Is Frontline The Best Flea/tick Treatment

caesar

Tried Frontline previously on 2 dogs and 2 cats for 6 mths, did nothing...

Am using Advantage Duo its great, but will be trying advantix now that it is summer live in bad tick area, constantly have to check my cats..

Dont use it on your cats though! It's extremely toxic to cats. You will need to keep your cats and dogs seperated for 12 hours after applying the Advantix to your

dog(s).

I always used to use Frontline and never had any probs with it. Recently I was talking to my cousin who is a vet nurse and she was saying that lots of people had been unhappy with frontline recently because even after applying it, there were still fleas on their pets. It seems that frontline has lost its efficiacy.

I am now using Advantix. don't let your vet talk you into Frontline at the moment, they are realising it's not working and are trying to sell all their stock.

Edited because this keyboard makes me spell really badly... stupid keys are too small

Edited by Divine Angel

Recently I was talking to my cousin who is a vet nurse and she was saying that lots of people had been unhappy with frontline recently because even after applying it, there were still fleas on their pets. It seems that frontline has lost its efficiacy.

I speak to the Frontline people roughly 1-2 times a year. This is what they said in our last seminar....

But what if you still have fleas. Often the product is blamed for failure. However, investigation into these cases will usually reveal 1 of 2 scenarios:

Perceived inefficacy due to:

 Appearance of newly emerged fleas from the pupal window.

 Re-infestation with an external flea source (other flea-infested animals in the environment.

Incorrect use of flea control products, due to:

 Compliance and application failure

 Failure to treat ALL pets in the household

 Washing and swimming (water-fastness; label directions remain a guide for the water-fastness of a flea product.)

The cat flea can jump up to 48cm in length and up to 17cm high to catch a passing host.

Once the flea has found its host, it begins to feed almost immediately (within 1 minute). Mating occurs on the host in the first 8-24 hours, with egg production beginning within 24-48 hours of their first blood meal. It reaches a peak of 40-50 eggs per day by day 4-9 and may continue for over 100 days. One flea can produce 2000 eggs in its lifetime

What you need to know

 95% of flea stages live off the pet and can survive up to 6 months in the environment (or longer in colder climates, I know in The Netherlands they say pupea can live inside the house up to 2 years)

 Fleas breed all year round.

 All animals in the household must be treated.

 Fleas can re-infest the pet from other sources.

 Flea control must be used at the correct dosage and at the correct dosing interval. (Clients purchasing their flea control from a veterinary clinic use an average of 5 monthly doses per pet per year)

Did you know: About 200 different species of fleas exist worldwide. Mature fleas feed with blood from the skin of their host: pets, people and wild animals, like skates, fishes, and birds. The best known species are the cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis felis, which can also bite dogs and humans), the dog flea (Ctenocephalides canis) and the specific human flea (Pulex irritans). These fleas belong to the group of the wingless insects (Phylum: Arthropoda; Class: Insecta; Order: Siphonaptera; Suborder: Pulicidae). Fleas can transmit germs to their host, like eggs of tapeworms. The rat flea (Xenopsylla cheopsis) was the transmission vector of the bubonic plague bacteria (Yersinia pestis) that caused billions of victims in the Middle Ages

I wonder what they have to say about ticks? Fleas I can handle, but I've already lost one dog to a tick so very diligent with my prevention and searching. Tried Frontline and was still finding ticks all over them.

I have nine dogs from Chihuahua to Great Dane and all are Frontlined every month all on the same day. There is not a single flea at my place. I've never had any infestation problems at all. Having said that, I don't have carpet so that might be a facator too. I have taken several of them into tick areas and had no problems.

Tried Frontline and was still finding ticks all over them.

Frontline won't stop ticks from getting on the dog and the tick actually has to bite the dog in order to be killed by the frontline in the dog's system.

Jo

Hmmmm you have me thinking here. I currently use Frontline and I must say I aint real happy.

So Advantix then. Is it cheaper or same as Frontline? :D

Advantix is about $3 dearer than Frontline give or take but I guess it depends on what store or vet you buy them from. Personally, I think it is money well spent.

We live in NQ and since switching to Advantix my George hasn't had a tick on him - which I am very grateful for. It is used in the same way as Frontline - spot on - and you can use it monthly for brown dog tick or fortnightly for paralysis tick.

Bayer should have more info on their website but yep, much with anything else compliance is essential. Plus there is a customer care line on the box if you aren't happy. :)

Frontline(plus) is proving to be next to useless in our area and has been for a good 12 months or more. The spray works better.

Advantix is, to date keeping the ticks at bay, and is working well for fleas.

I too have heard the Frontline sales pitch for years, but in our experience it is not working as it used to in this area.

We have a Vet Clinic with resident animals/boarding facility/grooming facility so have heaps of feed back from clients as well as our own experiences, combined with staff who breed/rescue there is no shortage of test cases.

I think it is not wise to ask WHO IS THE BEST but more so, WHICH ONE WORKS WELL.

Different ppl have different experiences with the products, leading to different results.

So trying to pull a name from different "favourites" may lead to the 3RD World War, so better not compare.