Dog Training Treats

sandyl

I've tried so many different treats and toys to get Spencer motivated. But he still wants other dogs over anything. Tonight at agility training he was a bit of a handful. Trying to get to the other dogs to play ect. (He's two years old.)

So, my question is..What did you do to get your dog to like you more then anything else? Eg:a running dog

maybe it isn't food so you need to find a toy, something special that he might like, something that makes a noise or a special tug toy or a teddy with a squeak.

Not all dogs are food motivated, most are but those that aren't need a high value reward, just special for training days, not for regular use.

Have a look around an agility/obedience comp and you will see all sorts of stuff used as reward.

we use a lot of different things just depends though i try to keep it healthy i make meatballs with vegies and vitamins in them so that he gets good food as he isnt a big eater and i want to ensure he gets all his good stuff. Ive found things like hot dog cheese upset the tummy make him gassy and liver if they get too much can gve them the runs

We also use toys

We also do a lot of running away throwing food rolling in the grass with the dogs anything t make playing with me more fun thatthose silly other dogs.

yb

great tips YB i have started this game with toby,,, when we are at park etc or even just at home walk off and see what happens,, he soon comes running..lol. dodge on the other hand comes eventually but would rather go explore first..

If there are distractions around- like at obedience class, my treats have to be as smelly as possible.

tiny pieces of vintage cheese, dried whiting (cat treats- I break them up), mini salami sticks from the deli(they are thinner than my little finger)- I slice them thinly.

When I'm at home anything will do- I usually use cat kibble (they are always waiting for me to forget to pick the cat bowl up anyway lol), pistachios, and dried liver treats.

When I'm at the park or the beach it doesn't matter what treats I use- she isnt interested and will let them fall out of her mouth.

Hi yogibear

Maybe the trick is to go back to square one and teach him how to play with a toy.

Tease the living daylights out of him with something he has looked at but not played with.

Don't give it to the dog, put it away in a place that is going to be special for the item.

Do it often, make a fuss of the item by being silly and going to the place where it is, take it out, play with it, toss it, do anything so that eventually the dog will understand that it is a fun thing.

After that then you can get down on the floor with the item, have the dog near and toss it away from the dog. Then you go and grab it and make a fuss of it. If the dog eventually goes to it Praise. then put it away.

Get the picture?

Somewhere on the internet is an item of getting the dog motivated with a toy but I can't remember where.

I'm sure members of DOL will let you know.

Happy training

Sorry YB did get the names mixed up. I must not sckip things, I must read from the first thread not halfway down.

The sight you had was the one I was thinking about and I'm sure there is one on the clicker site. Not Karen Pryor's one but another girl.

I'll see if I can find it for you GSD_crazy

Hi Gsd -crazy

If you go into Show ring section look for the topic started

by SHEPIN on the 31st of August 2005 [Can Someone Please Help]

Gsd Pup you may find some information that might help and you

email those forum members who may have had success I know some

of them had a lot of fun trying and that is one of the main things with

you and your best mate

love my german shepherds

kojak :confused::laugh::scold:

Thats the one mate :confused:

I have to learn how I can bring those links up without going all the way back