Anybody Use Innova Dog Food?

Isabel964

I bought some Innova Puppy food (dry) after getting a very good sales pitch from a nice guy. I have a 4 month old Westie. The ingredients seemd good - to my limited knowledge, but I would really like the opinion of others.

Here are the ingredients as they are listed on the packet:

Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Barley, Brown Rice, Cottage Cheese, Tomatoes, Hemp Oil, Chicken Fat (Preserved with mixed tocopherois), Flaxseed, Potatoes, Herring, Apples, Carrots, ALfalfa SProuts, Eggs, Garlic, Taurine, Dicalcium Phosphate, dl-alpha Tocopherol, Sodium Ascorbate, Chicory Root Extract, Freeze-dried AEnteroccous faecium fermentation product, freeze-dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, freeze-dried lactobacillus casel fermentation product, freeze-dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, potassium chloride, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, carotene, niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Calcium Oidate, Biotin

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 26%

Crude Fat 12%

Crude Fibre 3.5%

Moisture 10%

Vit E 1000 IU/kg

Vit C 500mg/kg

Linoleic Acids (Omega6) 3.9%

Fatty Acids (Omega 3) 1.3%

Totak microorganisms 100,000,000CFU/LB

4000 kcal/kg

500kcal/cup

Any dry food which lists meat or poultry first in the ingredient list is better than those which list meat by products, or cereals.

Dry food is one of the few products where the price truly reflects the quality. You pay more, you get a better product, and the dog eats less of it, so it is more economical than the price you pay would suggest.

Pal make advance and they did a trial. Pal Meatybites are about $24 a big bag, whilst advance is around $90. Advance was more economical to feed - by about $2!!

I used Innova for a while, and I was very happy with it It is on my list of dry foods I recommend to my puppy buyers - like Kit Kat, I dislike patronising the chain which sells it, and if I didn't have to support them to buy it, I would probably use it more. I don't use much dry food anyhow, as I feed BARF, but all dogs do better on a premium dry food.

Keep using it if the dog likes it and is doing well on it ........ no artificial flavours or colourings, and it is not sprayed with used cooking oil to make it palatable :eek:

The other nice thing about Innova is that it uses human grade ingredients.

i.e. they don't use mouldy, mouse dropping infiltrated floor sweepings :confused:

Pity about the Pet's Paradise thing, though.

Maybe someone should advise Innova that their chosen Aussie supplier is reported to supply puppy farm pups :eek:

Peter D

Meat or Meat Based (Turkey & Chicken = Poultry and definition is the same but relates to chicken parts) Meat is the clean flesh of slaughtered cattle, swine, sheep or goats. The flesh can include striated skeletal muscle, tongue, diaphragm, heskeletal muscle, tongue, diaphragm, heart or esophagus, overlying fat, and the portions of skin, sinew, nerves, and blood vessels normally found with that flesh. This is what some people would call on the hoof or "wet - state". This applies equal to all livestock whether it be Beef, Chicken, Lamb, etc.. After processing these meats can loose up to 80% of their weight. Thus when looking at the ingredients list you might find it as number one but in true reality after processing it will fall between 4, 5 or even 6 on a true ingredients list

Meat Meal (Turkey & Chicken Meal = Poultry Meal and definitin is the same but relates to chicken parts) Rendered meal made from animal tissue. It cannot contain hair, hoof, blood, horn, hide trimmings, stomach or rumen (the first stomach) contents, or manure except for amounts that may not be avoided during processing. It cannot contain any added foreign matter and may not contain more than 14% indigestible materials. Indigestible crude protein in the meal cannot be more than 11%. Meals are also use after processing and give a more ture actual weight on the list of ingredients for placement over whole meats or "wet - state" meats.

Any dry food which lists meat or poultry first in the ingredient list is better than those which list meat by products, or cereals

Couldn't agree more - ideally what you want is your MEAL or MEATS listed within your first few ingredients ... BY PRODUCTS are to be avoided :confused:

Poultry By-Product Clean parts of slaughtered poultry, such as heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, feet, abdomen, intestines, and heads and must not contain feces or foreign matter except that which is unavoidable and then only in trace amounts.:eek:

Poultry By-Product Meal Made up of ground, rendered, and clean parts of

slaughtered poultry, such as undeveloped eggs, necks, feet, and intestines. It does not contain feathers except those which are unavoidable during processing.:eek:

Haven't tried it myself but from the ingredients listing Innova appears to be quiet a good, balanced dry food

:eek: Good Luck !!

Haven't tried it myself but from the ingredients listing Innova appears to be quiet a good, balanced dry food

:eek:  Good Luck !!

I have tried it myself; it is not as tasty as other kibble I have eaten, but that is probably because it has less of that great flavour enhancer, salt.

Peter D

I am using the Innova lamb and rice puppy food for a dog that had to put on a fair bit of weight. I usually use Eagle Pack but was having trouble getting it at the time.

I did a lot of research on dry foods before I bought it and it seemed one of the best plus most people on this forum thought it was a pretty good food.

I have tried it myself; it is not as tasty as other kibble I have eaten, but that is probably because it has less of that great flavour enhancer, salt.

I'm abit slow this morning - took me awhile to work out what you were saying !! Thought you had lost your mind !!!

:eek::confused::eek::eek::mad:mad:rofl::rofl:

Edited by HuntinHound

I actually came across Innova at Pets Paradise. I told the guy there that I was very impressed with the ingredients but I wanted to choose a product that was widely available as well as being good. He told me about the vet that has it or will be supplying it.

I think I know the vet he was referring to. Its on High Street...Ashburton or Mt Waverley. I am pretty sure he said it was about to be distributed to vets and gave that one as an example.

After reading your comments here, I will definitely look further into this. I should be abkle to find out more in about a week. If it is true and Innova is becoming available outside Pets Paradise, I will post a new topic so you can all see it clearly. Thanks for your comments.

Is it ok to feed my 4.5 month old Innova as well as some rice and mince lamb or chicken? Of couirse I would reduce the amounjt of kibble she gets. Would that give her enough vitamins and minerals etc?

I'm abit slow this morning - took me awhile to work out what you were saying !! Thought you had lost your mind !!!

:o :D :):):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I promise you, I'm not kidding :) Any dry kibble I've fed my dogs I have also nibbled on myself.

I have never eaten canned dog food or raw dog food kangaroo meat, ever, but kibble is fair game :( .

I think that Pal in cans would make me ;) . I have never, ever, fed canned food to my dogs.

I love them; I'd go out and shoot a 'roo to feed them. I don't have a gun, so its going to be road kill, guys.

Peter D