Barney - My Foster Dog

Her Majesty Dogmad

I first saw Barney (a tiny tan terrier cross - think Griffon) in Hawkesbury Pound on my way to Rozzie's with Murphy the greyhound. It was instant love for me and I kept in touch with HP, preparing to take him myself (although that was a big ask for me with 6 dogs already). Then he came to Doggie Rescue. In the next week I rehomed my 2 long term foster dogs (which I'd thought would never happen), I believe that it was to make way for Barney.

I had to make him a ramp as he was so tiny he couldn't manage to get in and out of the door otherwise. He enjoyed my home comforts and the friendship of my dogs who all accepted him as one of the family, he helped my foxie search for lizards or lay in the long grass in the sun. He couldn't walk far but he still came to the park with us.

I knew he was sick when I fostered him, what I'd thought initially when I saw him at HP was fat was actually fluid caused from a failing heart (he was about 6 yrs old). He was put on lots of medication. He may have had longer if his previous owners had looked after him but I just hoped that he would have a few months. Instead it has only been 5 weeks.

He was the sweetest, dearest little dog who never took his eyes off me, no matter where or when. This may sound strange to some but we had a very deep connection.

Last weekend he started going off his food. He rallied after a visit to the vet's but on Tuesday, I knew it was time.

I stayed while the wonderful vet at St Ives gently sent him to the bridge.

All my love Barney, I will never forget you.

Edited by dogmad

dogamd you have had the worst week.

Barney was a lucky little old man. He had exactly what and who he needed for the end of his dear life.

I know you made a lot of scarifices to have him with you, and you know how worthwhile it was.

Barney knew you were there just for him, albeit for just a short time. For him that time would have been the best he'd had in years.

You have suffered greatly. the only comfort for you is that you have done the job you had to do and now he is at peace.

Now all my hopes and tears are for Dixie. Let's hope that it's a good result tomorrow. :) :rolleyes:

Love and hugs from all of us.

LL, CC, HB, PTT, MM & MP.

Oh Dogmad, I am so so sorry. Barney must have known that you were his guardian angel and that was why he watched you every where he went. I

am so glad that he had you in his life, that you took the time to care for him when others didn't.

thinking of you and Barney.

Kate3

Love to you and Barney. It was time, go easy on yourself.

RIP Barney :laugh:

He died in peace and was waiting for your last blessing, ie someone to love him the same as I guess how he loved everyone else. Beautiful that you noticed.

My deep compassion for you.

Jane, I know that Barney's paw prints will be on your heart forever, just as I know you were Barney's saving grace as he got the chance to experience being truly loved. :D

:):laugh: Run free Barney

Thinking of you Jane...

Diana