Improving Coat Condition

lovegsds

I live in a warm summer climate with GSD's. Their coats are just coming back, any ideas how to get their coats back into a good condition for a big show in a couple of weeks. They are predominatly on dry food Eukanuba. Time is running out, help!!

I was feeding fish oil caps too, also Olewo can help, but since I have been feeding the Big Dog The Edge and Coprice kibble, that is all they have needed in their diet, I love the way they are looking, one is in full chat season, so has dropped all her coat, as has another young girl, both have very shiny coats, pity they are stark naked, lol

I live in a warm summer climate with GSD's. Their coats are just coming back, any ideas how to get their coats back into a good condition for a big show in a couple of weeks. They are predominatly on dry food Eukanuba. Time is running out, help!!

Hi there, the dry foods lack oils which are need for a good coat in good condition, what I would do is to when you feed the dogs put a tablespoon of vegetable old/new oil mixed in with the Eukanuba, that will treat the coat from the inside out, add I would pop down to your local $2 shop, they sometimes have the shampoo called (Pantene) cheap, the one that makes younger girls look young again,IE; a couple fo days, well it works on dog coats as well, try it now, and time how long it takes for the coat to look just right for the days show coming up, the last thing want is on the day, hair(that you can't do anything with) it might even pay to rinse their coats with a anti dandruff shampoo just incase they have skin complaint needing it, do this now, I suggest that sometimes give the dogs a diet of fish (tuna/sardines/oil) as well but sometimes dogs that have been on dry foods can't tolerate fish , even give them fish oil tablets with some pecks paste on the outside of the capsul, most dry dogfood is packed with corn packers, and that leads to dry skin (corn meal), I would change their diet to food you prepare yourself your dogs will be much happier, the brand you are buying is not cheap, if you was to buy chucksteak the same value the dogs will be more healther as they need less food, remember dogs are K9 species (carnivora), not vegetarians(corn packer), some vegetarian people give their animals Brewers yeast that causes hot spots, and bad skin conditions,and are always at the vets with dog skin complaints. the only other trouble could be is that they are not cold enough to grow a full coat, a laundy is a good place to find cold nights, nicestman77.

Give them a wash, place in a spray bottle conditioner mixed with water. Spray, rub, leave in. This works for our lot, but each and every dog is different.

Good luck.

edit: spelling

Edited by pesh

raw eggs, sardines are good too. My dogs only get dry and an egg three or four days a week and always look great.

I have to disagree with you on the raw egg bit there, kelpiecuddles. Raw egg white contains 'avidin' which is a protein that binds with Biotin (a B vitamin) thereby making it impossible for the body to absorb it. Once the egg white is cooked that is no longer a problem but I hear this all the time about giving dogs raw eggs and it is not a good idea. It's best to boil the eggs or separate the egg yolk from the white and give the dog the yolk only.

I have known this for a long time and managed to find a link that discusses this issue:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/biotin/

Raw egg white contains 'avidin' which is a protein that binds with Biotin (a B vitamin) thereby making it impossible for the body to absorb it

What I learnt from this board is that if you include the yolk (ie feed a whole egg) it cancels out this effect? :laugh:

The only thing you can't feed them is egg white by itself.

I'd try the egg, sardines or omega oil.

If you're still not happy try Biolac coat conditioner - Livamol only enchances 'chestnut/red' colourings in the coat.