Irial Is Gone And I Miss Her

TigerJack

Irial - my tiniest little girl is gone – killed by one of my other little ones.

I am shattered, I feel like a part of me has been amputated. My beautiful little one has been mauled and she did not survive. I did not realise how much time she spent tucked underneath my shirt or perched in the crook of my elbow and now, even with all my remaining dogs sitting close, I feel like my arms are empty. It is only now that she is gone that I fully realise how important she had become to me. Of all my dogs, she was the one that needed me the most and I couldn’t stop her from dying.

A week ago on Wednesday night I returned home to find her lying on the cold bathroom floor. Irial was only 2kg so she would have become cold very quickly. Her wounds were not deep, but they were many and her tail had been broken badly and all her legs were bitten. Her belly was badly bruised. She had bled a bit but she was still alive when I found her. She was still gasping and trying to move but I couldn’t get her warm. I rushed her to the 24 hour emergency vet at Strathfield but she didn’t make it. Irial died and I miss her so much. It was a horrible way to go. I brought her home again and bathed her and dried her. I wrapped her up in a little blanket and I eventually went to sleep with her laid on the bed next to me. Polly would not come near her but the others all seemed to know she was gone and wanted to see her and smell her. The next day the pet cremation people came and took her away. Handing her over was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

One week earlier she had had a bit of a run in with the same little dog (my 4kg maltese x chi, Polly) but she had recovered fairly well. They had never had any sort of problems in the past and Irial never challenged Polly in the pecking order. I kept them apart for a while but I thought all was well again. I was sadly mistaken and now Irial has paid the price.

I have been lucky enough to have Irial in my life for a bit less than two years. She was a 1.6kg, one-eyed little scrap of terrified mini-foxie when I first met her. She was far tinier than any other mini-foxie I have ever seen and she was so fine boned that you could see the sun shine through her legs and ears. I fell for her when I saw her on Cordelia’s website and I didn’t know if I would be up to her special needs as she had apparently been on her own for some time and then found with her eye badly infected. This had to be removed but she recovered well. She initially wouldn’t make eye contact with me or my other dogs and she preferred to stay in her bed, hidden under a blanket. She would often disappear when things got too rowdy for her and I would eventually find her hidden away somewhere after having crawled inside the laundry hamper or into a pillowslip on the bed. She often hid inside clothes lying on the bed and I would find her wedged inside a sleeve or the leg of a pair of jeans as she was so tiny.

She was scared of attention from anyone but at the same time she wouldn’t sleep anywhere at night except in my bed, under the covers, tucked up as close as she could get. She would go through a whole little ritual of licking her paws for ages and then licking my elbow or my knee, whatever was next to her, and then she would turn a circle and settle in to sleep. She would sit for hours grooming herself, she was quite obsessive/compulsive about it. It’s a bit like people who chew their fingernails I suppose. Irial became a confident little attention seeker. It took almost a year but she eventually joined the others at the feed bowls and played with toys and even got the zoomies sometimes. Her constant efforts to get her tummy rubbed were just precious. As soon as I sat down anywhere, she would settle in next to me and seconds later would be under my arm and rolling over for a tickle.

Irial would only have been around 5 years old so she should have had many more years ahead of her. I can’t change what has happen but I would give anything to have her back. I now can’t work out what to do with Polly as I don’t trust her anymore. Maybe one day I can take on another tiny rescue. I think maybe one day I’ll be ready for another little mini-foxie but I won’t ever be able to replace Irial.

I have cried so much this last few days and tomorrow I will cry again. The cremation urn is being brought home to me and I will no doubt go to pieces again.

I am sorry for the long post but I wanted to say something for her.

Jo

post-19-1123598385.jpg

Guest cloverfdch

Jo i am so sorry for your loss :worship:. You gave Irial a great life the past 2 years and she will be forever grateful for that.

Irial run free little one :thumbsup:.

You will be in my thoughts.

:thumbsup: So sad for you Tiger, Irial looked like a little blossom.

Having big dogs, and rescues over the years, we are always careful, however, we've had some close calls, and often one's that I least expected. Please don't blame yourself, little Irial was here for a special part of her life with you.

cry as much as you need, most of us have lost our loved furbabies and know your grief.

hugs from fifi, Danny & hounds

How awful for you TJ!!! I am glad you had so many precious moments with your Irial. I have mini foxies and know how rewarding they can be. I hope another mini foxie crosses your path one day and brings you as much joy as Irial, although we know she will never be replaced.

Thoughts and Prayers,

Fiery Di

I am so saddened to hear this. A candle will burn for tiny sweet Irial tonight.

It is one of those unexpected occurrences that leap out at you from left field.

Remember that she will always live in her own special place tucked deep in your heart.

Blessings

Oh TJ, I'm sorry for your loss :laugh:

I know what it's like to have them come home to you from the crematorium. It gave me a lot of comfort to know she was home where she belonged and I hope you feel comfort the same way.

RIP little girl ;)

Oh sweetie, I can't stop crying :champagne:

I am sooo sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing her story with us and the pics as well.

You will obviously never replace her but I hope that one day you get another Minnie Foxie that will love you as much as she did.

Maria

thankyou all for your kind thoughts.

Midniara I hope I will one day get another mini foxie but it is too soon yet. Maybe I'll wait until there's another rescue mf, I don't think I want to get a pup.

I thought I was doing pretty well. Today I was at Penrith Panther's for the flyball at the pet expo. As I was crossing the carpark area, the Pet's at Peace van pulled out in front of me. The same guy was driving the van that came and brought her ashes back to me this week. I found myself on the verge of tears (again).

writing about her on this forum has certainly helped.

thankyou

Jo

• 2 years later...