Caprophagia

~Anne~

I know the reasons why it happens and with my lad the reasons are amplified. ie. the postassium bromide he is on to treat his epilepsy increases his hunger and the combination of his drugs also alters his behaviour.

He eats his own, the cats and the other dogs feaces. He constantly smells now because of this, farts like a brewery horse and the whole deal makes me and my family ill.

I've reprimanded, I've ignored. It is very difficult to cover their droppings with distateful products because the three of them are in the backyard during the day while I am at work and therfore he would be able to eat 'nice tasting' ones while I am not there.

My question is - what works to stop this behaviour?

I have searched the DOL threads about this issue and there are always oodles of suggestions but I'd like to hear from the people who have tried various products and solutions and what the result was.

Edited by Puggles

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it just lovely??? Not! :p

It has been suggested to me to try the Bach flower essence Crabapple. Can't say whether it works or not cause I haven't done it yet! :thumbsup: I'm assuming I would add it to his food....

Luckily I only have two dogs and he only seems to eat his own.... man I've never picked up poo so fast in my life!

Hi Puggles, I can understand why this is so upsetting, it's truly gross. I have a few dogs at the moment, they don't eat each other's poo but if we go to the park, all 4 of them will search for and eat other dog's poo. I give them a really varied and health diet, the vet says I'm just unlucky :thumbsup:

They didn't all do it when I adopted them but they've followed no 1 dog and his dirty habit.

My foxie, if he escapes from my house (rarely), won't come back until he's found a pile of cat or dog poo to consume.

I think the natural health idea is a good one, I haven't tried that, I keep no. 1 dog on the lead to stop him and try and keep the others occupied with a ball game!! Or an animal communicator might work :p

Good luck!

I don't have anything constructive to add, sorry, but will watch to see what pops up :(

Mick does this too, he eats his own, Mia's & next door's cat's BUT he has the awful habit of bringing it inside to munch on the hallway rug :thumbsup:

Luckily for me he likes it when it's dry & crunchy so I can just get out the dustbuster to clean up the crumbs :p

Sorry, bit confused. Is that add pineapple to the food of the dog that is eating poo to stop him craving the poo or adding pineapple to everyone's food so the offending dog finds poo less palatable?

If it's the latter, how would pineapple make poo less appealing? Is it acidic or something?

Is that add pineapple to the food of the dog that is eating poo to stop him craving the poo or adding pineapple to everyone's food so the offending dog finds poo less palatable?

If it's the latter, how would pineapple make poo less appealing? Is it acidic or something?

I wrote this piece for a discussion I had with someone else: (it's easier to cut and paste it, than to re-type ... hope you don't mind) ....

I understand there has been a degree of success with feeding the dog pineapple. It has been thought that that the presence of processed pineapple in dog faeces renders the faeces unattractive, therefore deterring the dog from ingesting its stools.

However, “Bromelain” is an enzyme capable of digesting protein and is found in pineapples. I’m not a nutritionist, but my thoughts on the subject is that perhaps ingestion of pineapple has provided the enzyme necessary for a higher absorption of protein - the dog, its protein requirements having been satiated, is not seeking self supplementation of this nutrient, therefore has no need to ingest its faeces???

The first paragraph would indicate it's about the effect of the pineapple in the faeces that puts dogs off eating it (ie the faeces).

If my own musings in the second paragraph are correct, however, it would be the opposite.

:thumbsup:

I know exatcly where you are comming from... im the one @ my local park screaming NO and diving in front of my boy and another dogs poo while everyoneone @ the park just abouts :p and turn their head in disgust :( ok here is what i have done (as apparenlty its common in beagles and pet shop/puppy mill dogs as they havent had enough nutrients?)... alfafa sprouts, fresh pinneapple- only fresh: cut it up into small pieces and add to all your dogs food- the acidicity on the other side apparently dosent taste too good. you can also see your vet, they may recommend charchol tablets, i havent tried this yet but ive only heard good things about the results. personally i believe alfafa sprouts and constant poo pick ups work better than anything and perhaps ensuring they have enough nurtients in their daily diet before it becomes habit forming :thumbsup:

hehe great topic *wink* In the past I had success with Milk of magnesia..a good old mouth full over a couple of days..no more grazing in the poo.

Dianne

hehe great topic *wink* In the past I had success with Milk of magnesia..a good old mouth full over a couple of days..no more grazing in the poo.

Dianne, what's that??

Is it okay for cats?

In my (very) younger days, Mum used to give us a dose of Milk of Magnesia when we had diarrhea. I don't know what components of it would be effective in ceasing copraphagia. I haven't heard of this being given to dogs, for this purpose, at least. Have no idea of its affect on cats - be careful.

ETA: Milk of Magnesia tastes disgusting. It's like drinking liquid chalk. I don't know which was worse - the symptom or the cure.

Edited by Erny

Agreed Erny..I have no bloody idea why they stopped the practise. it was handed to me by a very old [yep older than me] breeder many years ago.

I did however since the post this morning do some researching..

On one site it said it had been banned in Australia ?? no reason given, and I hadn't heard that.

I would be careful with cats Dru, they are so finiticky

I haven't had the problem recently, other than after bitches whelp [not their pups faeces..their own] natures way of hiding from the world

We make a product called Thrive D which has been known to help. It is a digestive aid which helps dogs absorb the nutrients in their food better and also change the protein content of the faeces making it less attractive to the offending animal. You can feed it to all the animals in your household including cats and you can buy it online or from your local pet shop (they can get it in for you if they dont stock it). There have been a few topics on this so perhaps run a search???

Dr Harry also did a story on this on Better Homes and Gardens and he recommended Thrive D as a solution, so maybe give it a try! Better Homes and Gardens

Its also great for improving your dog's overall condition so it kills two birds with one stone :o

Thanks everyone, I think I will check out Thrive a little more. :o

I also have to be careful that whatever I use for him doesn't affect the absorbtion or thereapy process of the drugs he is on for his epilepsy. As it is we alk a tight line trying to keep the seizures under control.