Weight Gain!

Alibear

Just a quick one!

When Bear was puppy he grew so much and put on weight each week as he should.

He is now 9 mths old and I had him weighed yesterday because I thought he had filled out a bit and wanted to see his growth over the past month, but he hadn't gained any weight at all.

I know as he gets older is weight gain gets slower, but should it be this slow? :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys.

Awww Al, I love you :thumbsup:

I don't know if it helps you at all, but I've found with Chili and Bayliss (who are the only 2 I'd had from brand new) that they seemed to stay the same once they hit about 12 months and didn't put on any weight until around 2 when they really filled out and matured. I struggled with Bayliss for so long trying to get some weight on him, he was very active and skinny, but once he hit 2, things changed and he filled out nicely. Chili has just turned 2 and I haven't weighed her for awhile but she looks as though she's bulked up a bit. Different lines would be different though I guess.

If you do want to put some weight on him, do a search for satin balls - can't believe the difference its made with Indi after 2 weeks.

Edited by ImaShepHead

Awww Al, I love you :laugh:

If you do want to put some weight on him, do a search for satin balls - can't believe the difference its made with Indi after 2 weeks.

Awwww ISH thanks!!!! :laugh:

I don't need to put weight on him. I'm pretty sure he is alright with his weight. I just thought that maybe he should be getting bigger or something :thumbsup:

Will keep the satin balls in mind though if he ever gets to skinny!

Thanks again!

I aint an expert Bear....but Id assume he has probably finished growing perhaps? :thumbsup::laugh:

Thanks Springer!

But....I thought he didn't finish growing until the 12 - 18mth mark?

Does anyone know if this is correct?

He is 32.8kg at the moment and in my mind, he is quite small for a GSD. I don't mind - don't get me wrong, I don't mind what size he is just thought he would get bigger!

This pic was taken yesterday! He still looks like a widdle puppy to me!

Grass2.jpg

Height wise I'm pretty sure GSDs are fully grown at 12 months. Other changes like colour, generally maturity (like his face will look more grown up) and weigh will still keep changing until about 2 (could be longer or earlier depending on lines). I think usually they say GSDs are 'fully grown' at 2.

Do you know how tall he is? Just looking at some of the breed survey certificates I have of stud dogs, they all weigh similar weights to Bear so I don't think he is that little.

Height wise I'm pretty sure GSDs are fully grown at 12 months. Other changes like colour, generally maturity (like his face will look more grown up) and weigh will still keep changing until about 2 (could be longer or earlier depending on lines). I think usually they say GSDs are 'fully grown' at 2.

Do you know how tall he is? Just looking at some of the breed survey certificates I have of stud dogs, they all weigh similar weights to Bear so I don't think he is that little.

Thanks for that info ISH! :thumbsup:

I don't know his height, but now you have me thinking and I want to know.

Where do I measure to get his height? Or can I not do that?

Just wrote out a big reply and the stupid internet cracked it!

Theres a proper measuring stick you can use, its shaped like an upside down F with the bottom bit sitting along the ground, the long part has the measurements marked on it and the last bit slides up and down to sit on the dogs shoulder to get the right height. If you know someone who shows or even at an obedience club (for measuring heights for jumping etc) they might be able to let you borrow theirs.

For a rough idea, you could stand him against a wall and mark it, then measure the mark. According to the breed standard, he should be somewhere around 65cm tall to his shoulder. Try to stand him like a show dog for the measurement.

Just wrote out a big reply and the stupid internet cracked it!

Theres a proper measuring stick you can use, its shaped like an upside down F with the bottom bit sitting along the ground, the long part has the measurements marked on it and the last bit slides up and down to sit on the dogs shoulder to get the right height. If you know someone who shows or even at an obedience club (for measuring heights for jumping etc) they might be able to let you borrow theirs.

For a rough idea, you could stand him against a wall and mark it, then measure the mark. According to the breed standard, he should be somewhere around 65cm tall to his shoulder. Try to stand him like a show dog for the measurement.

Thanks so much ISH!!!!!!! Your Wonderful!!!!!!

I will give it a go tonight, just to get an idea! :thumbsup:

Thanks Rachiie your lovely comments on Bear and for that info on your boy! :p

37kg's at 1 - ok so if Bear is 9mths at nearly 33kg he must be about the same as Axle. :rofl:

Not worried, more curious then anything. I will be sure to get him wieghed in another mth and check it out then. I am also going to mark the wall tonight, so I can monitor his growth like ISH mentioned.

Do you know what Axle's height is?

Edited by Alibear

Ali we luv ya too dont stress Oliver is 16 months 65cm or thereabouts and 34 kg but he looks like crap big long and gangly with a beautiful tail of course :rofl: thats why I post pics of him laying down :p and he is a fussy eater

Hey Isaviz - not stressed - just wondering thats all. :p

So Oliver is 65cm, hmmmm........I did a quick measure last night, and of course it isn't with the correct tools or anything like that, just up against the wall but it looked like he was around the 60cm mark.

thats why I post pics of him laying down

Bear is nearly 33kg and Oli is 34kg.....oh no Bear is a fatty! :rofl::rofl:

Edited by Alibear

Bear, the breed standard says
Dogs:  Height at withers  60-65 cm (23½ - 241/2 ins)

Weight    30-40 kg (66-88 lbs)

Axle (by my dodgy measurements) is 65.5cm - would that be a bad thing in the ring?

Rachiie - I read something today that said the standard was to 68cm :D If I could find it again I would give you the link, but of course I have no idea where I seen it now :)

I have no idea about any of this, but I wouldn't worry!

In NSW breed survey lets you get away with 66cm for males (I think, but I'm not certain, that in Vic its still 65cm) and that would be the same showing wise. I haven't had anything to do with oversize dogs so I'm not sure if you would be disqualified or just put down the order further if your dog was too big.