Dog Barking At People

My Amstaff has taken to when people approach us on our walk, he starts barking very loudly at them. To me it is just excited silly barking but very low. If they put their hand out to pat him, he stops and licks their hands etc. If they are frightened (which most are) he keeps barking louder and stronger.

Anyway to stop him doing this? I tell him off, slap his nose, hold his mouth shut etc, but he just keeps barking. The thing is he barks if u dont pat him, is quiet if u do. So I dunno how to stop it. He does it to me also, but nowhere near as much.

Does he like water? If not, you might want to try misting him with a spray bottle? :thumbsup:

That's what we did with our border when we moved house and he barked at everything. :laugh: However, I understand that being on a walk is a different matter. :laugh:

Hopefully someone can offer some good advice!

Its not at people that just walk past, it is at people that are stopped and talking to us. He turns many people off and some think he is being agressive by his bark when to dog people he obviously isnt.

He takes punishment quite badly and hates water and sulks. I dunno if squirting him when on a walk would help or make him terrified of me.

I would ignore the barking and reward him for something you want. eg. take lots of his favourite treats on every walk and as soon as he starts barking, get his attention with the food, and feed and praise him everytime he's quiet and focused on you. He can't bark very well while he's eating! Make the treats really small so at first you can feed almost like a conveyer-belt...one after the other into his mouth. If you're consistant, he should quickly learn to turn to you each time someone comes walking towards you. Good luck!

I used to have exactly the same problem with boofhead. I tried the treats, his ball... anything that he would normally give me his undivided attention for .... but on walks it went out the window.

What i did in the end with the help of a trainer was give him a correction, about face & walk the other way. I must admit tho he normally didnt bark at ppl just dogs. But it was the same type of bark ..... excited which can be abit frightening for those holding the other leash.

For me correcting was one of the hardest things to do especially as he's a very soft dog... but it was the only thing that worked in the end

good luck

I second what hapenfox has said, food and lots of it!

You want him to continue to see people as a positive thing, if you end up correcting him everytime he sees them and barks, you could end up him seeing people in a very negative way.

But don't reward him for the barking, let him know you have the food, really good smelly treats, and distract him and feed when not barking and hopefully also giving you eye contact.

Another food distraction could be to use peanut butter. A fingerfull smeared behind his front teeth should be a positive experience and also stop the barking!

I agree with Anne.

Also, identify the triggers for this behaviour. If you are going to use corrections, you need to ensure that you don't put your dog in the position that triggers this behaviour every single time you go out. Otherwise you will end up correcting him every time you meet people and he will very likely come to see people = correction and possibly start acting aggresively.

I would recommend also that you have a trainer/behaviourist take a look at the situation, just to ensure that you have identified the motivation for his behaviour correctly and that there is not some underlying fear issue.

ETA: what do you mean by 'he does it to you also'? Do you mean that he barks to demand attention from you? Do you follow a leadership lifestyle program and how do you think your leadership is?

Edited by haven

If I go outside etc and just look at him he will look at me and bark and do that whooowhoowhoo were the dog looks like he is trying to whistle, which means for me to pat him.

I do triangle of temptation with him, NILIF etc etc and some prey drive work and it has basically started since I have been doing them. When doing prey drive training he has started barking alot also.

I am the last person to give advice as I have no common sense with dog training and always need help. But I do know that its great you are focusing on getting on top of this, and the sooner you do the better it will be. This behaviour could also manifest itself into other behaviours you don't want. My instinct tells me this is something you can easily get on top of once you know how. I live in Melbourne and have used a fantastic dog trainer. Its about $250 for 1.5 hours and I'm pretty sure you get a lifetime guarantee that what they teach you works. They are amazing. PM me if you'd like to know who they are. I had 1.5 hours with them and since then my kelpie walks off the lead perfectly. Its fantastic and changed her life so much for the better. Good luck.

I agree with Anne and Haven.

Focus is the key to stopping this type of behaviour and finding what it is thats ets the dog off. It can often be that the barking is geting them what they want that makes it so worth their while. I have seen many dogs start to associate corrections with poeple or other dogs so you need to be careful when and how they are delivered. If he demanding your attantion too then this is something else that needs to be addressed

I would also suggest you call in a professional to help sort it out

$250 for 1.5 hours? Sheesh, people say ADT is expensive and yet for that you can get a LIFETIME of training and access to a qualified behaviourist.

Phatdex, as you're using Steve's program, I'd recommend that you email him and get his thoughts on this. One thing that suggests itself to me is that your dog may be linking his barking with getting satisfaction, IE if you pat him when he barks and if he gets the prey item when he barks etc.

If I go outside etc and just look at him he will look at me and bark and do that whooowhoowhoo were the dog looks like he is trying to whistle, which means for me to pat him.

Phatdex, Shelby does the same whoooing thing after I've been out and my son lets her in (cause she knows she is not allowed in unless I say)... I think its cute, but I don't let her know that. Once she has finished making the noise, then I will recognise her and give her attention. By this time she is usually in a sit and watching me like a hawk.

I think its a normal behaviour for staffies, chatty, noisey.

I remember Hobbes (ricey's boy) being very vocal and barking for people to talk to him - or was it for the dogs to notice him? :laugh: Anyway maybe he has some tips for you.

K9: Phatdex, in training in drive programs, the dog is giving an action to get a reaction, such as sit to get the toy etc, a common problem that occurs is that the dog barks in frustration as it wants the toy, & some where along the line gets the toy & feels the barking is the key to getting the toy. This trick has been transferred onto getting attention from people by your dog.

To handle this.

In your prey drive work, go back to stimulating the dog to chase the item, prey drive development, & not allow him to capture for a little while.

Then stop your movement & position the toy so that he will sit, give him the command too.

When he sits instantly release the toy & him to have it.

Repeat this until he sits 100% lightning fast. If he already does this, do it for 6 x 5 minute sessions over 2 days do nothing else.

Then, begin to delay the dropping of the toy, this should bring out the frustration & the bark. If the dog barks, turn & walk away inside the house.

Teach him barking ends the game with NO satisfaction.

He will shut up fast...

When he learns to wait (focus) he will get the toy.

For people, his drive (pack drive) in this case should be tuned down.

Get a person to play decoy for you, have them walk up & have him sit down. The sit should be done via avoidance training.

Command - correction - comply - reward (verbal reward from you).

If he breaks the sit, repeat the action above command - correction - comply - reward.

If he begins to bark same.

The correct action is focus & control himself.

Please update us on how you go with his barking.

My male staffyx barks at people when I am walking him or if he sees people walking past our house- also if he is in the car. I think with my dog it is to do with fear as he is very insecure. It is so embarassing sometimes & he is very stubborn about it. :rofl:

He also stops barking if someone with confidence & friendliness approaches him but the more reserved or nervous a person is the more he barks at them (which only escalates the whole problem). Sometimes when I am trying to have a conversation with someone I hold his mouth but he still woofs under his breath! In the house he barks & then runs to me looking guilty for barking & crouches low, sometimes he continues to bark under his breath but generally if he stops looking at the person he stops barking.

If he is off lead he generally doesn't bark & is more receptive to people.

I am trying to praise him when he sits quietly but sometimes he just won't stop barking. My amstaff girl never barks at people & only barks if she isn't getting her own way, like if my boy has a toy or a bone that she wants she barks & then he moves away from it.

I have to go to sleep now, so wont try the training till tomorrow, but will keep u posted zero.

K9: Could this use of prey drive training help to stop all barkers, whether the prey training was the cause of the barking or not?