11 Month Old Weim Problems

HeidiB

Hello,

I have ben soo stessed out of late with all my baby's problems, please any comments would be very much appreciated :(

Here is a re-cap of Busta's problems in the past:

Busta Female Grey 11 month old Weimaraner, Busta's usual diet in Eukanuba Biscuit mixed with Bonny Biscuit & chicken mince & fresh bones & rawhide bones, treats are sausage & polony.

February 2005

Had intestinal worms at 11 weeks old.

April

Had Demodex mite causing 1x1cm fur missing on leg, Busta’s brother also was suffering from this.

June

3rd of June Busta was flanked spayed at 6 months old, she developed a seroma from this on her side which when down naturally. She has had her anal glands squeezed as they seem to get full occasionally. While being desexed I requested an ear clean & they found both ears had major infections in them. Treated with ear drops & tablets

16th Jube Busta had stiches out from desexing & still has a slight infection in her left ear.

August

Still infections in ears being inflamed & having wax in both of them. Treating with Dermotex ear drops & cleaning ears with Epi-otic & washing Busta in Malebseb wash weekly. She shows signs if allergies on her feet. Busta started having a lot of Vaginal discharge.

Began ZD Ultra diet for 6 weeks to see if she is allergic to her food.

September

Bloodiest confirmed allergies, 12th had an Endoscopy to find cause of discharge, found no answer from it.

Begin Vaginal flushing at home started clavulox in conjunction with it to see if it clears up.

October

Busta had lump removed from her midline underbelly which was a hematoma she had anal glands squeezed again.

Busta had operation to find where vaginal discharge was coming from after taking her to emergency for showing signs of pain; they released 200mls of puss from her vaginal area that was causing the pain.

They cut away 7cm on infected vaginal tissue & had to open the floor of her pelvis to find the cause. She was diagnosed with a rare case of vaginitis.

November

Still continuing cleaning the ears with epi-otic & giving her a bath with Maleseb

Had Busta allege tested with a dermatologist finding that she is Atopic dermatitis with or without adverse food reaction & secondary Maleasszia otitis externa.

Started Busta on a new diet of Goat, Horse bones & sweet potatoes to see if she shows signs of also being allergic to her food for 6 weeks.

Started giving Busta a vaccine against her environmental allergies.

Started washing Busta in Episoothe Shampoo & conditioner weekly & commencing Dailey ear clean with Dexamethasone Dailey.

Noticed 2.8x3.5cm hard lump behind Busta’s left shoulder, did tests & think it may be a reaction from some scar tissue that she has from her her injections of late, or it may be a fibres tumour. Have to wait 2 weeks to see if it goes down in size if not have to cut it out. Treating it with Clavulox to see if it makes a difference. Busta is only 11 months old

Thankyou so much for reading,

Heidi

Edited by HeidiB

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sympathise, heidi, sometimes it has felt like my weim boy will never be healthy but we are getting there with the help of an excellent vet.

From everything you have listed my opinion would be be patient a little longer, the vaginal problems appear to have started way back in august - fighting that for so long has probably had an impact on her whole immune system and maybe relates to the allergy and ear infections. My boy also got the lump near his vaccination site - it went slowly over about 8 weeks without treatment.

<Sigh> Both mine have allergies.... Busta sounds a lot like Zayda ;)

What exactly are her atopic allergies... there's a lot of different things you can do to help with those... Let us know what they are and I will let you know if I know any tricks that can help!

Also I think I've mentioned to you before that Zayda gets that vaginitis from one of her food allergies... so finding out what she is allergic to food wise may help to clear that up...

Its hard work and it sucks watching them like this... but its great when you have it sorted out!!

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat to someone that has two allergic dogs and knows what a nightmare it can be!!!

Dan :(

Forgot this: Dogs with allergies can be quite sensative to chemicals and vaccines etc. Asher still has a lump from his vaccine last December... and the chemicals in the food can really effect some dogs. It might be worth reading up on Raw feeding as this may help once you know what she is allergic to. Asher is terribly sensitive to chemicals and getting him off the preservatives etc. in kibble made a huge difference. Also Raw feeding is much easier to control what the dogs get as you feed them only what you prepare... Kibble companies often change formulas with no warning, so all of a sudden the dog is reacting to its previously ok food... they've changed the recipe!!

Edited by zayda_asher

Heidi - Hope everything goes well for you and Busta .....sending you lots of get well hugs ;) I know what it is like to have a sick baby....our pup to has been too hell and back with health issues, it so hard and you feel so helpless for them - hopefully Busta is on the road to recovery!! Hope all goes well for you!!!! :(

Thank u all for ur comments, Busta vaginal discharge has all cleared up since they removed the infected area inside her last month. Could any of her problems be genetic?

