Tear Stains, Again............................

pesh

Hi

I've been keeping my eye on Agro-bears post and past posts about tear stains.

I would worry about using paroxide so close to the eyes.

The liquid stain remover dosen't seem to do much at all.

I was wondering what do the groomers use to get that instant result ?

I think the whole thing is that you just have to live with tearstains unless you do something about them every day. :cry:

Personally, I'm not a groomer but I have had Maltese and other long-hair tearstaining breeds - I find that I work on them every day and don't have to worry on show day.

Peroxide is simply bleaching the colour to eliminate the stain temporarily but if you don't know what you're doing like with blonde human hair, you will end up with a green or yellow tinge, "burnt" hair around the eyes - for leaving the bleach too long or yes, an injured animal. Too dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

I always add Apple Cider Vinegar (good cloudy stuff) to my dogs' water and this seems to reduce tear staining after approx. a month. Reduces it amazingly but does not eliminate it. I don't know exactly how it works but it does!!

Use the commercial wipes every day or alternatively some people use bi-carb paste or toothpaste - once again, this stings if it gets in the eyes. Both have a slightly bleaching effect.

Instant results just don't happen - HARD WORK makes it happen! :cry:

I was wondering what do the groomers use to get that instant result ?

:cry: We cut the hair off :cry:

nb: not ideal on a show dog! I agree with T-time you have to work at it and I've advised some of my clients to add ACV to their food/water and it is slowly making a difference.

Thanks for the answers so far.

I realise it's an everyday event with some breeds :cry: (I have a Malt and Pom myself), but when you doing someone elses dog and being paid for it, I'd like to be able to give their dog back looking at least slightly better around the eye's than when they handed them over. ;)

:D :cry::):cry: :p :cry: :p :mad :p :) :p :o :p :o :p

We usually trim the hair away from the eys, but the number which we do which have gunky eyes is amazing, what is to stop the owner using a damp warm cloth daily to remove the gunk?.

I was given a tip by a Lowchen exhibitor, and that is to dust a little potato flour (with your finger tip) where the tear stains are, it wont completely remove but it certainly helps.

Tear stains can also be caused by dyes in their food.

Firstly you would want to find out if theres any medical reason for heavy tears,after that its purely daily hygiene around the eyes.We get clients who want the dog to go home white & stain free & as we say we can do our part but they have to do the daily stuff.We wont apply anything for a quick fix.

Just like my white showdog if i dont maintain the urine areas he will stain & go yellow its done to daily maintaince

Hi all,

I have a sheltie that had has a problem with one eye leaving tear stains, since I have moved out of mum and dads away from that area his eye has virtually cleared up. Maybe it could have something to do with where they live??

Occasionally he'll have a bad day or two (really windy) but I'm amazed at how well it has cleared up. Fingers crossed it stays this way...

Edited by sheltielover

Ahh, Pesh - I see what your getting at now :)

Except for showdogs, every professional groomer seems to clip around the eyes to remove the tear stains :cry: I concentrate on my own dogs so they don't really get them but any rescues I've had go straight to a professional and the tearstains come off with CLIPPERS :cry:

Most show people do take the time to concentrate on the eye stain.

Take a look at any pet SWF coming out of a salon and you'll see the same thing - eyes are all clipped off :mad Most pet owners don't spend the time wiping the eyes every day - just as they can be more slack about matts :cry:

It's the easiest solution and looks suitable to the pet owner :cry:

• 4 months later...
I think the whole thing is that you just have to live with tearstains unless you do something about them every day. :o

I always add Apple Cider Vinegar (good cloudy stuff) to my dogs' water and this seems to reduce tear staining after approx. a month. Reduces it amazingly but does not eliminate it. I don't know exactly how it works but it does!!

Use the commercial wipes every day or alternatively some people use bi-carb paste or toothpaste - once again, this stings if it gets in the eyes. Both have a slightly bleaching effect.

I have some questions about tear staining so thought I would use this thread rather than start a new one. My questions are:

1. How much ACV do you add to their food. I tried a capful a day in food for a week (3kg dog) with no effect (I see now that I should have waited longer!). I'm worried about using too much and making her system acidic.

2. By 'daily maintenace' do you mean using a tear stain remover every day?

3. How much tear staining is too much? Blossom seems to have more tear staining than other dogs I've come across, and the area below her eyes is always moist with tears. I was wondering if a lot of tears/tear staining might indicate a problem?

This is Blossom. Not a great pic ;) but you can see her Panda eyes :)

post-6387-1152602359_thumb.jpg

If you want a permament fix ~ Change the dog's food to the very best you can afford..

No artificial anything :o

No byproducts or generic meat, poultry etc. Animals and birds have names.

First two or three ingredients named chicken, beef, lamb, herring etc.

If you can, remove soy, corn and wheat.

It's probably easier to feed raw or home cook.

Cavaliers, like most smaller breeds are suseptable to staining but my dog has no staining at all now. Feed him poorer food and his eyes start watering and the staining is back within a few days.

Live ACV is good for them anyway and it may help, he gets that in his food as he will not drink enough if I dose his water bowl.

Some breeders are using butter milk powder in their dogs food, no idea if it helps though.

Although some stain removers make the dog look better the fur usually ends up very porous and then it stains even easier. White regrowth = Sucess :)

Best.

Edited by Ashka

Thanks Ashka,

I feed my guys dry food (Hills puppy or Eagle pack holistic) or chicken necks for brekky, and BARF - my recipe - for dinner. The meat I use is from the butcher and is (supposedly!) minced chicken carcasses and minced kangaroo. I dont put any wheat, soy or corn in the mix (just fruit, vegies and brewers yeast).

They get some commerical treats though for training (schmako's type things). Could this be the problem?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "live ACV". Maybe I have brought the wrong sort?

Hi BittyMooPeep,

Most pet mince has Sulfur Dioxide added to make it look red & fresh, it kills the thaimine in the meat as well as not being very good for the dog. They do not have to list it on pet food but why the heck they ruin good food I don't know. Human grade mince, chicken frames, pieces of meat, beef heart etc are a better bet or a friendly local butcher who will agree not to add the Sulfur Dioxide or anything else :-)

I'd change the treats if you can, I won't ask what's on the ingredient list .. lol. Artificial colours plus preseravatives I'd expect.

You could use dried liver or plain cheddar cheese. I can get dried liver slices from the pet food bulk bins at the local supermarket, might be worth a look. ZiwiPeak treats are another option (air dried raw) A few cheap multi coloured cat biscuits are enough to get my dog's eyes watering. The darn cat won't eat anything else.

Live ACV is cloudy, some cheaper brands are heated to kill the 'mother' so the ACV is clear and is of very little use except for flavour. I use NZ's Comvita brand HoneyGar, live ACV with' the mother' plus honey, good for the dog and I use it in sweet & sour sauces. It's not cheap though.

All the best in getting rid of the darn staining.

Edited by Ashka