Barf Diet Myth

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now what about a mixture of Supercoat and perhaps a mixture of cooked mince vegtables and say rice or pasta a better comprmise heh!

Miranda's right, Gossco. There is already a whole heap of carbs in most dog foods - why add more fresh ones? If you're going to add some fresh food to a kibble diet, IMO it's of more value to add quality protein sources: meat, bones, fish, dairy and egg. Hold the rice and pasta. :p

Mika and Gilbert (who is smaller than a standard crestie and only has five teeth) are fed Barf Patties (the BARF Brand ones), as well as Natures Balance Organic Dog food (Dry but mixed into their pattie), as well as chicken necks and occasionally wings.

The necks are given to Mika Frozen, gilbert has them fresh, but often just whoofs them down so I give him th ebigger ones to make him chew. He does not like the wings...

I freeze lumps of necks together (three or five in bunch) and mika chews them - and adores them - and it keeps her occupied for ages.. :D

Gilbert eats more than what Mika Does... :D

Goosco57,

Interesting read,but did you know the majority of Vets get their nutritional knowledge from commercial dog food reps.

I feed my dogs BARF and have done so for years and I have read quite a bit from experts on nutrition,in particular BARF ,such as Drs. Peter Lonsdale and Ian Billinghurst.

I also read an article some years ago that stated.....that since commercial foods have been in existance , canine cancers have increased .

I have only recently discovered the BARF diet, although wish I'd found it years ago.

Things I've discovered between feeding a "commercial" diet and BARF - my old dog has been on pancreatic enzymes since age 2 (now 15) as he was unable to digest anything (radical weight drop etc). Since finding out about BARF with my new pup, I have put the old dog on BARF. His arthritis seems markedly improved (he is now off Rimadyl), raw meat from bones is being digested (without medication) and as soon as I feed him commercial dry food his stomach plays up again (smelly/sloppy back end). Is the improvement from the BARF diet?? I can only assume so - it's working for me and my dogs.

I think thats the kinda proof you need .... if a dog improves (especailly a older dog) thats gotta be proof

My staffy is a Barf dog and has been since he was a pup :thumbsup:

Chicken wings, chicken necks, lamb breast, lamb mince, sardines or mackeral in oil, all great for skin and coat.

Raw eggs, goats milk & yoghurt for brekky is a favourite here.

There are no real shortcuts but good wholesome food will soon have her sparking again.

Aloveen shampoo & conditioner will help her as well.

The conditioner is lovely on their skin too.

hmmmmmmm well this post has definantley blown out the theory that 'Top breeders recomend Pal'!!! :(

i best go do some reassing of my dog's diets now :thumbsup:

i usually have done a bit of everything, very small amounts of tinned food, dry food, bones, left over meat from work, raw and cooked....those dogs meat rolls....

so they have always got a wide variety.. :p

Pal is good for slimming down a dog...in fact i always have a can handy incase my dogs are feeling a little 'jammed up'. They get their hit of junk food and a clean out at the same time..lol.

But Pedigree does do a number of food types including Pal, Optimum, Advance, and there's another 'Optimum' type one that i can remember off hand. A food for all budgets kinda thing.

My older dog was brought up on Pal kibble and chum kibble...and he always looked fantastic, to a point where vets etc would ask which premium brand i was feeding him when i went in for his vacc's. But i'm not saying all dogs would do well on it..i wouldn't put my GSD on it for example...but i also know a lot more now which is probably another reason why i wouldn't use their basic products. But their Advance is great and i have head good things about the Optimum as well.

I have been using Optimum for about 6mths now (the dogs love it) & I am happy with the results it might cost more but you use far less.

I have always fed chicken necks, wings, frames, mince, lamb brisket, yoghurt, eggs and oils. Then there is the diet that the dogs get for themselves which includes- lemons, oranges, grass, lilly pillies & just about any tree that is fruiting in our paddock and then the old bones that have been stored for a rainy day.

My Cockers are all healthy with lovely coats & I never have a problem with teeth or weight and only visit the vet for their annual check-up and vaccinations.

The only time many many years ago that I fed a dog on tinned food he ended up with a terrible case of the runs.

I will be more than happy to stick to a well balanced diet, without too many additives for both my human family and my doggie family.

The only time many many years ago that I fed a dog on tinned food he ended up with a terrible case of the runs.

Going back to the discussion on Nature's Gift canned food, after having Jyra on raw food for 4 or 5 months, I gave Jyra a tin of Nature's Gift to see how she would go with it, and it we could use it for the two weeks we would be away from home. Well, it came out the other end real runny, so I decided against that and travelled with raw and got a friend to buy some raw food from the butcher in the town where I was going.