Here is a list of things she is allergic too:

Busta was allergy tested last week at a skin dermotologist due to her constant scatching & ear infections, these are her allegy results.

Diagnosis: Atopic dermatitis with or without adverse food reaction & secondary Maleasszia otitis externa.

She has also began a new Goat, Horse & Sweet patatoe diet to see if she shows signs of food allegies for the next 6 weeks.

I have to have her re-tested in 6 weeks to see if it all stays the same as its the end of the allergie season & she would of finished her food ellimination diet. If itching is still heavey they can prescibe some medication to help it.

Than maybe she will be tested agian down the track as it takes to the age of 3 years old for a dog to show all of what he is allergic to & how of much exactley it is.

We have to now give Busta a needle with a vaccine in it at home for the next 2-3years. It takes 6-12months for the vaccine to have an effect.

She had an allergic reactions to the following when she was tested against 75 different enviromental things:

Grass Pollens

Perennial ryegrass

Kentucky Blue

Paspalum

Johnson grass

Timothy grass

Wheat

Bermuda Grass

Yorkshire Fog

Prairie Grass

English Couch

Lucerne (Alfafa)

Weed PollensYellow Dock

Western Ragweed

Red Sorrel

Plantain

Short ragweed

Western Ragweed

Mexican Tea

Dandelion

Tree Pollens

Elm Mix

Eucalyptus

Pine mix

Birch Mix

Privet

Mould Spores

Alternaria

Aspergillus

Cladosporium

Insects

Flea

Deer fly

House fly

Cockroach

Caddis Fly

House Dust Mite

D.farinae 25

D.farinae 10

Storage mites

Cheese mite

Flour mite

Grain mite

Tyophagus putrescaniae

Acarus siro 10

Miscellaneous

Kapok

Tobacco

Wow! She's got it bad... poor mite.... For the atopic allergies was she blood tested or intradermal skin tested? It can effect the results... I get the feeling she was blood tested if they are talking about retesting.... I would ask about intradermal skin testing if that is the case as this is the best and most specific test for atopic allergies.

Both of my dogs are on the allergy shots (Allergen Specific Immunotherapy).

Ok... things that I have found:

1) Check all your products for these things.. Some of them like Dandelion and dock family plants are used in alternative herbal treatments... dock plants are often used to treat skin complaints (some of my boy's allergies are Yellow Dock, Dandedlion and Melalueca (Tea tree) ). Eucalyptus is used a lot too of course.

2) Find out if there are any ingredients not listed on product lables (they don't have to list what they term "inactive ingredients", you'll note products that do this often list the ingredients as "active ingredients") sometimes something they are allergic to is hidden. Check with the companies... your Dermatologist can help you with that.

3) Keep those plants out of the immediate environment... Research the plants etc. and find out about them, that can help you avoid them as much as possible.

4) She's bad for the dust mite so keeping your house and her bedding as clean as possible will really help.

5) If she is fine with flea products them make sure you keep up regular, but be aware that allergic dogs sometimes have issues with spot ons (Asher has terrible problems, we have him on oral treatments now as he is also highly allergic to Fleas)

6) Ok the alternaria my girl is allergic to... we've found with her that keeping the environment as dry as possible really helps (the spores come out more in the damp (cold or humid) weather)... Keeping her as warm as posible when it is cold, drying her feet when she has been in the rain (right between toes or they get the fungal growth) all really helps. Also she gets sick in the car from this, but if we give her her antihisamines before we travel this makes all the difference. She gets really teary eyes sometimes too, so Patanol eye drops have made all the difference for that.

7) When they scratch up their mouth etc. there is a lotion called Resichlor that really helps to heal and soothe this.

8) If her coat / skin dries out with the medicated shampoo using an oatmeal conditioner can help relieve that.

Ok.... that's a few tips of the top of my head... My boy is all atopic, contact allergies and chemical sensitivities and my girl is all food allergies and the mould allergy. So once you have the food stuff sorted out you can ask me about that too if you want...

I'll let you know if anything else springs to mind... learning about the plants / insects really helps you to deal with and identify them... We've had good luck with the immunotherapy shots...

Like I said feel free to PM me too if you want....

Dan

Busta was intradermal skin tested, they injected 75 different things in her then waited to see what she had an reaction too.

I have to have her re-tested in 6 weeks to see if it all stays the same as its the end of the allergie season around then, they said is may effect her different than.

Also a test agian down the track maybe as it takes to the age of arounf 3 years old for a dog to show all of what he is allergic to & how of much exactley it is I was told.

