What Feed....

Hi there, we have a 11 week old healthy energetic border collie puppy (Kayla) and have been feeding her Innova Puppy from Pets Paradise, now it seems like a great product but the cost of it seems a bit high !!! Also this is our first Border Collie so we are not up to speed on the breed.

I have been reading some of the old posts on this forum and it seems a lot of people feed there dogs/puppies EaglePack and Eukanuba. Haven't seen any mention of the supermarket varieties, just wondering if someone could let me know what is the difference between them all (Including the supermarket brand's, and why or why not to get them !!)

Thanks for your help.

Matt & Jo plus Kayla :rolleyes:

Most of the bigger petshops and some produce stores stock;

Premium brands - Royal Canin, Eukaneuba (sp), Iams, Hills Science Diet, ProPlan, Advance - Now these are all great foods...basically if you pick one of these you can't go wrong. The staff at the shop should be able to give you a run down of prices but all are great quality.

Eagle Pack can be bought in some stores but just don't expect to find it at your local shop...this may change in the future tho. Track down their website and it will have a list of stockists etc and if nothing else you should be able to get it ordered in by someone.

On the mid to lower end of the scale most produce stores and supermarkets stock - Optimum, Supercoat (both good foods) and lucky puppy, pal puppy (can be a bit like junk food but some dogs still do ok on it)

My main problem with innova is the fact you can only buy it thru Pets Paradise (and it's scarily expensive) and that doesn't sit well with me as i don't like their treatment of the pups and kittens that they continue to sell at a frightfully young age.

You get what you pay for. Supermarket brands do not seem to have the quality of the other brands metnioned above...

Go to your vet and ask their opinion on feeding your new pup...

You could try a PM to Molassesslass, she is a BC breeder and always a fountain of information...

Cheers

Jodie

Only be warned with a vets opinion....they are supplied with a couple of types of premium foods (Hills, Iams, Euk) and will advise that you buy those and from them...which is more expensieve for the same product from the petsops/produce stores.

well, many pet owners and breeders use SUPERCOAT i am one of them also.

Price does in many cases reflect the quality but not always!

I have indeed tried many higher priced brands but for my dogs they proved to be a waste of $$$$

I use SUPERCOAT and sometimes SCIENCE DIET ACTIVE both great foods.

Many dogs will have problems with their bowels if you change their diet frequently,

my pups are raised on supercoat puppy only.

All dogs need to thrive! so if you buy EUKANUBA and your pup enjoys it thats Great, if you buy pal puppy and your pup enjoys it thats Great too!

It really is about what your dogs will thrive on, no good buying something they will not touch!

:rolleyes:

post-22-1127014659.jpg

I'm with you there kitkat- will not buy from pets paradise. Will not even walk in there. Kayla05 maybe take a look at www.saynotoanimalsinpetshops.com then you can make an informed decision about whether or not you'd like to give your hard earned dollars to pet shops.

Kayla - we used to feed Supercoat because it's a bit easier on the pocket for my uni-going self.

But we have switched to science diet due to the fact that it was free! Bf's mother paid. Woohoo! I don't think we'll go back now :rolleyes:

Edited by rachiie

I fed Barf not dry food as a main diet but

I do have a bag of supercoat in the cupboard as emergencys

my puppy loves it but my older guy will walk away and wait until I fed them his barf even if he has to wait till the next day lol

I agree with rottywoman some dogs do really well on different brands of food

my mum feed 2 labs on pal dry and tinned for 9 years not a health problem at all

she has recently changed to Bones and raw food because she finds it cheaper and she is retired now ans has time to do it

Brought another 3kg bag of Innova and will buy another 3kg bag of one of the top 3 in the next week or so, so I can mix them together so she doesn't get a upset stomach. See how she goes on that.

Is it to early to give her bones, she is only 12 weeks old this week ?

Here are some photo's of Kayla :rolleyes:

IMGP1839.JPG

PICT0675.JPG

PICT0682.JPG

Edited by kayla05

Kayla I'm a raw feeder so I'd say its NEVER too early for bones. :laugh:

PP charge like wounded bulls - you are probably paying about 25-50% more for that food than an equivalent premium brand from a decent store or vet. :D

I won't buy anything from a place that sells puppies anyway. :rolleyes:

Edited by poodlefan

Kayla I'm a raw feeder so I'd say its NEVER too early for bones. :rofl:

PP charge like wounded bulls - you are probably paying about 25-50% more for that food than an equivalent premium brand from a decent store or vet. :rofl:

I won't buy anything from a place that sells puppies anyway. :)

Yep that's why I want to change to a different brand, unfortuantly PP was the only pet shop near by on the saturday when we brought her home :mad

Matt.