Puppy Scoffing Down Food?

My now nearly 12 week old puppy is a PIG...it is really gross to watch her eat, in the litter her nickname was miss piggy always on the milk bar and scoffing her face, but now it is just getting really bad, to the point were she is making herself sick and giving herself the hiccups.

I have tried putting a large rock in the bowl to slow her down, so she would eat around it, didnt seem to phase her at all she just gulped around the rock and then licked the rock to make sure it didnt taste like anything!

It is not as though she is underfed I give her 3 meals a day, she is not skinny nor fat, she is a good size!

Any ideas? :confused:

Edited by mickatie

I put cocos food in with puppy milk, that way she has to drink the milk then get to the food and by the time she has had the milk she has slowed down a bit.

The only other suggestions I have seen in other threads when I was researching this for myself (but haven't tried - the liquid idea worked the first time) is to raise the bowl, or put a few large rocks in, making it a bit harder.

sounds like a long distance mushers dreem dog :rofl: they breed for this very trate. adding liqued to the food can help, i have added water to my boys food to prevent what you are experiancing it worked ok but now i just give him the food he has lernt not to choke on it.

I always put water in with my "gulpers" meal. He eats so fast that if we don't he throws it back up.He is 7 now and still inhales his food and chokes himself on it. When we put the water in he has to slow down to get it in and actually manages to eat without making himself sick

Why don't you try feeding using a Kong and/or treat ball.

double bonus here

1. she can't gulp the food down and 2. it'll keep her busy for a while and out of mischief

Just go and buy a large Kong and stuff her wet food into this. You could even try freezing the food in the kong so it'll take her even longer. And a medium to large treat ball if you also feed dry. You may need to teach her how to use it but if she is that keen on eating she'll have it figured out in no time. Also as she gets older the extra exercise the treat ball offers will help with any excess weight as she will have to work for her food.

Also you could hand feed for a while and when she snatches the food put the bowl on the table/kitchen bench and walk away for 10 mins, then go back and start again. everytime she snatches take the food away she'll soon learn not to snatch. After she gets used to this idea you could put the bowl down and if she gulps take it away. I wouldn't recommend this for an older dog expecially of the large breeds if they were food agressive though.

• 3 weeks later...

MIRACLE...I worked it out :cry:

I will show you how.

Whilst I was washing all the bowls, I turned Myshkas bowl over to wash the bottom of it, and I found the PERFECT solution to her gulping, I now feed her from the bottom of the bowl and just shove the food done the cracks, all I had to do was turn it over, I have attached a picture of the sort of bowl she eats out of and just imagine it turned over :cry:

post-6159-1141168573.jpg