For example she has an reaction on a scale of 0-4 (4 being highest reaction) to all the things that she was injected with. If she says a level 2 for one thing than maybe in a years time that may rise to a 3.

Wow! zayda_asher, thank you for the information u are passing on ;) :(

Busta 's skin infections to me just seem to be like little red irritated patches on her tummy, not sure exactley if yeast or Staph. She did have demotex mite when she was a pup that left patches of no fur on her.

She has had ear infections that have yeast & wax in them though.

Here is Busta modeling her allergy Skin Test

post-22-1132896364.jpg

Edited by HeidiB

I can't help with most of your poor doggies problems but as far as the ears go, please please stop the epi otic, it leaves the ears moist and that encourages the fungal infections. Change to something like Leo ear cleaner, it is alcohol based and helps to dry the ears out. As long as you continue with the regular epi otic cleans the ears will not clear up.

please please stop the epi otic,

Hello Ceilidh,

Thanks for ur comment, in regards to the Epi-otic I have stopped using it but only since last week when the skin demotologist suggested using something els dailey to clean the ears with. :(

I'm glade I have stopped.

Cheers

Heidi

Busta was intradermal skin tested, they injected 75 different things in her then waited to see what she had an reaction too.

Yep, both mine were intradermal skin tested too!!! I have photos of mine with their patches ;)

I have to have her re-tested in 6 weeks to see if it all stays the same as its the end of the allergie season around then, they said is may effect her different than.Also a test agian down the track maybe as it takes to the age of arounf 3 years old for a dog to show all of what he is allergic to & how of much exactley it is I was told.

Wow... that's different to when I had mine done... but thinking on it mine might've both been done in off allergy season... Zayda was done at about 6 months of age and Asher was done at about 1.5 yrs.

Wow! zayda_asher, thank you for the information u are passing on :mad  :(

Glad to help... we all have to stick together and help each other on these issues  ;)

Busta 's skin infections to me just seem to be like little red irritated patches on her tummy, not sure exactley if yeast or Staph. She did have demotex mite when she was a pup that left patches of no fur on her.

She has had ear infections that have yeast & wax in them though.

Sounds more like a yeast infection... the medicated baths work really well and also the Resichlor. I believe vinegar rinses work well for this too (I never used them)... someone else might know the ratio for that...

If it is Staph then the herb Pau D'Arco has worked really well for that with Asher...

Check with your Derm, but it does sound like the yeast infection...

Zayda had chronic generalised Demodex... hard work isn't it? Busta and Zayda sound a lot alike!!

So I notice you are in WA... are you going to Murdoch to get this done?? I believe you are in a rural area from past posts... is there someone out your way or do you come up and go to Murdoch... Who's your Dermatologist?

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

Yep, I live in WA in the northern suburbs of Perth, in Sorrento near the beach so not very rural at all so I do go to Murdoch Uni to see the Derrmatogist there, they are really wonderfull.

It sure sounds like our fur kids have some things in common, its so great knowing I'm not the only one :(

Edited by HeidiB

Whoops! For some reason I had it my head you were in Albany or somewhere... no idea where I got that from :( ;)

We're up Northern Subs too... We've got a wonderful relationship with our Derm at Murdoch... they do a great job don't they? So helpful!!!

It is always nice to share stories with other people who have similar experiences... Once you have everything sorted out it will be easier... Mine do agility and obedience and do well... although it was really hard when we were doing the food trials with Zayda... Do you do obedience with Busta... I think you do (although I was wrong about where you live so who knows lol!) What foods have you got her on at the moment? Whatever meat you are using as your novel protein - if you boil it lightly you can use that as a training treat... you can also dehydrate it in the oven... This way you know its just the one protein source and is safe for her... and its not as boring as feeding her the z/d kibble for treats which they get bored of quickly!

Let me know what she is allowed to eat at the moment and I'll see if I have any training treat ideas that are useable!

Dan

Busta can only eat at the moment Goat (protein) & sweet Patatoe (carbs) & Horse Bones to chew on. The Goat comes in a fresh Mince form in a packet, I have just began this diet last week & it goes for 6 weeks.

I was told by Murdoch that I can give Busta fruit as a treat as dogs arn't allergic to it they have found. So I give her cut up Pear, Banana & Pineapple, she seems to like it at the moment. That suxed when she was on the ZD diet as it was ZD for everything!

I used to do obedience on the w/end at Carine Open Space & I love teaching Busta tricks & hope when she is of age to start agility with her. She also does Tracking with Trackwest at Gnangara Pine Tree plantation in the Cooler months.

I'm an artist & paint all of the down south WA region like Margaret River so thats may be why u thought I lived down South.