Sheltie Who Walks On His Hocks.

Tia

I'm writing this for my mum and her 7yr old sheltie Prince.

Prince is overweight and walks on his two back hocks. As you can imagine he cannot move far or up and down steps. It has been an ongoing problem for a while now.

His vet has said it's caused by dermatitis on the paws. :thumbsup:

Prince is on pain medication and as you can imagine doesn't get to enjoy a full on doggy life.

Has anyone ever encounted anything like this before?

Any ideas on other things that may help him? He's on a diet now, but not being able to walk means no exercise.

Thanks.

How overweight is he? How long has he walked like this?

If it were my dog I'd get a second opinion from another vet, preferably one knowledgable about structural degeneration. Sounds like there might be some serious skeletal issues to me. I'm thinking maybe hips or knees.

Can he swim? Swiming is the best non weight bearing exercise available.

If your current vet reckons its dermatitis, what has he prescribed to clear it up? What kind of prognosis has he given for this dog? :thumbsup:

Edited by poodlefan

He's very overweight, it's my mothers dog and she trusts her vet. I don't live with them so I can't answer all your questions sorry.

I agree, I wish she would go to another vet but I think she's scared of what they'd tell her. In her case she kills her animals with kindness. :thumbsup:

In her case she kills her animals with kindness. 

Well frankly Tia, it sounds like this one has been crippled by it. Crikey a 7 year old Sheltie isn't even half way through its life. :worship:

Ask her what the vet gave her to treat the dermatitis... pain killers won't be helping that. If she goes for a second opinion, she may actually get some help for this dog.

However, if her vet has tried and failed to get her to get weight off the dog then I doubt there's much that can be done. :thumbsup:

The vet seems to think that the dog is ok and says he's seen other dogs like this, that's why I thought I'd ask.

I've never seen another dog walk like that. I'm not sure what Prince is on, he seems to have creams and medicines for quite a few things.

It's just such a pity, as he does have a lovely temperment and is a great companion for my mum.

I'm not a vet but I have difficulty seeing how any dog walking on its hocks could be considered to be "OK"... imagine trying to go to the toilet like that. :thumbsup:

My guess is your Mum's feeding regime has given Prince a whole range of issues to deal with. Pity your mum can't see that she's hurting him by making him obese.

My mum reckons I'm "cruel" keeping my dogs so lean - I'm glad to say she doesn't own a dog herself.

Definately get youre mum to takl to the vet about whether the dog could do some swimming to get the weight off. When my mum's dog injured her shoulder she took her to a doggy swimming pool to help keep the weight off ehr a strengthen her shoulder. She's in Melbourne tho so I'm not sure what's in your area.

I have seen a condition like this before from memory the hocks required splinting and specific stringth exercises to help strengthen to be able to stand more upright try swimming as an exercise as it is low impact. If you would like some info on splinting PM me.

Tia, you need to convince your mother to take the dog to see another vet, or perhaps take him back to the original vet and perhaps you could go with her.

As you have said that he is very overweight this is going to make his problems even worse and will be very uncomfortable especially with summer coming on. Speak to a vet and get them to suggest a weight loss diet for the boy and also swimming is great as poodle fan said. If you are in Melb PM kimjm as she knows all about hydrotherapy for dogs.

Anne

To me, without seeing the dog, what you describe sounds like a structural issue made worse by the extra weight. like poodlefan suggested, my immediete thought was hips etc. I would also recommend a second opinion.

It sounds like this dog may have a lot of problems related to its diet (what it eats and how much). Truth is though, if your mum does not recognise there is a problem and is not prepared to change - particularly to get some weight off the dog which will be crucial - then there is not much anyone can do. :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for replying.

Prince is on Eukanuba biscuits only now, I think he weighed somewhere in the 20 to 25 kilo range a while ago. Height wise he is a taller sheltie.

My mum doesn't drive and I live an hour away so it's not really possible for her to get him swimming.

Poodlefan, I know what you mean about mum's thinking our dogs are too skinny. My goldy weighs 30 kilos, spot on by our vet but skinny in her opinion. :thumbsup:

Tia,

Did your mum realise that the show dogs weigh around 8-9Kg which I think gives them an emaciated look. Mine is 12kg and the vets say now he is spot on with all his ribs and spine being easily felt.

Maybe the 25Kg is too high and has caused the problems. But Shelties have such an appealing and hungry look they are easy to overfeed.

SM:

Maybe the 25Kg is too high and has caused the problems.

No "maybe" about it... unless that Sheltie is the size of a Collie Rough, it would have to be morbidly obese. :( There's the source of the problem.

Tia is it possible for your mum to see a happy healthy Sheltie to compare Prince to? I'd be dragging her to a dog show or even better to an agility trial so she can see how 'wrong' his weight is? Would that make a difference to what she thinks?

It does very much depend on the height and bone of the sheltie but I would say a normal 15 1/2 inch sheltie should be around 9-10kgs. I have a 16 inch very solid boy who is 12kg and not fat but 25kgs is very very overweight unless he is a very tall sheltie. Simply put he has to go on a diet or walking on his hocks will be the least of his problems. I recommend adding vegs to his diet and cutting back the rest of what he is getting fed

This is Shelby, my sheltie at her fattest last year.

She weighed in at 14kg and was in serious danger of collapsing under her own weight.

If your mum's Sheltie is 20-25kg..... that is morbidly obese and it will kill him sooner rather than later.

My girl is now about 16yrs old or so and whilst still overweight, she's down to about 11kg and is MUCH happier.

post-22-1131021564.jpg

25kg? I had a Pyrenean Mountain Dog who was 27kg! She was small for the breed at only 26 inches tall at the shoulder and lean but not underweight. I have a Dalmatian that weighs less than that too and she is definitely not skinny. I cant imagine how fat a 25kg sheltie would be :(

No it wasn't a mistake because he weighed the same as my goldy when he was less then a year old and growing still.

Cordelia he looks a lot fatter then your girl who is beautiful by the way. :eek:

I don't know if he's lost any weight with his new diet or not. :(