Dogs & Chocolate

Hi :(

I was just curious as to why chocolates is bad for dogs. Don't get me wrong, I don't give it to either of my dogs! I have heard several different reasons- it upsets the chemical balance in their brains, it can kill them....

I would really like to know why exactly it isn't good for them. It's been bugging me for a while!!

Does anyone know :thumbsup:

Theres a chemical in chocalate called theobromine??i think its called thats like a poison to dogs when ingested,i think it varies on the amount because i know of dogs that have eaten a heap of chocky without any effects whatsoever, but ive also heard of dogs being poisoned by eating only a small amount :thumbsup: .but anyway ime sure someone else knows more about it than i do.

cheers:)

ETA: after a quick google i read theres different levels of theobromine in different types of chocalate, and it supposedly effects dogs the same way as caffine effects people, so to much can cause gastric probs ect and in the extreme case cardiac arithmyia(sp)

Edited by Sirmonsta

Dark chocolate is a no-no since it's packed full of theobromine, and milk chocolate isn't very good for them either.

White chocolate should be fine in small pieces (I seem to recall that dogs have to eat several times their own body weight in white chocolate for it to have averse effect, so my dog still chows down on milky bar with me!) :thumbsup:

The chemical IS Theobromine. The rule of thumb is that the darker the chocolate, the higher the levels of the chemical.

That being said, as with some people, some dogs can have high sensitivities to it, so what doesn't affect one dog can quite rapdily kill another.

White chocolate isn't in fact chocolate (it is cocoa butter and emulsifiers) which is why some dogs are ok on it. It is however loaded in fats and sugars which is why caution is advised.

I read recently in "Dogs for Dummies" book I think it was, that a dog the size of my boy 30kg GSD, would need to eat atleast 1kg of chocolate to cause any ill effect (obviously if he was allergic that would be different) - is this true?

I don't EVER feed chocolate as I was always told it was toxic but have seen chocolate dog biscuites etc (again never tried them), whats the difference with them to normal chocolate we eat?

Chocolate dog biscuits - just check the ingrediants for cocoa, I know the home brand ones are real chocolate so I wouldn't feed them. But you can get a carob alternative in some dog sections of supermarkets and I think those are fine.

Chocolate is the only food I can eat with D around and not have him sitting in front of me drooling he knows that smell means he's not getting any. :thumbsup:

Edited by Vehs

Yes, it can vary depending on the dog. I know a Dalmatian that stole two chocolate biscuits and was incredibly sick. they almost lost her (luckily she recovered, but it was touch and go for a while!). I know other dogs that have stolen whole blocks and been fine. Personally I dont consider the risk of finding out if one of my dogs is one of the sensitive ones small enough a risk to give it to them. Besides, I like it too much to share :thumbsup: .

Edited by espinay2

It's amazing how it affects them all differently. I really didn't know about the darker the chocolate the worse it is. I'm so glad I asked about this now. White chocolate is my favourite though so I don't like my boys' chances of getting any of that!!!! :thumbsup:

Hello :laugh:

I just found this information about dogs and chocolate toxicity and thought you might find it interesting.

Chocolate Toxicity:

Levels of theobromine in Chocolate.

Concentration of theobromine varies with the formulation of the chocolate.

Milk chocolate has 44mg/oz (154mg/100gm)

Semisweet chocolate has 150 mg/oz (528mg/100gm)

Baking chocolate 390mg/oz (1365 mg/100gm)

(The theobromine in candies consisting of chocolate that is coated over some other substance - as in filled candies and chocolate coated dried fruits, etc will be more dilute than that in pure chocolate bars and solid chocolate candies.)

Toxic Amounts of Chocolate:

Dog's Weight - 2.2 kg.

Amount of Milk Choc - 113.4 g.

Amount of Unsweet Choc. - 14.1 g.

Approx. Mg. Theobromine - 200

Dog's Weight - 4.5 kg.

Amount of Milk Choc - 226.8 g.

Amount of Unsweet Choc. - 28.3 g.

Approx. Mg. Theobromine - 400

Dog's Weight - 9.0 kg.

Amount of Milk Choc - 453.6 g.

Amount of Unsweet Choc. - 70.8 g.

Approx. Mg. Theobromine - 900

Dog's Weight - 13.6 kg.

Amount of Milk Choc - 907.2 g.

Amount of Unsweet Choc. - 92.1 g.

Approx. Mg. Theobromine - 1300

Dog's Weight - 18.0 kg.

Amount of Milk Choc - 1.134 kg.

Amount of Unsweet Choc. - 127.5 g.

Approx. Mg. Theobromine - 1800

Dog's Weight - 22.6 kg.

Amount of Milk Choc - 1.360 kg.

Amount of Unsweet Choc. - 156.0 g.

Approx. Mg. Theobromine - 2250

Dog's Weight - 27.2 kg.

Amount of Milk Choc - 1.814 kg.

Amount of Unsweet Choc. - 198.4 g.

Approx. Mg. Theobromine - 2700

Dog's Weight - 31.7 kg.

Amount of Milk Choc - 2.268 kg.

Amount of Unsweet Choc. - 240.9 g.

Approx. Mg. Theobromine - 3400

P.S. I realise that these numbers are not "gospel" and that some dogs may be more sensitive to Theobromine than others. I just thought it was interesting as a general guide, showing the relationship between body weight and weight of chocolate consumed.

Edited by tweety79

The problem is that all dogs metabolise chemicals, drugs etc a little differently.

I have seen a very ill dog after eating a couple of easter eggs.

Critically ill in fact.

Dogs don't need to eat chocolate, give em a nice juicy bone instead.

As I said in my post as well, what doesn't affect one dog can rapidly kill another.

The books can quote figures but they cannot necessarily quote facts which are pertinent to each and every dog. Each dog is an individual and as Nadia said they metabolise things at a different rate. There is no such thing as "one size fits all" when it comes to dietary issues.

If you MUST give chocolate treats, give them the specially-made doggy ones...otherwise stick with a bone or something else your dog finds yummy!

Whilst I know its not chocolate ONION is a no no in my book too. Onion can cause enemia in your dog which could cause it to die. Not in all cases but I would prefer not to let my pets have any anyway just in case. I wouldn't like to be like the man that lost his dog after eating left over onion keesh. Yes I have met people whose dog s have had onion and suffered no ill effects. So what is ok for one might not be for another.

Cheers Chris

Onion and garlic can both cause problems.

Large doses can cause haemolytic anaemia, where the red blood cells burst while circulating in its body. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion can cause illness.

Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.

Just a bit of history that I thought I would share. When I was little our kelpie cross labrador (heinz vareity) ate all our easter eggs at night, we woke to find all the wrappers (there were six kids in our family) and nothing happened to him, live to the old age of 18. But as rule I don't feed my girl chocolate only if she gets the bits my 2 year old has dropped on the floor