Uncontrollable Urge To Pee. Stops On Vomit

Erny

You must be impatient to get it all over and done with and get that rotton tumour out of there ASAP...

If there is such a thing as trepadent impatience, then yes, I am.

PS : my girl has had new tests and are awaiting results, I'll refresh our thread when I know more.... Thanks for asking :)

Between your girl, Ollie and Kal, my apendages are so crossed I wonder if they'll ever be the same again. I do so hope the test results bring good news. :)

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jeez Erny what can i say?

For what it is worth i think you are doing the right thing with the human garde food..Lucinda is now on prime rump LOL, and human grade chicken. Can you try 5-6 small meals for Kal..that may be easier for her to keep down. also add some digestive enzymes ( you need to mix in and wait for 10 mins before feeding).

I too have all appendages crossed.....

Hugs

Helen

Thanks Helen.

Kal's meals are split into two. I find it difficult to portion it out any more, as there are those days when my life commitments (ie work) take me away and there is no one else to feed her.

When I introduced the chicken to her over Easter, I fed them as 'treats', so it was fed in little chunks throughout the day.

After the bout of vomiting, I left it for almost 2 days. I've reintroduced it but now I am cooking it (steaming). I still feed it to her as treats, rather than in one big hit. She still gets her other two meals as normal.

Touch wood .... it's only been a couple of days of me doing the cooked chicken so things could still go wrong, but so far so good.

I've had Kal on digestive enzymes (when I had cause to return her to her IBS diet last October and which I haven't been able to get her off of). Enzyplex. The Vet who prescribed the diet informed me that she shouldn't remain on the Enzyplex for an extensive period of time, so after about 8 weeks, I took her off it.

I did return her to it (experimentally) a bit later, to see if it made any difference, but I could detect none at the time. That's been the difficult part - sometimes, when I've tried something out and it 'goes wrong', I wonder if it was coincidental, as there have been times when Kal has been on her usual food (IBS) only and still vomited (although not as badly as she did recently after the chicken).

Edited by Erny

So sorry you are having such a terribly worrying time with Kal - keeping everything crossed for you.

To sidetrack a bit can you remember why your vet said she shouldn't stay on Enzyplex for too long ? As you know my girl has EPI & we've tried all sorts of things - her most recent wonderdrug (Creon) worked for a bit but I am now finding that it is beginning to be less effective so have started adding Enzyplex to her food as well (had some left over in the fridge & thought it was worth a go!). It seems to be working well but now I am wondering whether there are any dark secrets to it that I should be aware of ?

Don't know if it is of any help but my girl had issues with digesting chicken too ( & I was trying to put weight on her at the time just as you are with Kal) - I switched to steamed white fish (skinless) & she has gone really well with this : seems to find it much easier to digest.

... can you remember why your vet said she shouldn't stay on Enzyplex for too long ?

Hi Scottie .... thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, I can't recall why the Vet told me that about Enzyplex. I have consulted with so many Vets so many times regarding Kal's problems for so long, that some information has become a bit hazy. If you want to PM me, I can tell you the name of the Vet who told me this and will more than likely be able to look up his phone number (he's located in Castlemaine, Victoria - there are two Vet clinics there). I have some vague recollection that whilst I was feeding pro-biotics, enzyplex was ok, but that I shouldn't continue with enzyplex once the pro-biotics had finished. I don't even think he said "why" or that I even asked him, at the time. But please don't quote me. I've got so much 'detail' rattling around in my brain that I fear I've got this totally about faced and upside down. And my conversation with him was over 1 year ago. It may even have been said in direct relation to Kal and her sensitivities, rather than as a general thing to say.

Hope your girl continues to improve. It's tough, isn't it .... and something that seems to require constant monitoring and adjusting.

Thanks for the 'fish' suggestion. I'll see how she goes on the cooked chicken for a bit. If that goes pear shaped, then I'll set my mind to thinking about fish - although given that Kal reacted to Joint Formula (containing green lipped muscle - it set her off on the last bout of IBS from which I've never been able to take her off her IBS diet) I'm a bit cautious about feeding her any kind of seafood for the absence of knowing what affect it might have on her. :)

Edited by Erny

Oh boy, that is a lot to take on board regarding Kal's condition. That vet certainly is a wellspring of knowledge and there is now the opportunity to prepare her better for any surgical treatment.

Glad to hear that Kal's holding down her food better now. I am finding this all very nerve-racking just reading about the complexities of Kal's health problems, so I can only imagine how very difficult this is for you. She sure looks one very special dog in your avatar. Sending special thoughts to you and Kal. :thumbsup:

Hi Abs :thumbsup:

I think I have so much to think about regarding Kal's care, that I'm probably not as "nervewrecked" as I otherwise would be. Sometimes, though, damned frustrated. :thumbsup:

We went for a walk at the park today. It was a 'good' day for Kal today. Although she struggled to get up on the back seat of the car, whe managed one full lap of the park once we got there. Up until recently, she was down to half or even only one quarter the distance. It's her third day of cooked chicken and she's been on Vitamin B1 & B12 for 1.5 days.

I'm glad you had a "good day" today :rolleyes: It was "great" for Lucinda also, so the doggy gods must be working extra hard at the moment. Happy to hear she's holding her food down and hopefully you'll get some weight on her before the operation...

In hoping tomorrow is just a wonderful :rofl:

I am so glad it has been a good day for you Erny and for Pampa too with your dogs.

Hope the food keeps going down and staying down and that she gets as well as she can prior to surgery Erny :rolleyes: sending hugs and special thoughts.

