Fleas

melbell

Sorry if this sounds a bit vauge :rofl:

OH has these kind of itchy bites on the top of his leg for about 2 weeks now, they are spreading down his leg...originally we thought it might have something to do with him working with fibreglass.

They kept spreading even whilst we are on holiday. I have not been affected at all.

He thinks we might have fleas in the house? He has apparently seen them on the sofa??? I have yet to see anything...he is trying to catch one as I type.

We are using Advantix on our dog and he is not scratching any more than usual. I have wiped him over with a white tissue and then wet it under water....I heard that if he has fleas you will see red spots on the tissue :rofl:

Can anyone point me in the direction of any other tell tale signs and what I have to do if we have fleas in the house....do I need to call some sort of pest control person or is there something I can do myself??

Thanks in advance

Mel

Mel, try putting some Advantix on OH and see if he stops getting bitten :rolleyes:

Just kidding! I'm afraid I can't help you - I find it strange that he would be getting bitten and you not.

Maybe try using a couple of flea bombs in the house and see if it helps. You can buy them at the supermarket but read the instructions very carefully.

I took some out of the packet last night as a joke and went to put it on the back of his neck :confused:

I bet he was impressed :rolleyes:

I'll be interested to see how you go with the flea bombs as I've never actually used them myself. I was about to use them once but we ended up moving house instead (and not because of fleas :eek:)

OH has these kind of itchy bites on the top of his leg for about 2 weeks now, they are spreading down his leg...originally we thought it might have something to do with him working with fibreglass.

Fleas don't have a compass and don't work in a pattern, yet they are working there way down his leg??

If he is getting bitten and your not , i say fibreglass as it can cause welts, iching, bite like marks.

bet he was impressed

Luckily he saw the funny side!

Fleas don't have a compass and don't work in a pattern, yet they are working there way down his leg??

Thankyou, I didnt even think of that...if they were fleas it would be all over his body..and mine, not just down one leg.

We have also had a friend looking after the place while we have been away, and they have reported no signs of any bites. All this flea talk is making me feel itchy though!

Other possibilities, it could be spider bites (and fibreglass splinters can cause irritations). Sometimes a spider can find it's way into trouser legs etc. I'd only use a flea bomb as a last resort, it involves very toxic chemicals, worse than fleas in my opinion. Fleas in the house can be easily controlled by regular thorough vacuuming of carpets and ophulstery. You eventually get any eggs they've laid and break the breeding cycle.

Natural flea treatments:

Mix 1 cup of borax in about 4 litres of water and add half a dozen drops of peppermint essential oil. Mop the floors with this mix. Put a tissue soaked in peppemint essential oil into your vacuum cleaner bag and go over the floors and couches well. The peppermint will kill any live fleas that get sucked into the bag. Mix about 1 tbsp of borax and a couple of drops of peppermint in 500ml of water in a spray bottle for difficult corners and surfaces.

www.natraspray.com.au is a Brisbane natural pest control company using only pyrethrins.

Flea Free is a combination of apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger, herbs, citrus and more natural ingredients, which you add to your pet's food and water. It's a much better alternative to chemical based treatments like Frontline, etc. and works really well against all biting insects / parasites. It is also a great natural tonic for general wellbeing.

Strange as it sounds fleas will bite someone and not another as they will live on a dog and not bite it but all around it. Wouldn't discount the fibre glass reaction though. Maybe if you have or know of someone with a Kirby Vaccum cleaning system you might give the house a good go over,Carpets,furniture,drapes and beds too. This may fix the problem but i would tend to think that maybe hubby is bringing it home with him, do you wash his work clothes seperately to all others ?

Natural flea treatments:

Mix 1 cup of borax in about 4 litres of water and add half a dozen drops of peppermint essential oil. Mop the floors with this mix. Put a tissue soaked in peppemint essential oil into your vacuum cleaner bag and go over the floors and couches well. The peppermint will kill any live fleas that get sucked into the bag. Mix about 1 tbsp of borax and a couple of drops of peppermint in 500ml of water in a spray bottle for difficult corners and surfaces.

www.natraspray.com.au is a Brisbane natural pest control company using only pyrethrins.

Flea Free is a combination of apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger, herbs, citrus and more natural ingredients, which you add to your pet's food and water. It's a much better alternative to chemical based treatments like Frontline, etc. and works really well against all biting insects / parasites. It is also a great natural tonic for general wellbeing.

Hi leenie just read your post and was wondering where

i could purchase Flea Free?

ssw4me

Thanks guys, I bathed Toby yesterday and topped up his Advantix a week early. Also did a really good vacum of the house and we are getting the carpets and lounge steam cleaned in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Leenie those were really good suggestions, I dont like the idea of having the flea bombs as we have turtles and fish so would need to remove them before setting anything off...which involves moving a HUGE tank, so will be getting some borax and pepermint oil.

I always wash his work clothes seperatley...they smell :cry:

Yep fleas will bite some & not others & i have seen people who where bitten on the leg area more that other parts of the body.

If the dog has had fleas then good chnace there in your house.

If it was me i'd flea bomb anyway better to maybe stop them now then let them breed more in the warmer months plus it kills other things.

But lets face it it could be so many things but if i had a small incling it was a flea i would treat it

If the dog has had fleas then good chance there in your house

I dont think he has them, he always has advantix or frontline every month and I checked him the other day and didnt see any?

OH has a doctors appointment this week so hopefully he will tell us what it is. The place he works at also has a dog....im wondering if its possible he has brought them home??

Mel very possible the dog at work could be the culprit,also depending on the breed if its rubbing against his legs he may react to the dog.

Im not allergic to dogs but there is one breed that if it touches me i come out in a rash sort of thing

Maybe if you have or know of someone with a Kirby Vaccum cleaning system you might give the house a good go over,Carpets,furniture,drapes and beds too.

DYSON DYSON DYSON

yep dyson will do the job well too. not the kind of thing MM would think of though. LOL. Shih tzu's are said to be very cat like maybe in more ways than one and that could be your rash. I know its not dogs but I used to get reaction to sand worms as in fishing bait my eyes would swell up so bad i could not see at all. I mean I'm not pretty but this was scary looked like had done 15 rounds with a heavy weight boxer ! :cry:

I know its not dogs but I used to get reaction to sand worms as in fishing bait my eyes would swell up so bad i could not see at all. I mean I'm not pretty but this was scary looked like had done 15 rounds with a heavy weight boxer !

Oh I dont know...that sounds like a very sexy look to me :cry:

The dog at work is a collie so with the longer hair he might be getting a reaction...something neither of us had thought of, I will ask him if he has alot of contact with the other dog.

Im a fan of the Dyson too...have been checking them out on Ebay and trying to convince OH that i really neeeeeeed one, he disagrees but of course he would...he never does the vacuming!