Anyone Else Give Their Dog Greenies?

greentea

Hey everyone,

I thought I should post this story here for you to see. I give my pair of munchkins GREENIES because they are said to be good for teeth and so on. Because one of my dogs has had several incidents choking on bones because he gobbles them, I have to crush them up for him. GREENIES he never gobbles so I thought they were a good alternative for his teeth since he ignores large meaty bones.

Anyway I found this story about them, and decided to show everyone here.:

BAD GREENIES-Click here

I have just read about these things on another forum.

Up until then I had never heard of them, but if I do come across them, I shall certainly be giving them a wide berth.

My dogs are already good at ingesting seemingly inedible things, (it's amazing what they consider tasty) so I don't need to give stuff like this on purpose.

Julie

Doesn't the same thing happen with rawhides?

I've read very similar articles saying almost the same thing about rawhide chews.

Nat

I don't give my dogs greenies or rawhide because they can stick to the dogs trachea, stomach and as you can see colon/intestine. Just let soak a rawhide in water to see how stiky that thing is after. And also the amount of product they use to make rawhide :whiteflag:

I started a thread here on them here once before so if you do a search it should come up. I have only given them once as a treat after avoiding them for a long time (just didn't like the look of them). My dogs were pooping out green colour and lumps of the greenies for over 2 weeks! After that I decided NEVER to give them again. I should have stuck with my gut instinct in the first place.

Yes, I used to give my dog a few greenies a week. But up till last week I saw that same website you posted about how dangerous they can be to dogs. I still got 15 of greenies left as I bought them in a big bag. Anyway, after having seen the VDO on the website, I don't want to risk it . So, no more greenies. My dog was pooping out green colour as well. I'm glad I found DOL forum, I have learnt a lot from it.

Ohhh dear.....Jinta LOVES Denta Stix.....are they a similar product??? my vet sells them..??

They are her absolute favorite, and she INHALES them while chewing - no matter what size I give her.

Anyone know if denta stix are smae as greenies????

BTW i have yet to discover greenies, and will give them a miss. Another lesson learned thanks to DOL. :laugh:

Greenies has been talked about in these forums a number of times in the last week.

Quite simply: Greenies are safe for your dog if you follow the instructions on the packaging: Do not give Greenies to a dog who gulps their food or is likely to swallow large portions just the same as you wouldn't give chicken necks or rawhide to a dog who gulps etc.

Don't believe everything you read, millions of dogs around the world eat this product, not all dogs can tolerate all treats and some treats just aren't suitable for some dogs.

My dogs have had Greenies many times, no green pooes, no choking, no anything bad because I feed treats responsibly.

Some people might experience their dogs having green pooes, well then this treat does not agree with your dog in the same way some of us can't tolerate garlic etc, simply don't give them to your dogs again.

Be careful slagging off a product when you don't know all the facts and you don't know if the information you have read is factual.

Edited by sas

Ohhh dear.....Jinta LOVES Denta Stix.....are they a similar product??? my vet sells them..??

They are her absolute favorite, and she INHALES them while chewing - no matter what size I give her.

BTW i have yet to discover greenies, and will give them a miss. Another lesson learned thanks to DOL. :(

Nah Jinta - Dentasticks are compressed rice cereal :laugh:

Don't know about their "obstructing ability" but they are different to greenies.

BTW i have yet to discover greenies, and will give them a miss. Another lesson learned thanks to DOL. :laugh:

You probably shouldn't be giving your dog this product if they 'inhale' the treat is not suitable for your dog.

You may want to read the packaging to see what the ingrediants are and make your decision based on that and the way your dog eats.

Something softer maybe a better choice for your particular dog.

Edited by sas

Some people might experience their dogs having green pooes, well then this treat does not agree with your dog in the same way some of us can't tolerate garlic etc, simply don't give them to your dogs again.......Be careful slagging off a product when you don't know all the facts

While I could have dealt with green poos for a short time after I gave them (and given their colour I actually expected it) it was the fact that the colour and identifiable parts of the product took TWO WEEKS to pass through SEVERAL of my dogs systems that put me off the product.

Now I am not squeamish, and my dogs are fed a raw (prey model) diet including a wide range of raw meaty bones (and have a well developed constitution - yes they have been known to eat things a little 'on the nose' at times and they have no problem with this), but the normal digestion rate is 4 to 7 HOURS NOT 10 to 14 DAYS :laugh: . THAT was the part I didn't like (and yes my dogs do get a wide range of commercial treats as well on occasion so it is not that they are not also 'used' to commercial products).

Based on this experience (which came well before this release BTW, and my previous thread here will show that) I personally wont be feeding them again. And those are the facts!

Edited by espinay2

They look revolting and they are definately never on the menu here.

Greenies and those disgusting coloured, ground then compressed rawhide crap things.

Bones keep the teeth clean and the breath fresh here. And the odd bit of horses hoof they steal after trimming.

Fresh meaty bones are at least what doggies evolved to eat.

Dogs choke and die on dry food too. I've seen a dog choke on a peice of doggy sausage and die.

Dogs, just like humans can choke on any thing that they try to swallow that gets stuck on the way down.

My point is why muck about with processed crap when dogs can and do stay happy and healthy eating they way they evolved. It is usually cheaper too.