Oh God Erny, just found this thread-I don't usually spend a lot of time in 'Health & Nutrition'. What a time you and Kal have had and more to come by the sound of it. I sincerely hope Kal's treatment goes well and you will be in my thoughts on 26th. Take care and stay strong..

Thanks, Pampa, Rusky, Pippi.

Kal is still holding down the cooked chicken (although we had a 'bad' night last night - she drank all the water I added to one half share of the chicken ... to soupify it, you know. Kal drank all the water, then proceeded to gulp all the chicken in one hit (she doesn't chew). Because a section of her oesophegus is nerve damaged, the chicken banked up and stuck, causing extreme pain. 2 minutes of yelping (I couldn't do anything :( .... I was rubbing the spot - human instinct, I guess). Anyway, she bolted for outside (she doesn't like to mess the carpet if she can avoid it, bless her cotton socks) and regurgitated. She felt better then, so of course, re-ate it (yuck).

Today, I fed all of the chicken to her as food treats (bit by bit) for doing tricks. Time consuming, and many tricks later, she at least doesn't wolf it all down and hurt herself.

Sssssshhhhhhh ....... Dare I even 'say' it ..... I think Kal is gaining weight. :laugh:

Today, I fed all of the chicken to her as food treats (bit by bit) for doing tricks. Time consuming, and many tricks later, she at least doesn't wolf it all down and hurt herself.

Kal will be most accomplished in the tricks department when she is fully well again, she can do her own shows, bless her.

Sssssshhhhhhh ....... Dare I even 'say' it ..... I think Kal is gaining weight. :rofl:

:( *it's mum from me, I won't jinx her* :laugh:

Sorry you had such a scare yesterday... I guess if she's still gulping down though, her appetite must still be good.... That must be a positive sign, no ?...

Have you fixed a date yet for the surgery ?

Chin up sweetie, she'll be fine :scold:

Sorry you had such a scare yesterday... I guess if she's still gulping down though, her appetite must still be good.... That must be a positive sign, no ?...

Yes - admittedly, it's not often that she's been off her food. :eek: It wasn't so much a scare .... I've been through this with her often enough since the "bone incident", especially at the very beginning, when I was still learning what and how to feed in the best way to avoid food banking up in her oesophegus. It doesn't happen too often, now-a-days - just feel helpless when it does. And there's nothing like a dog yelping to get you panicking to do something about it.

Have you fixed a date yet for the surgery ?

Not yet, Pampa. Vet visit tomorrow for a repeat on a couple of tests. Purpose is to try to better determine type of tumour. Once results are known, the Vet will better know whether she requires pre-medication (over a 2 week period) prior to surgery. I guess THEN we will be able to work out a date for the operation.

Kal was really perky when I got home this afternoon. Trotting over to greet me, trotting out to backyard, trotting inside and racing down hallway to "show me her bed" :laugh: - this is just something she started doing of her own accord years ago, and now it's just a 'ritual'. :(

Her elevated enthusiasm and energy is great and I wouldn't wish for it to be any other way. But it does make me even more scared about the surgery because at the moment she doesn't appear so low and loss of life quality. I'm not suggesting I'm changing my mind about it ..... just makes taking the risk of losing her that bit more difficult. :sigh:

Edited by Erny

Could her dramatic improvement (enthusiasm & energy), be due to the vit. B tabs and supplements she's getting at the moment ???... Might her metabolism be picking up due to the added vitamins :laugh:

Whatever the case, I hope the appointment goes well tomorrow and I'll be looking forward to an update :eek:

Hi :D

I took Kal's urine sample in with me - they're going to test it again.

Guy (the surgeon) took her blood pressure again. Even though she was very nervous (she gets a case of the shakes when she goes to the Vets'), it was 'only' up to 140. 'Normal' range would be about 120.

It's difficult to tell if the elevated blood pressure is the result of her being nervous, or due to the adrenal gland tumour. With my limited knowledge and understanding, I'm not entirely sure, therefore, what the point of the blood pressure was ..... if they can't tell 'nervous' from 'condition'. :cool:

The results from the urine test should be available by the end of the week.

It turns out, according to Guy, that having consulted with Russell, they have NOT ruled out Cushing's conclusively. With everything being taken into account, Kal does show border line signs of Cushing's, although clinically speaking, they are not convinced. (Honestly, I don't understand this as the ONLY signs to my knowledge that she's not showing are dull coat and pot belly - but her coat has always been 'brilliant' .... now IMO it's just 'nice'. And maybe no pot belly because she's been carrying no excess weight for re-distribution under the influence of Cushing's? - they have both conceded that it could be because we are seeing early stages of Cushing's, whereas they would be used to seeing later stages.) The reason they want to determine this (and it's doubtful they'll be able to, 100%) is because it will give them a better idea of what type of tumour they are dealing with.

Once the urine test results are available, and assuming pre-operative meds are required (and we do assume this), Guy will send out the meds to me and surgery will be scheduled for a date 2 weeks beyond starting the meds. IE Surgery will be in about 2.5 weeks.

I'm not feeling confident that the surgery and post-operative period will be successful.

The good news is that Kal HAS put on weight. Last weigh in which was what .... a week prior to Easter? She was 26.4 kg. Today she was 27.2 kg. This is good.

We went out onto the lawns and as we were walking one of Kal's feet didn't go where it was supposed to and she fell flat on her face. This has been happening more often, lately.

The student Vets who were our audience today couldn't believe how young Kal looked (albeit lean) for her age.

So for all those who pointed at 'Cushings' (Kal's chiro inclusive) .... if you're not exactly on the money, you're pretty damned close.

Edited by Erny