My Faith In Gone

Eldoop

Hi all, well yesterday I went to buy some Malaseb to wash Minx and I spoke to the vet while I was there, or it could have been the vet nurse, not sure, I asked for the vet and she came out, anyway this is the 3rd vet I've seen about Minx itchy under her ribs area, but this is the first that hasn't looked at Minx as I dropped in while I was out shopping, and this one said Minx must have fleas, so after I said to her 3 times....No she doesn't have fleas, I just didn't argue with her then I asked where would she be itchy if she has fleas then...... and after she listed the spots on the dog, I said...well I can honestly say NO she doesn't have fleas then!! :eek: so I told her again for the 10th time where Minx scratches! anyway it boiled down to bring her in for a skin scrape as I already knew, but all I wanted was to buy some Malaseb to see if what the vet at Pets day out said was right.

Also while at this vet I ask what the 3rd vacc would cost so I can get Minx done while I'm there getting her skin checked as she is due next week, I said I had a C7 done at my vet for her second vacc, then this girl told me there is no such thing as a C7 injection? there is only C3 or C5?? and that my vet took me for a ride??????? does anyone know if there is a C7? I was told it included kennel cough and something else and something to do with the blood? sorry I cant remember what my vet said to me now, but at the time he did tell me?

Have I been ripped off? :D

Dog—C6 70.00

Dog—C7 (full kennel cough) 83.00

A C6 includes - distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus and parainfluenza, as well as the newer Coronavirus and Leptospirosis - this is our 'basic' needle.

A C7 includes all that is in a C6, but also includes Bordetella bronchiseptica - a full C7 is required if your dog goes to regular training, dog shows or boarding facilities, or if you want your dog to "have everything".

http://www.animalclinic.com.au/price_list.htm

There is a C7, it's fairly new in Australia and not worth it IMO. It's been discussed here before (try a search).

C3 = Vaccination against Canine Hepatitis, Canine Distemper and Canine Parvovirus

C4 = C3 + Canine Parainfluenza Virus

C5 = C4 + Bordatella bronchiseptica

C7 = C5 + Leptopsirosis and Canine Coronavirus

The two components for KC (C4 and C5) are not needed IMO as it's like trying to vaccinate against the common cold; too many variations to cover them all and not that bad a problem if gotten anyway. But I know it is needed for kenneling and by some dog clubs.

Leptospirosis can be a problem in Australia, mostly in Qld according to statistics. It's a very big problem up around Mackay according to this vet. But in saying that, I've never heard of a case in all my years.

Coronavirus:

Coronavirus infections are not generally associated with high death rates. Canine Coronavirus is not new to the canine population; it has been known to exist for decades. Most domestic dogs, especially adults, have measurable Coronavirus antibody titers indicating that they were exposed to canine Coronavirus at some time in their life. Its importance as an infectious disease and killer of dogs has probably been overestimated by vaccine manufacturers and some veterinary authorities.

Source

As for Minx's itching, have diet changes been tried to see if she's allergic to something, checked the garden for rogue plants/weeds and the house (if she comes inside) for what detergents she may be coming in contact with?

C7 does exist but kennels & clubs do not ask for that specific jab.

Personally we dont use it as many dogs can react to it.

Very few dog show people use this vacc either,if your not in a lepto prone area why vacc for it,yes some dogs should be done & research on the reasons why it would be apprepiate for some dogs but generally it isnt needed

Kittyhawklee, do you have a mozzie problem were you are. My greyhounds are scratching alot and it is due to the mozzie plague that we have at the moment biting them and causing them to scratch. Check to see if any are around were Minx is it may be why she is itching so much. Cheers Gayle

Kittyhawklee, do you have a mozzie problem were you are. My greyhounds are scratching alot and it is due to the mozzie plague that we have at the moment biting them and causing them to scratch. Check to see if any are around were Minx is it may be why she is itching so much. Cheers Gayle

Really?????

I was always under the impression that dogs were not affected by the 'saliva' as humans are i.e. It does not cause a reasction in dogs that makes them itch as it does in humans. :eek:

Ok she had this jab on the 12th last month so if she was going to get ill, she would have by now, and NO there are no mozzies around my area, well none I've seen yet anyway :eek:

and she does not have a rash at all, and is only scratching in the one spot which is under her armpit area/ribcage area/under belly etc etc :D

Instead of 'vet shopping', you would be better off sticking to the one vet.

This will give the vet a chance to rule out the most obvious causes of the itchy rash first, and then do further tests if they are neccessary. They will be able to observe the progress of any treatment, and work with you in eliminating any possible allergies, one at a time.

A vet will always suggest the most likely cause of the problem first, and if you keep going to different vets, you probably wont get much further than this.

What is she lying on?

Put her on only cotton bedding

and check as advice here the garden plants indoor mats,floors, carpet-- disinfectants used on patio or concrete etc.

she might have a contact itch, as in not a rash but top layer of skin irritated by contact ???

I had a Toy poodle with hair loss--big patch side rear loin area-and scratching--no fleas or skin mites or known condition turned up

that seemed unusual took ages to track it all

and the successful treatment was hormone injections for a month plus no contact except on cotton and wool w ash only for her baths--

she grew hair back slowly and fully-and its Ok today a s she doesnt lie on anything synthetic and I use pure eucalypytus wool wash to bath her -have done so 9 years now

Might have been cos she had pyro and had to be speyed in a hurry for her life?

Edited by V.A.H.

From the first comment this demonstrates how ignorant some VETS can be. What they don't know well they simply um and ah long enough and come up with a diagnosis "IT MUST BE FLEAS" $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Lets treat it with cortizone cream.

Rubbing their hands together ($$$$$$$$$$$). So if you can find a VET who is a VET no an ametuer salesperson that isn't up to date with the products available.

I'm sure the best and honest advice is coming from this forum so if you analize

the advice given try what you think may apply and go from there.

Cheers Chris

Instead of 'vet shopping', you would be better off sticking to the one vet.

This will give the vet a chance to rule out the most obvious causes of the itchy rash first, and then do further tests if they are neccessary. They will be able to observe the progress of any treatment, and work with you in eliminating any possible allergies, one at a time.

A vet will always suggest the most likely cause of the problem first, and if you keep going to different vets, you probably wont get much further than this.

I've only taken her to one vet, what happened was when she was in having her 2nd injection I said the vet about her itchy and he could see anything wrong, but her itch was n't as bad then, then last sunday was the Pets day out at Frankston and there was a vet stall and a sign saying ask about itchy skin, so I did, this is how the second vet come about, then when I went to buy some Malaseb I didn't have Minx with me that day, and thats how the 3 rd vet happened (but as I said, this vet never looked at her) but No.....I only have One vet :thumbsup:

Malaseb is an excellent problem and there would be no harm in shampooing the dog with it anyway. It does help in some instances.

There are two vets at the practice I take my dogs to - one is really great and one of them is totally like the one you encountered.

I took one oldie along with itching and paid to be told that the reason was fleas - I am very particular with preventing fleas at our place and haven't seen a flea in years - but could I tell him - nooooo!!!!

Turned out to be an allergy after I got my favourite vet to do a scraping but the ratbag vet never seems to learn from his misdiagnosises of which there have been many. Now I just refuse to see him if I can't get in to see my favourite vet.

I was sick of paying for his mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!