Keeping Dog Occupied While Inside

Hello everyone

We have a 13½ month old JRT Sam who is outside most of the time (in a fenced area near the house) but sleeps inside in the garage. A couple weeks ago I started letting him come into our living area for about an hour each night. He used to just walk around and look/sniff at things (and sometimes annoy the budgie) but last night seemed extra lively i.e. getting the cushions off the chairs. I have started using some of his inside time to get back into some training, which has been sadly neglected for a few months. Does anyone know any good games or things we could be doing with Sam to make his inside time more interesting and mentally stimulating for him :thumbsup: and keep him out of mischief? What are some good inside toys?

Thanks Glenda

A couple of thoughts. Once, is that you can teach him to go to his mat/crate/place - whatever - just a particular place, and be calm - for short times at first, and then for longer. I'm thinking you don't want to be revving him up too much inside - so I would always include a bit of this.

You can do any of your normal obedience type training - in short bursts - he's still a youngster.

Hide and seek with treats; naming toys; retrieves -backcjaining - so you're teaching hold give first.

Do you use a clicker? You can have fun with your clicker and a big bag of treats (take it out of his meal allowance), and do some free shaping, or 101 things to do with a box - a net search will find it.

I think you need to consider two types of time while he's inside - training time when you'll be giving him your FULL attnetion - and expecting the same for you, and then down time, when you and he can relax - you still have him in mind, but you're only giving him part of your attnetion, and he is learning to accept that he can just chill.

Barb

And assuming your dog enjoys being inside with you than outside without you, if he insists on getting up to things he shouldn't .... send him outside for a period. Be consistent. Let him know (praise and attention) when he's being good, and send him out when he's not.

We are very consistent in our house wth doggy inside rules. Beau and Sascha aren't allowed to rough house in the house. They are welcome to be inside as long as they are calm and they enjoy their time inside but they know that if they want to play they go outside. This works well for us mainly because Beau has a habit of running things(including small children) over without looking where he is going so this rule means that he knows that their are quiet areas and play areas.

Why not teach the dog that certain rooms, such as the rumpus or TV rooms, are acceptable play areas, but the formal areas and the kitchen are quiet areas where he has to calm down.

Good Idea Kelpiecuddles :worship: I call them "No Go Zones" my bubs know where they can go and where they can't.

And having his own bed is an excellent idea. They should have somewhere, where they can go, if they want some time out, or if you want them calm and quiet.

Hell even if its a blanket on the floor. Just so they know. My boofs have big plush (but old) blankets, that they know are their "beds". "On your bed" is the cue we use when its time for them to sit down, have a rest, or keep out from underfeet when chores etc are being done.

Night time is the same. If hubby is on the computer in the bedroom (mine is in the loungeroom) often they will get up and go and lay down with him. Other than that they know the bedroom is for night time and out of bounds if either of us aren't in there. They get the message pretty quick :(

Of course right now they are sprawled out on their beds in front of the cooler here in the loungeroom :banghead: Too hot in the bedroom with daddy heh

Good luck with your pup

Zia

Perhaps before you bring him indoors , have a game outside so his energy is drained a little , then make this a pattern for play-indoors-relax

training takes time and repetition so don't let him get away with anything you dont want him to do indoors.

My ACD has unfortunately been allowed to play ball indoors where she and hubbie will throw the ball up the hallway x100 all night while he watches TV and the dog returns the ball to his lap.

Funny to a point , but now she won't leave him alone , that ball gets spat into his lap time and time again.

She wont do it to me , she lies beside my chair , nice and quiet .

It's all in the training :banghead::worship:

Having their own bed is ideal , they know to get out from under your feet , and it gives them their own space .

Once, is that you can teach him to go to his mat/crate/place - whatever - just a particular place, and be calm - for short times at first, and then for longer.

This is good way to teach them to settle down it is the only way my sticky nosed Dobe will settle especially if there is another dog inside. Using this in combination with putting him out if he doesn't want to settle is a good way of getting the message across calm is good, doing the other stuff is not so good.

For the in between times when you can't teach a stay, but you don't want to put him out and if you don't have a crate, you can sprinkle the dry food portion of his dinner around in places where you don't want him to go. This is so that he has something else to do that you don't mind him doing, gradually spread the food further apart so that it takes him longer to find it, he probably will need to learn to look for it if he isn't used to finding food thrown on the ground. When he has got the idea to look for the food, have someone hold him when you sprinkle out the food in another room.

As far as the best toy only your dog can tell you that, just try different things, treat balls or a coke bottle with holes in it (you may need to teach him to roll the bottle/ball to learn that is how the food comes out, not by chewing it :confused: ) , kongs, chew toys. Do a google search for dog toys or accessories to see what is avaliable and what you think your dog may like.

hth

cheers

M-J

Edited by m-j

hi there

everyone seems to have covered what i would have said.

Wear him out first, have house rules re how rowdy they are allowed to be indoors and hoof them outside with a command if they dont settle. When he is settled and got the sillies out of the system then he is allowed in again. Mine have their own mats and baskets but prefer to wrestle each other at my feet on the couch. If it gets too rough then they get the "OI!" if they dont listen then they do time outside. The akita loves nothing more than a good session on a bone and will lie quietly all night now chewing instead of deliberatley blocking the telly or nudging for attention.

Keep in mind he is just a kid and too much ignoring might lead to more destruction. Its when mine are TOO quiet that i check what the little brats are up to!

Good luck and remember a tired dog does less damage! (survivor of 3 staffs) :confused:

Hi everyone

Thanks to all who have replied to my query and all the good advice. I have bought a mat and will start teaching Sam to go "On the mat". I like him to have a walk around inside for a while ( to stretch his legs and use some energy) before I take him outside for his toilet walk before going to bed. I have noticed since we've been letting him have some time inside he is a lot calmer when I take him outside and mostly goes to the toilet reasonably quickly. Because we have no fence & no street lights and cane toads Sam is always on the lead for his night walk.

Regards Glenda

My ACD has unfortunately been allowed to play ball indoors where she and hubbie will throw the ball up the hallway x100 all night while he watches TV and the dog returns the ball to his lap.

I know this would be really annoying and bad but I can't stop laughing here!!!!!

This is a response from a similar question I asked.  I brought the book that is mentioned and I'll copy the pages for you if you want.

Thanks "Missey's Mum". I have printed out the pages 'What games to do you play with you dog?' and will read through them after I finish on DOL :eek:

Glenda

I know this would be really annoying and bad but I can't stop laughing here!!!!!

:D :clap:

He now complains he can't watch TV in peace , oohhhhh duhhhhhhh

She doesn't do it to me though , we sit and watch TV together , smart doggie :eek:

lol yeah theyre smart buggers ... mine is not allowed on the square of carpet that is my living room. I taught her she cant touch carpet so you shoudl see her come to a skidding halt at the edge :D

although she's worked around my OH, she simply commando crawls onto the carpet and then *suprise* pops up next to him. Oh how did I get here daddy? better stay and keep you company then :eek:

cheeky buggers