Grooming In Canberra

Dog world is great, I havnt had my dogs groomed there but I use their baths reguarly and they are all really nice :p ... reminds me I have to take lil Oscar down, he hasnt had a hyrdobath yet :o:laugh: *bad mummy* LOL :laugh:

Wow ... I never thought calling my pup a 'Labradoodle' would create such an emotional and opinionated side topic. Thanks for everyone's advice though WRT grooming. I did pick up the yellow pages and when there were soooooo many groomers, that's when I decided to join a forum to see if someone could recommend one - Thanks to all those who did! :laugh:

Is there anyone who can reccommend a good dog groomer in Canberra please? We have a Labradoodle pup (fleece coat) who daily we pick 30-40 prickles off. We think a trim might be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, yes there is :o i have been intouch with Liz at ET'S Pet Grooming Service 0262319372, she said she would be delighted to groom your Ladradoodle, she said she does quite a few of them, nicestman77 :laugh:

I agree with Xavier, a person has the right to join these forums and ask a question no matter what type of dog they have, be it purebred, cross bred, or whatever.

This was an innocent question on grooming from a dog owner and as such should be answered accordingly.

And No I dont "like" a lot of the dog crosses but I keep my mouth shut.

I hope that Canberra Labradoodle hasnt been put off by his welcome to DOL.

Thanks Hesapandabear ... I joined the forum for some information on grooming and I appreciate the advice I received. I would like to say though that I think the carry on from some on the forum members was ridiculous and childish. We're all supposed to be 'dog' lovers who cares what the 'breed' is. Our family had our reasons for choosing a LABRADOODLE and couldn't be happier with our decision.

Thanks again for those who took the time to help with my enquiry! :love:

Edited by canberra_labradoodle

Wow ... I never thought calling my pup a 'Labradoodle' would create such an emotional and opinionated side topic.

It is because a 'labradoodle' is not a recognised breed, so therefore isn't anything other then a lab x poodle....If you do a search on "designer dogs" Back yard breeds, puppy farms...You will find why we get so upset when people pretend a cross breed to be a real breed!

Our family had our reasons for choosing a LABRADOODLE and couldn't be happier with our decision.

Thank again for those who took the time to help with my enquiry! :love:

I find it very hard to believe that the reason you choice a lab x poodle, couldn't be find in a purebred dog, bred by ethical responsible breeders!

What exactly is a "fleece" coat? As a groomer I haven't heard of that term before...

I have groomed dogs which fur comes off in sheets like sheep but they're the matted neglected coats. Is that what this is?

Back to the topic.

I am looking for a very patient and gentle groomer on North side with their own premises, as we live outside metropolitan area and will have to deliver and pick up. The dog is an aging and little grumpy, set in her ways corgi, blowing her coat at present.

If you have had a positive experience please PM me.

Thanks.

Mickatie

You seem to have missed the point here. If you want a discussion on labradors/poodle crosses or any other "type" of dog, take yourself elsewhere in these forums.

This has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with a question concerning the grooming of a dog, pure and simple.

Mossy, if you are talking about the northside of Canberra, suggest you email Nicestman for advice, he worked as a groomer in Canberra for yonks.

I'm sorry, are you saying that you think my response was rude?

That's right. Also unnecessary and off topic.

If so, I'm offended by that and request you retract

:rofl:

How about YOU retract your unecessary and off topic comments so you don't offend a genuine dog lover who came here seeking advice for a particular concern and nothing else?

Because I was not being rude or patronising, simply stating a fact. There IS no such breed as a labradoodle, a dog of this type IS a lab cross poodle.

Unless we continue to educate people when they make a mistake, we'll have ppl assuming these crossbred dogs are actual breeds when they are not - as another DOLer often says, "education is the key". I am educating this person as to the type of dog they keep b/c there is no such breed as a labradoodle.

OTOH, it seems you were being rude AND patronising in a deliberate manner.

Edit for typo...typ is not a word but type is!

Edited by lillysmum

lillysmum as I said to mickatie:

This is simply not the place to continue on and on and on ad infinitum about whether or not a labradoodle is a breed, a cross breed, or a Heinz all sorts.

The owner of the dog had a question concerning grooming nothing more and nothing less., and has every right to ask a question here without being given a lecture.

I'm sorry that you consider my replies "lectures" b/c that's not my aim. Educating ppl is the beginning of the process not the end. A person is entitled to ask questions about a topic and should also expect replies that go off topic b/c that's human nature, also called hijacking on some forums. We are each entitled to draw on our knowledge in replying to any post on any topic, are we not?

I hope that the OP has managed to find an appropriate groomer for her lab cross. There are so many to choose from in the ACT region that it can't be that difficult to find a good one IMO. :rofl:

I find burs can be a problem for my miniature poodle, too. If a 'fleece' coat is poodle-like, read on, otherwise ignore.

What kind of brush and/or comb do you use? I find a long-tooth comb and slicker brush with rounded pins on the ends good for getting the extra bits out of my dogs coat- sand, prickly things etc. (he's active). Slicker brush with the rounded ends seems gentler and he hated the slicker brush I had without them.

My dog only become matted at the elbows when I'd left combing, brushing and clipping too long (learned from experience!).

Also, washing your dog when his coat's wet will make any tangles/ minor matting worse.

A good clip will give you a 'clean slate' to start with.

Addit: Please don't take the 'labradoodle' argument personally. It's directed at breeders, not the dogs themselves. We all love dogs!