Human Eye Creme Used On Dog!

I just had a call from a lady who we rehomed a little shitzu too about 7 months ago and for the last 48 hours has had runny eyes, (they had a sand storm and I think it is the result of this)...

Anyway she put in some drops which she went and got from the chemist...

This afternoon was our animal phone around to check on the dogs and how they are all doing, she didnt answer and I left a message to phone me back and its when I found out about it..

The drops she used were called BLEPH-10

I rang the pharmacy near me and he said that it is a eyedrop for common eye infections... I said it was put in a dogs eye and he seemed to think that it would not harm the dog...might not work on the dog but wouldnt harm it...

Our vet is off and we have to go to the after hours clinic and I actually have no respect for the guy.. I think he is a idiot... I rang and his response was.. Ummm have you ever heard of animal testing??? All this stuff is tested on them ...

I didnt know wether to laugh at his stupidity or cry at ignorance !

Can anyone help me with any info as to wether the dog will be ok?

I have told her NOT to use anymore and suggested she wash the dogs eyes out with some salty water...

Edited by K9-Companions

the ingredients in BLEPH_10 are

BLEPH®-10 solution: Active: Sulfacetamide sodium 10% (100 mg/mL). Preservative: benzalkonium chloride (0.005%).

Inactives: polyvinyl alcohol 1.4%; sodium thiosulfate; sodium phosphate dibasic; sodium phosphate monobasic; edetate disodium; polysorbate 80; hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH; and purified water.

I would take the list of ingredients to the vet or phone and ask :laugh:

Many human medications can be used on dogs and cats...but the vets should be able to tell you what is suitable and what isn't. Know another vet to call perhaps? one that isn't quite so 'unconcerned'?

Mind you...warm salty water would probably do the trick for the dog anyway...

I have been told by my vet in the past that dogs' eyes are very close in pH etc to human eyes, and that human eye meds (at least the generic lubricating types) are generally fine for dogs. For this reason we have a bottle of contact lens saline for washing gummy dog eyes, and the vet recommended this.

Bleph-10 is an over the counter antibiotic eye medication. The active ingredient doesn't appear in any of the common veterinary opthalmic preparations that I can think of, but it is mentioned in passing in the pharmacology text that I have.

I don't think using it would do any harm, but if the discharge were to continue for too much longer I would recommend a vet visit to make sure that nothing else is going on.

Our vet has recently prescribed some eye medication for our dogs who have a bit of an eye infection.

The medication is veterinary medication for animals only and it is called Ilium Chloroint.

The ingredients sound similar- 10mg/g Chloramphenicol 5mg/g Hydro Cortisone Acetate

Sounds pretty similar, I wouldn't be worried.

I use many of our human medicines on our pets with no harm, you are best off checking the list of medicines that you can not give animals, eg; Panadine

The major difference between animal and human medicines is human medicines have been tested on animals first and then human trials are carried out, whereas animal treatments have not gone past the animal testing phase

My kids from time to time come home with the dreaded headlice, the first treatment we used was Maldison (exactly the same as the dog ingredients, but was dearer, being for head lice! then what I could buy in the Produce store) Hope one day we can use Advantix on headlice, it is fantastic with our ticks, should work a treat for the persistent little louse!

Human medicines are a fair bit cheaper then animal ones too, eg: to treat my girl after her Pyo op on Clavilox cost me over $90 just for a 5 day course at the vet, plus a $11 dispensing fee and the consult $45! whereas at the doctor, to get the human form, costs $20 for the script and dispensing, $45 for the consult, you get back $31.85 from Medicare, thank you PBS!!!! :laugh:

Eye ointments are the same and most eye ointments for humans you can use on dogs, just make sure you use the right product, there are ones for infections, dry eye, ulcers etc all do different things. I have used human eye ointments on my dogs (prescribed for the same human condition and my dogs have been great in a few days)

Perhaps if vets didn't add up to 1000% on to their products and make the visit a bit cheaper, people would not go for over the counter medications, the vets are just shooting themselves in the foot. I liked my old vets policy on treatment, but my new vet is so much more clever and goes the extra mile for unheard of conditions. I have no problems with paying for a good service, but I do object to those $11 dispensing fees and 1000% product mark ups :D with my girls pyometra operation, my vet didn't have sunction equipment to remove the puss from her abdominal cavitity so he went through 13 bags of 1litre bagged saline, he hit me up $30 odd per bag (they cost less then $12 each) and $11 per bag for dispensing.

Her $1100 life saving operation, $575 of it came from those salty water bags alone, I was really p***ed off, especially considering I worked for him and used my home office for his work! But he did save her life, my girls breeder stated she has lost bitches on the table with the same form of Pyometra

Vet's get your heads out of the sand!

Edited by holly

my vet didn't have sunction equipment to remove the puss from her abdominal cavitity so he went through 13 bags of 1litre bagged saline, he hit me up $30 odd per bag (they cost less then $12 each) and $11 per bag for dispensing.

Holy Hell!! :laugh:

A bag of Hartmans Solution costs a vet $2.80 to buy from the supplier!!

that is what I thought at the time too Cordie, though didn't realise it was a cheap as that!!! We can thank not only the vets, but also those in charge of pricing up stock for the huge price slugs, I know I had to fight tooth and nail when the new receptionist/invoice/costing clerk moved in to at least keep speys at a affordable price.

Their motto"if you can not afford a vet, you can afford a pet" :rofl:

Her Pyo procedure, entailed a full body function profile, $140, an xray $30, the opening of her abodomen, the flushing out of her abdo cavity ($575) and the removal of ovaries and uterus (spey) ($150), then a 5 day course of AB's (normally $90 + $11 dispensing fee).

I was lucky though, as I had only just got home from work to find her in her state, so was able to get back before staff had left, otherwise I would have been up for after hours consult ($75) and the calling in of a vet nurse, add another $60, I couldn't see how $1100 was justified and I took out pet insurance straight after.

What p***ed me off, was I knew exactly what was wrong, I told my vet I believed it to be pyo because of her previous symptoms, but then they had to do these tests to do what they could have done from the start and explorative op.

When I had my bitch with the vaginal stricture, it cost me $240 = $45 for the consult, $30 path smear to look at a slide under the micrscope, ("I know she is not ready but how about we see whether she is ready or not", stupid me presumed that would be free :crazy: ), then she was put under a GA to 'stretch her'.

We ended up not being able to do a mating, short of resorting to AI and I am not interested in continue unvigorous lines, so that was a heck of a lot of money down the tubes, thankfully the owner of the import stud, didn't charge me $300 for wasting their time :laugh: she is now a speyed pet

I can understand why many pet owners self medicate. If one of my pets was ill, they would be rushed to the vet, but otherwise, I try and treat myself and if no good then they go for a check up, to date the home remedies have usually done the trick

Edited by holly