Hair Removal Tips Please!

gusmum

does anyone have any secrets for removal fine short hair? It's driving me bananas.

I've got bed sheets covering the back seat of the car, but still, I get Gus' hair (Vizsla) everywhere. They are so stubborn and fine and some weave into the seat! I often spend hours with packing tape or sticky tape running it over the seat to remove them. Takes hours (I need a life)! Vacuum is a joke, not strong enough. I tried a rubber glove (static) or wet sponge but that was useless too. Surely there's a better way? :rofl:

Okay well I wont tell you about how great my Dyson is too pick up Max's hair then :D :D

Seriously before the Dyson I just had one of those roller things which I got in Coles that picks up dog hair from lounges, seats, clothes etc. In saying that, I went through a fair few pages of the stuff. It rips off once it has lost the stick effect. Sorry I am not very good at explaining things, but it was from the pet section of the supermarket.

Good luck :rofl:

Edited by Springergirl

Dysons are that good 'eh? I know the roller ones you mean. I just thought packing tape was kinda the same thing. What a cheapskate I am. btw what kind of a face is your Max! how can you say no to that!?So cute.

I have Vizslas too. Once I had a car that had a patch of hair on the back seat that was like felt. Had to pull it all out by hand. Now I have a wagon.

Best thing is to prevent it in the first place. Vizsla hair will go through a sheet no problems. Better to get one of those plastic backed seat protectors or similar. In the wagon I still have hair everywhere but I have carpet over the car's own carpet.

As far as hairs on clothes etc. goes ... well I either keep clothes I don't want hair on away from the dogs, or I just shrug and accept it (which is more normal).

Edited by sidoney

I've got a GSP, same hard-to-remove hair....

Like sidoney suggested, I've found prevention WAY better than any cleaning method! I just recently bought a wagon too, and keep the dogs in the cargo area on a thick rubber mat.

The back seats have normal car seat covers on them which protects them somewhat, but that's mainly for the dribble from the cargo area!

When I had the coupe, I came across a back seat 'sling' type car seat cover designed for pets... had loops that went over the drivers and passengers seat, as well as two more loops for over the rear seats.. in between was a plastic backed fabric square that covered the whole area bewtween the front and back seats. That make any sense at all :rofl:

Ah yes. The old demented-hair-that-squirrels-into-everything routine.

I just tell people I'm going through a mohair phase ie. Mohair clothes, mohair car, mohair floorboards, mohair furniture. Sometimes even mohair food.

Was wondering how long it would take for you to grace us with your presence Rugerfly :rofl:

btw what kind of a face is your Max! how can you say no to that!?So cute.

Lucky he has the cute face gusmum - it saves his botty from being smacked with all the naughty things he gets up too!!!! :D

i have the bissel up right bagless vac which was voted and roadtested in dogs life magazine sept oct issue and it is fantastic with lab hairs and puppy fluff and cat hair and 3 human girls long hair it is great amazing what really is int he carpet yukkkkkkkk...... also use the sticky rollers fluff removers too....good luck!!

Ah yes. The old demented-hair-that-squirrels-into-everything routine.

I just tell people I'm going through a mohair phase ie. Mohair clothes, mohair car, mohair floorboards, mohair furniture. Sometimes even mohair food.

OMG Raz, you never fail to crack me up! :laugh:

Sorry nothing constructive to add. Greyhound hair is bad too (thank goodness they don't shed too much!) am just viewing with interest. Think I might just go with the mohair phase too... :o

One thing that I do that helps is run the groomer over them regularly to get out the loose hair. It's the type with sticky outy rubber bits. I do that outside, brush off the loosened hairs, and it reduces the amount of hair that comes off where I don't want it.

Think I might just go with the mohair phase too... :laugh:

Good idea, GG. It's pretty well de rigeur with a lot of people on dogzonline. Those owners of dogs with non shed coats have no idea what they're missing out on :o I mean, what on earth would I do without a mohair husband?

ok - going to recce the Dyson. But interested in those fancy seat covers with loop things. You're all spot-on there. The hair goes right through the *&% sheet - into the car seat fabric! Doh - why that didn't occur to me before..I'll never know. I thought is was because he shakes himself - in the car!!! - or else the hair just goes everywhere when I have all the windows down.

Yes, prevention is better.. sigh.. thanks everyone. Right now I can't be bothered. My whole car needs a good clean inside & out.

The back seat thing is called a "Back Seat Buddy". Not cheap but very effective.

The hair is fairly firm and so short that it's stiff. As you see when you run your hand along against the lie of the hair. And it penetrates things. LOTS of things!