Titre Testing

Winterpaws

Has anyone had any luck in getting dogs titre tested? I've asked and just got blank looks :thumbsup:

Just wondering if anyone has a vet who is willing to undertake this test rather thah a vaccination. Also interested in the sort of cost involved in the tests

Thanks!

Has anyone had any luck in getting dogs titre tested? I've asked and just got blank looks  :laugh:

Just wondering if anyone has a vet who is willing to undertake this test rather thah a vaccination. Also interested in the sort of cost involved in the tests

Yep - had both mine tested with good antibody levels for parvo and distemper this year.

In the future I will titre test both my guys (4 and 9y.o) and not vaccinate unless the test comes back with low immunity.

Cost ... ummm the invoice is here somewhere ....

Yeap Spud is done and Toby will be when he is due for next Vaccination. :D

Spud is actually sitting on the top level of immunity as if he was just vaccinated - which after 15 months of his previous vaccination I thought that quite interesting. :rofl:

Winterpaws might be with giving All Natural Vet a call and ask them if they now of anyone on the central coast that supports Titre Testing.

http://www.naturalvet.com.au/

O to answer the question with cost it was the same is a C5 booster however if it came back with Low immunity All Natural Vet Care would of Vaccinated for free. :laugh:

I have also confirmed with the boarding kennels we had the boys booked into for Feb and they are more then happy to take the Titre Certificate.

Edited by catzatsea

I guess titre testing is the alternative to over-vaccinating :laugh:

Maybe this has already been discussed many times here but I just wanted to add that I'm planning to come back to Australia soon with my dogs and I had to have a RNAAT test done (rabies anti-body titre testing) whereby the anti-bodies needed to be at least 0.5 IU/ml. I had blood drawn BEFORE they received their yearly booster and guess what, their anti-body count from LAST YEARS booster was 2.62 for two of them, and 3.46 for the third !!! 4-6 times more than necessary... They would still be over the required anti-body count in two years time, three years after the last vaccination ! This example is ONLY for rabies as it is the only test I have had taken out at this stage, but I agree with my vet who believes that we are over-vaccinating our pets... If this is the case, the whole veterinary history on vaccinations needs to be re-written.

The issue is raging in France as to whether we should only vaccinate every other year (once every 2 years).

BTW in France the test was about 5 times the price of the Rabies booster :D

becks & catzatsea what exactly did you have titred?

Canine Parvovirus and Canine Distemper.

Thanks :rolleyes: So, you didn't worry about Hepatitis, or did you vaccinate? When I enquired at my local vet earlier this year, this one was the expensive one.

Taken from a post done in May (by me)

What I have found out through my vet:

Titre testing is now done commercially in Australia for Parvo and Distemper through Mayne Pathology. Cost is about $130 for the two. To titre for Hepatitis blood is sent to Scotland via Perth and cost for just that titre is $190 (and I'm not sure of the Lab, maybe VetPath in Perth?). So to titre for all three will cost about $320 which I don't think covers the cost of the vet visit and taking the blood. You can not titre for Kennel Cough and antibodies for KC apparently only last about 12 months anyway (have not investigated this statement any further). Vets are able to get in an intranasal vaccination for Kennel Cough and Hepatitis if you decide not to titre Hepatitis and choose to vaccinate against it still.

That is correct FHR however after much discussion with my vet Dr Barbara Fougere

(Bio available here) http://www.naturalvet.com.au/ourpractice.html there is adequate consistancy with the antibodies between Distemper/Parvovirus and Adenovirus to not need to send the Titre to Scotland.

This consistancy has been proven over the 100's of Titres that she has sent and has given myself the confidence in knowing that he is covered.

Winterpaws Dr Bill Wright has been reccommended by Barbara as a vet on the central coast who is open to Titre Testing. She asked if he needs any giudance to give her a call. They actually studied homeopathy together.

Leema here is a fact sheet for you that may help you understand Titre testing and what it is all about.

http://www.naturalvet.com.au/Fact%20Sheets/VACCINATIONs.doc

Hope this is of help. :mad

That is correct FHR however after much discussion with my vet Dr Barbara Fougere

(Bio available here) http://www.naturalvet.com.au/ourpractice.html there is adequate consistancy with the antibodies between Distemper/Parvovirus and Adenovirus to not need to send the Titre to Scotland.

Thanks catzatsea, that is what I supsected. I guess I'm a little cautious because I had an older bitch titred some years ago and she actually came back low on the distemper anitbodies and would have needed vaccination. I don't think we titred the hepatitis at all, and unfortunately she died (unrelated reasons) before we got the first results anyway... so I wonder if she would have needed hepatitis vaccination too...

Thanks, catzatsea. I understand the immunity stuff mostly (year 11 biology :)) but:

How are titres tested? Via a blood test?

How long does it take for the results to come back?

I am very confused about what can be titred and what cannot... and the actual conditions vaccinated against in the first place C5... As different sources say different things... :mad Could anyone recommend a good source so I can then work this stuff up? :(

Thanks, catzatsea. I understand the immunity stuff mostly (year 11 biology :)) but:

How are titres tested? Via a blood test?

How long does it take for the results to come back?

I am very confused about what can be titred and what cannot... and the actual conditions vaccinated against in the first place C5... As different sources say different things...  :mad  Could anyone recommend a good source so I can then work this stuff up? :(

Titres are tested via a blood test. The results are normally back within 4 days. However as FHR stated Adenovirus (aka Hepatitis) is done seperatley over Distemper or Parvovirus in Scotland via Perth.

The different Vaccinations for Dogs are as below:

C3 = Distemper/Parvovirus and Adenovirus

C4 = Distemper/Parvovirus and Adenovirus + Parainfluenza(the viral component of Canine Cough )

C5 = Distemper/Parvovirus and Adenovirus + Parainfluenza +Bordatella bronchiseptica (bacterial component of the cough)

Unfortunately I cannot reccommend one particular source for you to gather your information as it is still a reletive new concept however with the info of the fact sheet inconjuction with what FHR has already stated this should make sense..

Cheers

Catz

Edited by catzatsea

Thanks Catzatsea - I'll look him up. I'd much rather titre test than over vaccinate if they do not need it. There is a lot of discussion that over vaccinating in malamutes could be causative of immune deficincies - gotta try get my hands on some of the research!

Thanks so much, catzatsea - you've given me what I wanted to know (maybe, perhaps, what I can cope with, too!) at this point.

Will definitely get a titre test done. :mad

Oh, one more question - how does one say 'titre'? :(

One thing I was advised to do was to still have my dogs Leptospirosis done every year (caught from drinking water rats have peed in).

However, there was an article in the dog press awhile back from a vet saying that most dogs will have minor Lepto infections throughout their life and this could be related to kidney and liver failure in older dogs.