Bad Doggie Breath!

Sometimes when the dogs anal glands are full the dogs breath can really smell (because the dog licks its bum), so it might pay to express the anal glands. If they are full empty them each week for a couple of weeks, then just do them fortnightly or monthly.

Hi Toby

I have a recipe for Bad Breath in dogs....

Mint Rice Hamburger

5 cups of uncooked rice

10 cups of water

1kg low fat hamburger mince

5 tbs dried mint

Bring to a boil

Add hamburger mince and mint

Bring back to the boil. Mix well

Reduce heat to low

Cook until all water is absorbed

Good for bad breath

Good Luck!!! :rolleyes:

I found this on a dog site......thought I would make note of it for future reference..

Cheers!!!!

Edited by staffy_lover1

re Anal Glands, they often walk on their bottoms (scoot), most people think it is worms.

NOW if you think doggy breath is bad I will WARN you once stay away from trying to express anal glands unless you want to pass out-LOL.

I usually get mine done annually on yearly visits to the vet, but if you notice the scooting and you know you have wormed then this could be the problem.

Sorry I was going on my experience as a dog owner and vet nurse (registered), not all dogs "attack" thier bums when their anal glands are full. Just ask your vet to ckeck them next time you take the dog in for anything. I'm sure the vet will do it for you and explain how its done.

Edited by curlygirl

Apart from the scooting, when the anal glands are full they will sometimes leak. And the stench is nothing you have smelled before. When I first caught a wiff of it whilst driving pass Geelong, I thought it was the Shell refinery putting out noxious gas into the air :confused: