for their next needles, so seems he will be going there instead on the 20th. So I will mention it to the home visit vet and perhaps see if I can get him weighed and if things are going downhill he'll be back to the vet we saw last week.

KitKat - I've decided against the Nutrigel after some advice from others who feel he might get even more stubborn and decides he only wants to eat the sweet tasting yummy gooey stuff :thumbsup:

Also the breeder wants the pups back at their place for their next needles, so seems he will be going there instead on the 20th. So I will mention it to the home visit vet and perhaps see if I can get him weighed and if things are going downhill he'll be back to the vet we saw last week.

I'd suggest taking him to the other vet anyway if things haven't improved. Mostly for continuity of care and also because it is more useful for record keeping purposes if he is weighed on the same scales.

KitKat, under some circumstances the Nutrigel would be excellent, but on this occasion I have a feeling it would be like offering a human child the choice of cabbage or icecream.

:thumbsup:

Fair enough :thumbsup: I've never used the stuff...or seen it actually just heard great stories from others...i thought you'd only use a smidge of the stuff...i'm now guessing you use a fair amount more then that? lol

I'd suggest taking him to the other vet anyway if things haven't improved. Mostly for continuity of care and also because it is more useful for record keeping purposes if he is weighed on the same scales.

Will do, 4 cats have to have their booster shots in another week or so anyways :thumbsup:

thought you'd only use a smidge of the stuff...i'm now guessing you use a fair amount more then that? lol

yep, you'd need to use a bit.

It is very good for animals that require a high calorie boost, particularly if they're recovering from surgery or illness and if they need the calories whilst not expending too many other calories to eat but it IS very sweet and gluey and I'd imagine it would be akin to us eating that yummy Condensed Milk stuff from the tube or off the spoon straight out of the tin!!

ETA: FWIW, Daegon's vet agreed with my thoughts about this as well.

Edited by ellz

Guest Pandii

Hi Shek are others out of the litter having eating problems too?

Dante is going good in the eating department, a bit food aggressive but we are working on this alot.

But her appetite is good, great in fact she will eat anything I give her.

Keep us posted about Deagon

Yes Pandii, a few of the pups from the litter have turned into stubborn little buggers apparently and are refusing food. No food/toy/anything aggression here with Daegon, Kovu is the one snatching toys and blankets away, but no snapping or growling or anything.

I also used Nutrigel on my girl when she was pregnant and off her food. I found it fantastic, but she hated the taste of it so i had to place it on the roof of her mouth. Hope your puppy is doing ok now!

P.S. Did the vet give his mouth a good going over when he examined him?

Daegon seems to be eating better, yay! He ate 3 meals yesterday and has so far eaten everything I've given him today. I think he realised when he saw me go to take him bowl away that if he didn't eat it there and then he was going hungry again.

Lets hope it stays this way...he's done this before, eaten for a day or two then stopped again...not backing down to him though ;)